Does Camsoft support "hot swap" tool changers

Thread: Does Camsoft support "hot swap" tool changers

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Does Camsoft support "hot swap" tool changers

Just wondering if anyone has done a hot swap tool changer yet with Camsoft.
    The kind of system that puts the tool back in the next available pot and remembers where it has put it for the next time it calls the same tool.

I'm looking at a floor standing unit Something like this to give me more tools..
    Not using Camsoft but this might tempt me to change!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

John.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

The beauty of Camsoft is that any sort of custom routine is easy to do.

That said, the closest empty spot is always going to be where you just took the tool from. If you needed to get tricky you could look at all empty spots and find the empty spot closest to your next tool and preposition the tool changer while you're still cutting.

Large changers from the era of the one pictured often ran only one direction. Rebuilding the unit for both directions could save a ton of tool change time.

Karl

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Karl. The type I had in mind like you rightly say puts the used tool back in the pot the new tool is taken out of and updates the tool library to show tool in it's new carosel slot but with the same tool number.

It's how all machines seem to do it these days but I have seen 80's machines with this method too so it's nothing new.

That said a slower system that puts the tool back where it came from would be much easier to programme I expect!

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlyZmu6uiac"]YouTube- 0.9 Second Tool Change on a Makino Horizontal Machining Center Automatic Tool Changer (ATC)

John.

Downloads
    Uploads

We do offer 2 pre-written logic routines that put the tool back in the next available pot and remembers where it has put it for the next time it calls the same tool called "random access" tool changer routines that are fully user
    customizable.

These include chain driven tool changer routines much like the one in the photo. There are also hydraulic turrets, ones for un-equal tool spacing and routines takes the shortest route to next tool.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    support@camsoftcorp.com
    PH 951-674-8100
    Fax 951-674-3110
    www.cnccontrols.com

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys random access was the word I was looking for..and now I know I can do this with Camsoft sounds great.

Does Camsoft also do pitch error comp along an axis travel like the Fanuc controls ?

John.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cnc-it View Post

Does Camsoft also do pitch error comp along an axis travel like the Fanuc controls ?

John.
    you betcha

Karl

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

These type of toolhangers require the tool changer to do operations while the CNC is preforming motion to save time. For instance they usually prestage tools with a T# call with no M6. It would seem imposible for the PC to process the I/O events for this while issuing motion commands to the Galil, especially if the G code were small segment code.

The non random ones would start machining as soon as the new tool was in the spindle and the PLC would take care of putting the old tool back where it goes in the magazine.

Darek

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HillBilly View Post
    These type of toolhangers require the tool changer to do operations while the CNC is preforming motion to save time. For instance they usually prestage tools with a T# call with no M6. It would seem imposible for the PC to process the I/O events for this while issuing motion commands to the Galil, especially if the G code were small segment code.

The non random ones would start machining as soon as the new tool was in the spindle and the PLC would take care of putting the old tool back where it goes in the magazine.

Darek
    I'm not sure of the technical details, but I'd conjecture that you could put some logic in the timer.fil that will execute simultaneously with a running program. Of course, you'd probably want to provide an exit for any logic loop designed to oversee completion of prestaging.

I do make use of the timer to get real time rpm off the spindle encoder (lathe). The logic runs whenever the spindle is turning, so gcode is being executed.

I think most of the other camsoft provided files tend to execute in sequential fashion, for example the gcode, mcode or macro.fils

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

We offer some further advantages that allow the user to go beyond the 256 point equally spaced pitch table Fanuc provides.

Our tables break the 256 point limits and allow un-equally spaced compensation point to be entered.

We also have other error correction tables that work in conjunction at the same time with the pitch error table.

1. Bi-directional lead screw error compensation

2. Pitch error variation when the ball screw threads are not of equal proportion

3. Lead screw bowing compensation for bent screws

4. Misaligned or titled angle comp when the screw in mounted at an angle

5. Reverse direction error compensation

6. Volumemetric 3D compensation for table sagging in the Z axis

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    support@camsoftcorp.com
    PH 951-674-8100
    Fax 951-674-3110
    www.cnccontrols.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, it is possible to perform the tool changer sequence while cutting in a routine that runs separately & independently from the other processes. We have been doing this for Tool Changers, Pallet changers, Part catchers, Robotic arms ect...at the same time XYZABC axes are cutting the part for several years.

The system can process many events at the same time in everyday situations within the INPUTIO.FIL or TIMER.FIL files as HuFlungDung mentions. We posted yesterday how the CNC can do more than one task at a time.

When a routine needs special attention or focus on a task the BACKGROUND command will process a logic sequence in the background while cutting the part. There's also a POSITION command that can move another separate axis for example a tool changer servo while XYZ are cutting with independent motion and control.

These commands are unique commands to CamSoft's Professional version.

Recently we showed a gentleman how his CNC could do texting as fast as a school girl of cycle status information to his cell phone in a background process while the CNC was cutting.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    support@camsoftcorp.com
    PH 951-674-8100
    Fax 951-674-3110
    www.cnccontrols.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I see so the carousel chain could be putting the next tool in position whilst the present tool is still machining..that way the tool change arm will do an instant straight swap when the tool change is called in the G code and not have to wait for the carousel to position the tool before doing a tool change..sounds great.

The pitch error comp sound excellent also..seems to have everything that the Fanuc controls have.

At the moment my encoders go to the master board on my Fanuc and there is a frequency to velocity converter so the control can read speed and position from one encoder..no tach needed.

Does the Galil card do the same thing..I just wire my encoders to it and it controls the drive accordingly..?
    I have Fanuc differential encoders 2000ppr and analogue dc drives.

John.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not saying it can't be done, I would love to see the code to do it.

What I am saying "by the time you get it working right you will wish you had used a PLC instead". That is based on my experience with your software and these type of tool changers.

Darek

Downloads
    Uploads

The Galil card does accept and will use the encoder feedback back. It does not need to convert the feedback to velocity like a tach. No tachometer feedback
    is required.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    support@camsoftcorp.com
    PH 951-674-8100
    Fax 951-674-3110
    www.cnccontrols.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cnc-it View Post
    I have Fanuc differential encoders 2000ppr and analogue dc drives.

John.
    Galil automatically multiply the basic quadrature pulse x4 so your resolution will be 8000p/rev.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

In order to reuse your existing drives you will have to provide them a tach signal. This can either be done with an external F/V converter, like the mother board had or a tach on the motor.

The drives are velocity type and require the tach signal.

Darek

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not saying it can't be done, I would love to see the code to do it.

What I am saying "by the time you get it working right you will wish you had used a PLC instead". That is based on my experience with your software and these type of tool changers.

Darek
    My first Camsoft refit, I felt this way. There's a steep learning curve.

Now that I've done a few, I hope to never mess with a PLC again. (Guess I can't say that - my current project is a Basic stamp PLC program) The Camsoft language is much more powerful than ladder logic. And easier to follow and debug when you have a logic problem.

Karl

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post
    The Camsoft language is much more powerful than ladder logic. And easier to follow and debug when you have a logic problem.

Karl
    I must say I cannot remember any time when I came to a dead end because the PLC, whether attached to CNC or standalone, could not perform what I needed to do.
    One of my very first forays into PLC's was the now ancient AB PLC-2 series and I used it with their servo card to retro-fit a single axis CNC boring mill!
    Would I do that way again? No. But both mills are still running today, that was 1980.
    No other CNC controller involved. So the power was there even then.
    Al.

Last edited by Al_The_Man; 12-31-2009 at 12:23 PM.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

In order to reuse your existing drives you will have to provide them a tach signal. This can either be done with an external F/V converter, like the mother board had or a tach on the motor.

The drives are velocity type and require the tach signal.

Darek
    Home

Darek these drives will work with a tach as you say but on mine they just recieve the analogue command from the control.
    The F/V circuit on the masterboard handles the speed and position and sends the analogue signal out as required to the drives. The master board only gets feedback from the encoder and not the drive.

The control is a Fanuc 6MB Drives are A06B-6047-H002

I actually have a tach reading on the diagnostics on the screen and I can adjust a pot on the drive to balance the drift on this signal.

John.

Last edited by Leblondmakino; 12-30-2009 at 08:58 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sound good to me Al, 8000p/rev great for the rotary table.

John.