Just learning and really need some guidance.

Thread: Just learning and really need some guidance.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Just learning and really need some guidance.

I can't get a viable solution within Camworks of my model. -> Just learning and really need some guidance.-ivnrtfi-jpg I can AFR the part and it works fine but that little wing is not milled down and I have come close to getting it but nothing I would write home about and even then I had to make a new sketch just of the outline for smoothing that curve. Seems really odd to me that I have to add anything but the model for it to work with so I know I am doing something wrong.

Any ideas and suggestions as I am spinning my wheels and getting really no where.

Thank you.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Just learning and really need some guidance.

Depending on the settings and how the part was modeled (splines) I'd use an open pocket and also a boss feature to sort out the outside profile.

Shouldn't be too hard a part to get right far is great, but it can't read your mind in the way you want to machine the part.

Have you taken any training for CAMWorks from your reseller?

Your resseler should really be your first "port of call" if you're struggling but were always here to help to

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I never use splines in my SW work but what could be the reason for it not picking up the wing? I come from a 3d printer world where it works from the bottom up not the top down so this part is very easy for it to do but AFR will not see that I have to go down 5mm, while retaining the curves (fillet), and cut away that much material.

As far as training goes I have not as I didn't pay anything extra for training since I come from a 3d graphics background and can easily manipulate SW and make parts. If I need to be specially trained for CAMWorks I may need to look for an external CAM program and see if it can do it. If nothing will take a part and just simply slice it then that shows there is a software issue that when someone makes something as simple as a slicing program for 3d printers but for a CNC mill they will have the ultimate product.

Solved it but it took having to add an extra sketch to do it and a couple of contours and a rough. It worked but so archaic.

Just learning and really need some guidance.-solved-jpg

Last edited by Dark Alchemist; 07-27-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Machining isn't printing, you need to have some I put into how you want the job to work,

Printing you build up microns at a time, it takes hours and isn't strong enough to last an hour, machining takes .125" cuts manufactures the parts in minutes and they last for decades,

CAMWorks has some of the most advanced afr of any cam system, but even after afr you as the machinist will need to make some choices, leadin, out, depths of cut, cutters to use etc, I really think you should invest some time and some money in some good quality training. Especially if you are new to manufacturing,

If you just wish to do that tab all you would need to do is use a corner slot.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jame5m28 View Post
    Machining isn't printing, you need to have some I put into how you want the job to work,

Printing you build up microns at a time, it takes hours and isn't strong enough to last an hour, machining takes .125" cuts manufactures the parts in minutes and they last for decades,

CAMWorks has some of the most advanced afr of any cam system, but even after afr you as the machinist will need to make some choices, leadin, out, depths of cut, cutters to use etc, I really think you should invest some time and some money in some good quality training. Especially if you are new to manufacturing,

If you just wish to do that tab all you would need to do is use a corner slot.
    I agree with a lot of that and not with some of that. What I need is to learn, not take years as some understudy either, the techniques as the techniques still work (or am I wrong) for using with the metric system as that is what I do all of my CAD in.

Downloads
    Uploads

If your view of milling is that it should be like 3d printing then you have some major misconceptions about machining. Machining is a whole different ballgame. I have seen a few other similar threads to this one recently. The basic questions why doesn't the software output code that works automatically without my input for example. The only variable in 3d printing software is to print the area related to the model in slices. Simple for a computer. To machine a part there a hundreds of variables that need to be considered and alot of that info is unknown. In machining you have to know the tool diameter, how deep you can cut in a pass, what areas you don't want to cut, additional material that also has to be removed, etc etc. As far as I know there is no cam software that can fill in all the blanks for you. If you find one or better yet make one let me know I'd love to see it. In the mean time you will have to understand how machining works. You don't need to take classes or training to get what you want. You will have to dedicate some time to watching tutorials on YouTube about general machining and cam software. Watch some g-code tutorials as well. Have fun but don't rush into things. Unlike printing machining is capable of being highly dangerous/deadly.

Ben

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bhurts View Post
    If your view of milling is that it should be like 3d printing then you have some major misconceptions about machining. Machining is a whole different ballgame. I have seen a few other similar threads to this one recently. The basic questions why doesn't the software output code that works automatically without my input for example. The only variable in 3d printing software is to print the area related to the model in slices. Simple for a computer. To machine a part there a hundreds of variables that need to be considered and alot of that info is unknown. In machining you have to know the tool diameter, how deep you can cut in a pass, what areas you don't want to cut, additional material that also has to be removed, etc etc. As far as I know there is no cam software that can fill in all the blanks for you. If you find one or better yet make one let me know I'd love to see it. In the mean time you will have to understand how machining works. You don't need to take classes or training to get what you want. You will have to dedicate some time to watching tutorials on YouTube about general machining and cam software. Watch some g-code tutorials as well. Have fun but don't rush into things. Unlike printing machining is capable of being highly dangerous/deadly.

Ben
    I never said it should do it all but it sure should be able to slice up the model without my intervention and when that is done I can go in and change the things I need to. For instance the model I showed AFR would not detect that the "tab" went 5mm down and I had to tell it via my method or using another mill feature it also had me using bits I will never own (sorry 700-900 dollars is out of my ball bark for an 8mm square shoulder mill) so I need to go back in and change them to the tools I have via a new tool crib. Things like that I expect to do manually and lead in/lead out is not that important, from what I have watched and read, for any work I plan on doing. Wood and 6061 is all I plan on working with.

I suspect I will use scrap wood for a long while to learn then branch up to my 6061 to save cost of failures until I learn enough to do the jobs I wish to do.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you really want to mill your part like a 3d printer does. You can use 3Axis milling operations which will let you do slicing machining......... In our company, for some reasons we do use 3Axis operations to machine a part which would be machined by 2.5Axis operations normally.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoisee View Post
    If you really want to mill your part like a 3d printer does. You can use 3Axis milling operations which will let you do slicing machining......... In our company, for some reasons we do use 3Axis operations to machine a part which would be machined by 2.5Axis operations normally.
    To do that wouldn't that eliminate the AFR though so I would have to do it all manually?

Downloads
    Uploads

To be honestly, no one will use 3axis milling to mill your part.... that should be milled using 2.5 axis milling or 3D metal printer ( but I think it is too expensive atm ). Although AFR is powerful but I think your part is too difficult for it to handle. Sometimes, you just need to create sketches to help you finishing the job. As for AFR, it is only for 2.5axis milling, not for 3axis milling which is used to machine 3D shape ( so you need to select faces that you want to machine, but if you are going to machine whole part, just click that whole part icon. ) Another thing you have to consider is that if you have the tool to do the job? Some features just need special tools to machine... too many to consider..... so that is why 3D metal printer is so amazing

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoisee View Post
    To be honestly, no one will use 3axis milling to mill your part.... that should be milled using 2.5 axis milling or 3D metal printer ( but I think it is too expensive atm ). Although AFR is powerful but I think your part is too difficult for it to handle. Sometimes, you just need to create sketches to help you finishing the job. As for AFR, it is only for 2.5axis milling, not for 3axis milling which is used to machine 3D shape ( so you need to select faces that you want to machine, but if you are going to machine whole part, just click that whole part icon. ) Another thing you have to consider is that if you have the tool to do the job? Some features just need special tools to machine... too many to consider..... so that is why 3D metal printer is so amazing
    Yep, but lets be realistic a FDM type metal machine will never ever have the structural integrity of a solid piece that has been milled down.

As far as the tool for the job yeah, it is insane that it wants more for the surface tool than my entire 3 axis mill so we have to use what we have. What do you mean the whole part icon? Have a screen capture to show me what you mean?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Alchemist View Post
    Yep, but lets be realistic a FDM type metal machine will never ever have the structural integrity of a solid piece that has been milled down.

As far as the tool for the job yeah, it is insane that it wants more for the surface tool than my entire 3 axis mill so we have to use what we have. What do you mean the whole part icon? Have a screen capture to show me what you mean?
    I think you could learn a lot from a few days with someone that knows how to run,the software, speak to the people you bought it from, explain that you need some help, and invest the time and money in taking it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have run into this numerous times. People will say "but it should do it THIS way!" No. You use what you have and learn what it CAN do and work within it's limitations. We had a machinist who came from a Mastercam backround and he would not stop complaining about how Mastercam did it differently. Sigh. It got old quick. The key to any Cam system is to learn how it does it. And when you add in learning machining from an additive backround, well the learning curve is steeper.
    I've been using CAMWorks for 7 years now and have found AFR to be of limited use at best. I make sketches to make CAMWorks do what I want to make good parts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    ...I've been using CAMWorks for 7 years now and have found AFR to be of limited use at best. I make sketches to make CAMWorks do what I want to make good parts.
    Rather idiotic at best, and to think you paid all of that money but don't really have a use for its most advertised time saving feature? Seems to me that if this overly hyped feature sucks that bad they should fix it, drop the price by a large amount, or close its doors. Since they aren't doing any of those I suspect it works just right for a lot of people.

Downloads
    Uploads

We make surgical instruments with odd shapes so you are probably partly right. If you make boxes or other regularly shaped parts I would bet AFR works just fine. As you saw with your semi odd shaped part, AFR didn't do the job. My point was only that if it's not working, go onto what does work. I have had success in using sketches or features that I manually picked. That's all. I don't consider AFR's failures (or mine) to be the final word. Still have to get parts out the door. I suspect I came off not as I intended in my first post. Just trying to say the CAM works. Just work with it in it's limitations.