keyboard jog - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: keyboard jog

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hu,

To get the delay where it is humanly undetectable you will problably have to use the auxilary encoder input. I imagine the Galil E CAM feature is utulized here (Although the manual says the master has to be on one of the main encoders.) at motion clock level.

Darek

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, so the consensus seems to be that Windows just can't talk to the controller fast enough to do keyboard jog?

I don't believe it for a moment! Look at the logic below for example. I run this from a couple of function keys, and it has an instant effect on Rapidspeed, while a Rapid move is being made!
    Each time you tap F11 or F12, the Rapidspeed is halved or doubled.

If you just read it, you would think there is a tremendous amount of checking and logic to be performed, but I tell you it works great, and instantly.

That is why I believe that keyboard jog could be made to work right, and fast, too.

'rapidspeed decreasing, F11 key
    \340={\340/2}
    \201={37500*\340} :\202={37500*\340}
    MOVING 0;\66
    IF\66=1THEN\67=1 :FEEDHOLD
    RAPIDSPEED 1;\201 :RAPIDSPEED 2;\202
    DISPLAY3 {\340*100}
    '\318 checks if an OPERATOR'S feedhold is active
    IF\318=1THEN\67=0 :EXIT
    '\104 is a flag set in M103 and M104 to check state of single step or continuous
    IF\67=1THENIF\104=0THENCYCLESTART :\67=0 :EXIT'if program is in auto continuous mode, continue
    IF\67=1THENIF\104=1THENSINGLESTEP :\67=0
    -----M82
    'rapidspeed increasing,F12 key
    \340={\340*2}
    IF\340>1THEN\340=1
    \201={37500*\340} :\202={37500*\340}
    MOVING 0;\66
    IF\66=1THEN\67=1 :FEEDHOLD
    RAPIDSPEED 1;\201 :RAPIDSPEED 2;\202
    DISPLAY3 {100*\340}
    IF\318=1THEN\67=0 :EXIT
    IF\67=1THENIF\104=0THENCYCLESTART :\67=0 :EXIT
    IF\67=1THENIF\104=1THENSINGLESTEP :\67=0
    -----M83

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Murray,

There is a new JoyStick.Fil file that comes with pre-written logic for jogging. So there's no real need for macros. Yes, this is customizable. However, still expect a split second delay between jogs. Only the handwheel can response as quickly as you ask.

As Darek said the encoder or aux encoder is hardware based so it does response instantly. ECAM is not necessary and neither is the keyboard, GUI or Windows over head involved. The logic you wrote for M82 and M83 is not necassary either.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    (909) 674-8100
    support@camsoftcorp.com
    www.cnccontrols.com

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by camsoft
    ~snip~ The logic you wrote for M82 and M83 is not necassary either.
    It is necessary logic if you want to emulate a FANUC style rapid rate override, which will also interrupt and modify a rapid move rate while it is underway. I found the RAPIDSPEED command to be of limited value, since it will not do the same thing. At least it couldn't up until version 14.7

Downloads
    Uploads

Agreed, don't get us wrong. For that reason you did a wonderful job. We were only speaking from a jog speed point of view.

In fact if you or anyone that knows CamSoft logic wanted to write custom logic for people for hire it may be a good side business.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    (909) 674-8100
    support@camsoftcorp.com
    www.cnccontrols.com

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default WOW!

I was sceptical, but now I too believe keyboard jog is possible. I did a test today that proved it to me. (You may want to try this Hu.)
    With CamSoft open with the diagnostics window send these commands to the Galil.

COMMAND CMX 'this engages X in contour mode
    COMMAND DT1 'this is the time interval
    COMMAND CD3;WC 'this is encoder counts 3=.0001 in my case

With the pionter over the send button hit the ENTER key. Tap tap tap WOW!

RIGHT THROUGH WINDOWS, ONE BUTTON INSTASTANIOUS, INCREMENTAL JOG RIGHT FROM THE KEYBOARD, NO EXTRA HARDWARE.

Be sure to exit contour mode when you are done with:

COMMAND DT0;CD0

Full details of contour mode are on page 95 of the Galil manual.

HillBilly

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, Darek.

I was contemplating some kind of a test directly in the Galil terminal program to see what kind of possible performance a person could achieve. You saved me the trouble!

Do you, or anyone, have any idea of how to write a small executable program that we could run in place of the Camsoft jog? It is fairly simple to call another program inside the Camsoft GUI, in fact, I am under the impression that this is what happens presently, whenever we "open the jog window". I notice that whenever the jog window is closed, that any nc program that was interrupted, has to restart from the beginning. Perhaps this indicates that the Galil command buffer had to be dumped when jog mode began.

I already do run my lathe threading (inside the Camsoft GUI) from a small galil program residing in card memory, so I don't see why we couldn't also load an additional jog program into galil memory. All we need is some kind of a windows "front end" to translate (and monitor) the keyboard input into XQ commands for the program residing in Galil memory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12