Price of Camworks

Thread: Price of Camworks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Price of Camworks

OK, I am being given an initial quote of $11,400.00 for 3axis with SW core concepts and CW mill fundamentals. I like what I see except for this. $2,850.00 out of this is maintenance. So we have $8,550 for the software and this takes me to 33% for annual fees. Are these guys for real??? What have you paid and just how badly are they trying to gouge me? Or even worse is this their standard offer? I am thinking here about Featurecam for instance which is a fine program to. It costs more but runs right at $1,600.00 for $13,000.00 of software.

What is even scarrier is that my quote was a total of $11,400.00 - $2,000.00 discount to $9,400.00. Out of this is the first years fees which leaves basically $6,550.00 for the software. That brings the yearly fees up to 43% which is BY FAR the highest I have ever heard of for anything.

What did you pay?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I might be wrong but last time when I was trying on get in to I think my quote was around $20,000 I thought he was including the machine ha ha J/K but no thank you. for the stuff I do way to much money.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

C'mon guys, 100+ views and only one has bought or knows anything about pricing?

Downloads
    Uploads

What reseller are you using? The maintenance fee seems really high, unless that is solidworks and camworks maintenance together? I can't seem to find my quote, but iirc the yearly fee is around $1,500 for a single seat of camworks. I already own solidworks so I have to pay them maintenance directly.

Just when you thought you had it all figured out, all hell breaks loose..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maintenance fees for cad and cam software can be up into the thousands of dollars depending on what you have and how many licenses you have. I know of companies that spend way more than that. I guess the big question is what do you get for what you pay for. With maintenance you get the new release of the software when it comes out so you don't have to repurchase it at list price and you should get technical support as well. There is cam software out there that are free or cheap if money is the issue. Sounds like you are looking at both SolidWorks and CamWorks both of which are not dirt cheap products. My dad always told me you get what you pay for. See if they can give you any references to see if other customers have gotten what they paid for.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for replies all. Yes I know about software costs and have been accustomed to $3,000.00+ per year for some time. But in general maintenance seems to run 15 to 18% of the purchase price for yearly fees. This Camworks dealer is like double that on his best proposal and what I am trying to find out is is this typical for Camworks or this VAR just wants to stick it to me. As a stand alone version of Camworks there is a solids only SW program in there but it is not a capable design version. I think as an addon for instance it retails for one or two thousand. I have asked for quotes from two other VARS who sell in my area and they have not responded yet so once again I am in the middle of price tag circle jerk with VAR's.

I thought NX Cam Express was really really bad at 22%. This Camworks VAR takes gouging to a whole new level.

I still would greatly appreciate someone who is a current Camworks customer giving me the lowdown on what your actual costs are.

Downloads
    Uploads

You know to be honest unless you really need to have that particular program but if I were you I would rather get some other program.I dont know what kind of stuff you do there is some other programs that you can get for a fraction of that. and also they are compatible with solidworks.I rather use my money on tools or having cash flow that is a peace of mind.But like I said everybody has a different case. I was the same way I wanted to get camworks really bad but when they send me the quote I was like HUH? I just took a different direction. I'm glad a did that.

Downloads
    Uploads

I work for a VAR myself. CWX maintenance is closer to the $1500 someone else mentioned. I would think $3k would be high even if it was for CWX and SWX together.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I looking to buy solidworks and camworks and they quoted me $7500 for the mill-turn and its $1125 yearly only if you want. At anytime I can do the maintenance and get the new year update. But honestly Im not sure if Im going to go with camworks or not. This is my first cnc lathe Im buying and just learning now. Ive heard good thing about Bobcam and is not bad price. They say camworks is the best there is and it really help with user error.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If your looking at buying a premium CAM addin for Solidworks look around a bit more.
    I have used Camworks at my last company and it was pretty poor. Not straight forward to use, always having to sketch contain and avoid areas - though its been a couple of years.
    I've been looking for quite some time and now are about to spend 40k on SolidCam, which is the best option for me as it is also well supported in Australia.
    Support is what you want with your CAM, for training tips & post-processing mods.
    Camworks in AUS was/is poorly supported.

I've just checked the quotes for SolidCam - yearly maintanance is around 12%.
    Maintanance is very worthwhile as technology & machining strategies are improving all the time (should be improving...).
    If you plan to be in buisiness for some time then I suggest keep up with yearly maintanance.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I should have been more detail. 7500+1125 for cam works mill-turn. Since we have an lathe with y axis live tooling. Solid works was 3995+1295 for basic. Now she told me solid works was on special. It normally 7000+ for standard. Solid work is also running a special when you buy the standard you get a free update to the next one which is believe is preimun. So 12,000 into the two with these special plus maintience.

I've hear good stuff about bobcam. But there so many out there and there just to many opinions and it gets you confused and you never know what to believe or try. You basically need to try it out before buying it!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Price of Camworks

Quote Originally Posted by cncDecoder View Post
    If your looking at buying a premium CAM addin for Solidworks look around a bit more.
    I have used Camworks at my last company and it was pretty poor. Not straight forward to use, always having to sketch contain and avoid areas - though its been a couple of years.
    I've been looking for quite some time and now are about to spend 40k on SolidCam, which is the best option for me as it is also well supported in Australia.
    Support is what you want with your CAM, for training tips & post-processing mods.
    Camworks in AUS was/is poorly supported.

I've just checked the quotes for SolidCam - yearly maintanance is around 12%.
    Maintanance is very worthwhile as technology & machining strategies are improving all the time (should be improving...).
    If you plan to be in buisiness for some time then I suggest keep up with yearly maintanance.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You sound like a solidcam dealer,, only Solidcam reseller in melbourne packed his bag and joined to work at Okuma so Solidcam users are in a limbo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Price of Camworks

Quote Originally Posted by camcnc View Post
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You sound like a solidcam dealer,, only Solidcam reseller in melbourne packed his bag and joined to work at Okuma so Solidcam users are in a limbo
    True mate, but you should be able to see my post was 4 years ago - things have certainly changed now. Entire manufacturing sector in Australia is struggling a bit at the moment, unless you're in a niche market.

I'm not a SolidCam dealer, just a user. Is SolidCam perfect - far from it... Better than Camworks - for me still much better.