Will Camsoft support mill/turn in the same programme?

Thread: Will Camsoft support mill/turn in the same programme?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Will Camsoft support mill/turn in the same programme?

Hi,
    Jost wondering if Camsoft will allow a 4th or 5th axis to be used for turning and also like an indexer for milling in the same programme..?

I've seen a feature called swap axis on Mach3 where the mill spindle and the index spindle(4th/5th axis) swap axis mid programme to facilitate turning with a turning tool fixed in the mill spindle and the part spinning in the index spindle.

I realise a machine can be configured to be a lathe or mill by loading a particular CBK file but not sure if this can happen mid programme.

John.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't what level CAD/CAM you having, but if you have continous 5-axis CAM and continous 5-axis machine capability, I don't see why you can't. From what I know Camsoft doesn't support continous 5 axis.

The best way to learn is trial error.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cnc-it View Post
    Hi,
    Jost wondering if Camsoft will allow a 4th or 5th axis to be used for turning and also like an indexer for milling in the same programme..?

John.

I can see how to do this in CNC Pro. You'd issue the SETUP command for each axis that you redefine. You'd probably want to redefine your axis readouts also. And each Gcode would need one block for mill mode and another for lathe mode.

Long story short, there is no better control software for customization to your special machine.

Karl

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Karl..I was thinking that Camsoft would give a B or C axis a travel limit like a linear axis but in revs ie.999 revs.

I've seen this before in some other mill controls because with it having encoder feedback to get the angle positioning the encoder is counting up pulses in one direction or the other and soon reaches overtravel.

On my Fanuc 4th axis I can only give it an angle to go to like 520 degrees for example and my limit is 999 degrees I think. I can't give an M03 command for the 4th axis.

Also an inhibit would have to be set on the spindle so there is no risk of it starting up when using a turning tool!
    I'm presuming CSS could be used as well with the SETUP command...?

John