Camsoft on Mikron HSM700 Looking for Advice

Thread: Camsoft on Mikron HSM700 Looking for Advice

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Camsoft on Mikron HSM700 Looking for Advice

Hi there,
    I've got a Mikron HSM700 (1997 or 1998 machine) that currently has a Heidenhain Atek HS Plus control on it. While this machine currently is up and running rather well, the control is one of the most finnicky controls I've ever come in contact with. We had explored the option of replacing it earlier this year when the control box died on it. We ended up going with an OEM unit, but are now realizing more and more that this control is causing our machine to be underutilized. I've gotten to a point again where I need to explore options of retrofitting a new control on this machine. I had gotten quotes from other outfits, but personally was a little concerned with price, install time, flexibility, and usability. My brother turned me on to Camsoft yesterday, saying it looked rather unique, flexible, and powerful. I called them up and talked with Gary on the phone for quite some time. While after the phone call I felt that Camsoft will be powerful enough, I have a few more detailed questions that I hope you guys here can help me sort through. I apologize for the length of this, but I want to be as thorough as possible.

#1 Main concern is integration with the servo drives currently on the machine. The machine has Bosch Sercos drives run via fiber-optics and a slew of other cables\connectors. If I can keep this drives in there and not have to install others, this would in my opinion be the safest and most economical option. I understand the Bosch sercos is proprietary and keeping the stock drives in there may not be an option. Mainly looking for input from people that have had any experience with them.

#2 The machine must be able to retain all the stock options. What I mean here is that the control will need to handle the stock thermal compensation that is on the spindle (spindle has remote chiller for it), the stock safety interlocks (on all 4 doors, on tool changer, etc), unist Uni-lube air mister\mist extractor, Torit dust collector, and be able to handle Blum tool touch off laser.

#3 And possibly more important than anything else is that the machine must be reliable. I am not worried about the machine itself in regards to reliability, it is one of the most solid machines built I have seen to date. I know that Camsoft is windows based which will make that far easier for me if the need be to maintain. The current Heidenhain control is Unix based, and if anyone has tinkered with that, they understand the frustrations that can be involved. Basically the machine must be able to run nonstop and be able to just take anything that is tossed at it. All I feel I should have to do with the machine is keep it clean and lubed up; not worry that some sort of electronics is going to crap out on me.

If anyone has any questions, I will be glad to respond. I appreciate any input anyone may have. Here again are some of the machine specs for reference to help.

1997 Mikron HSM700
    Heidenhain Atek HS Plus (pre tnc430\530 control)
    Bosch Spindle and Axis Drives (sercos)
    Step-Tec 42,000 RPM Spindle with remote chiller (remote chiller also controls an air conditioning unit inside where all the electronics are at)
    Blum Tool touch off laser (Blum P87.0634-014-A2/2/32-1)

If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me. I also have a slew of pictures of all of the machine if anyone would like to see those as a reference (I will upload to my FTP as soon as I can). Again, thanks for any help and input on this.

Andrew Gore
    Three R Plastics Inc.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

#1 Get the specs on these drives to the great techs. at Camsoft. You need a drive that works with a Galil control computer. These generally have quadrature encoders and a 0-10 volt signal to the drive. The P-I-D control is done within the Galil computer, not the drive.

#2 this area is Camsoft's great strength. You'll need a good application progammer, all the tools to do this are there. I would only consider the Pro level control for your needs.

#3 Reliablity (my personal area of expertise) - The components are solid. Good design, careful installation, documentaion, maintanance training, etc. will give you a very reliable machine. The weakest component in the system is the computer: two steps here - have clone of the hard disk ready to boot. I also have a complete spare computer with galil and adlink cards ready to swap.

Karl

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cam Soft Critique

As Control System Integrator, we have done several Cam Soft integration projects. When we first started to evaluate Cam Soft we did it in house on a drill table we use for drilling back panels. Later we took an old Bridge Port Series I machine with an old early 80’s computer on it and retrofitted it with a PC.

Later we came across a potential customer that had a custom build drilling rig that was never put into production due to poor controls. The approach was PLC and a basic modal with smart servo drives. The custom user interface never became usable enough for the operators. This customer also had a fair amount of CNC equipment on the shop floor. This equipment that sat idle for over 5 years is now at the heart of their tractor trailer operation. Currently we are integrating Cam Soft for a welding positioning system. And, we have a more simplistic project for a 2 axis feed table into a large press in progress.

I hate to critique Cam Soft too harshly. However, as independent integrator I can be a bit more open then Cam Soft Sales/Support. Bottom line the customers so far are happy. That being said Cam Soft’s implementation is Awkward and dated. As mentioned in a previous post the Galil card is the real motion control here. What Cam Soft does is to convert G-code into motion commands that the Galil controller understands. It also provides a configurable platform to allow for the customization of G and M codes. The AS4000 CAM software really turns me off, almost as must as the corny installation and setup screens.

My concern going into this would be cost of integration vs. replacing the equipment. We so far have not come across a project that the CNC equipment justified the expense, so far. However, if the cost of replacement justifies expense, then it may be good fit.

About the drive if Galil supports the drive then it should work. I am not sure if they do.

About PC’s on the shop floor, in the past year several different Fanless mother boards have come out. This combined with mirroring hard drives is a much better approach to PC on the shop floor then we have ever had. Other common sense protection should also be used like a control transformer for 120V and a surge/power protection.

Downloads
    Uploads

There are several controllers that will interface with the Sercos standard drive system, I don't have a list of them all, but Fagor is one of them that has a bullet-proof controller.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the input on this. I will keep up my search here. We have someone coming out next week to eye up the situation. We'll see what they say.

Andrew

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default atek controller on Mikron 700

Hi Andrew and everybody,

Same machine and the same controller. What can I say - good machine and awful controller.

We had to change the IP address in the controller because of new network setupin the building.

After we did ip/netmask and host name change in administration/config the controller said that it has to reboot and since then nobody is able to log in anymore using the user name and password (cnc/cnc) that we were given when the machine was installed in 1997.

Do you have such experience?

Does anybody know the original root password for this controller? Perhaps they are the same for all machines of this kind?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll go take a look at ours today, but when we setup our IP stuff here, we had to setup a FTP server for our network (cyberusftp). Sounds like you don't have direct access though to messing with your companies network setup though, which probably makes things a bit more difficult. As far as logging in, my machine is off right now, but I'll kick it on and see if I can do the same as you. Just out of curiosity, where did you change all the network settings on your machine? With just the standard cnc\cnc login, there are only so many places you can go and only so many things that you can do. There are a few other logins that we had been given to go through and mess with other "admin" type things. I believe the one was:
    username: atek
    password: atek-cnc

another one of the passwords was cnc-admin or cnc-admn something along those lines.

You can try logging in at the main login screen with username "atek" and see if you can get in via that. Otherwise I'm not 100% without having the machine right in front of me. Not to be a downer either, but there is only 1 person at Mikron who could help, and he's in Switzerland. I can give you his email address, and you can also contact him in regards to your problem. He is the one who was the head of the HSM700\Atek HS Plus program when it was started, and basically knows everything about them. Only downside is the time barrier. Otherwise, he has most everything under control.

Let me know if there is anyother way I can help. I do have a image made of our hard drive in our machine because of our last fiasco with that. Kind of lame how a cnc control that cost us a lot of money was wasted due to a crappy 30$ hard-drive that they installed from the factory...go figure.

Again, let me know if I can assist any further.

Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads

Please don't post any passwords.

We realize that this may be a Atek control and not a CamSoft privite labeled model.

If anyone needs their pw for a CamSoft control contact us at support@camsoftcorp.com for your pw and we will contact your dealer if need be.

CamSoft passwords are OEM/Dealer defined and we're sure they want them secure. Many CamSoft OEM's & Dealers would be upset with the person posting. It's up to each OEM / Dealer such as Mikron to decide to give out their pw or not.

The person posting the pw would be responsible for changing the passwords of users for the past 11 years.

Besides if the system is from 1997 you would need updated Ethernet drivers for the motion card and software. You are most likely going to need much more help once you're past the pw.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    support@camsoftcorp.com
    PH 951-674-8100
    Fax 951-674-3110
    www.cnccontrols.com

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The logins\passwords were in the Mikron literature we have been given. Not only that, but this individual is looking for Atek HS Plus, and no offense, but my guess is the only support you could offer him is to be able to sell him a different control. Unfortunately after my extensive research on this topic, it is not a cheap\easy alternative due to the Bosch Sercos drives. I know, everyone is thinking that well sercos is a standard thing. Unfortunately the Sercos motors that Mikron used with the Atek HS Plus setup requires the certain Bosch Sercos drives. Long story short, if you try to upgrade anything with the machine, you have to replace not only the drives, but also all the motors. Then on top of that you have to take care of getting a new control. As much as we hated it when we had our problem with our machine, the "cheapest" alternative was to get a refurbished control from Mikron for a large chunk of change. We were even told by Mikron (due to our control dying to a hard drive failure), to go ahead and make a backup copy of our hard drive, in the event of another hard drive failure.

Again, the main help needed is rather simple. If you know anything about unix\Solaris\Linux, you can take care of basically what you need to here. I can also get you the appropriate contacts for who would also be able to help you with this.

Please, if you are going to "give advice", especially on the HSM 700, I ask that you actually know something about it and what is actually involved with it. Due to there only being 35 HSM 700's in the states, chances are, knowledge is very limited here (heck there are only 2 techs that work for Mikron US that know this machine and their biggest help is the same manuals that I have).

Send me an email with some more details, and we'll see if we can get you back up and cuttin!

Andrew

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default We need help Micron HSM 700

We need help
    We have a machine Micron HSM 700 CNC HEIDENHAIN Atek plus want it to bridge the kopyuteru via ethernet
    But we do not have the documentation how to do it
    Can you give us recommendations how to do it
    We'll be very grateful

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Camsoft on Mikron HSM700 Looking for Advice

Hello Friends,

I need Micron HSM700 Electrical Manuel to installation. If You post it to me. I will appreciate.

gurayunsal@hotmail.com

Thank You in advance

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Camsoft on Mikron HSM700 Looking for Advice

Never had the opportunity to run one or actually touch one, but have heard that they are extremely well built iron.

This machine is 18 years old so a retro fit should only be done if it has very low hours and light duty work done on it. In 1997, Ford and GM had the best you could buy in pickups, by todays standards the old ones are not worth the trouble it would take to keep them running. Every thing on your machine is specific to 1997 and possibly earlier. There have been quantum leaps made in energy regen servos and the speed and accuracy which they can respond in the last 18 years, and a lot of the old stuff is no longer supported.

As far as CAM SOFT, it is an open base PC control for up to 8 axis's. I think currently they offer near 400 I/O digital or analog.

I have a 1987 Esab oxy fuel gantry cutting torch still using the original servos with Cam Soft Pro. I am using a slightly modified CBK file that came with the kit and the girl will fire up and make parts any time day or night. Cam Soft can do ANYTHING that has to do with machine movement or I/O control. A milling machine for Cam Soft ability would be equal to shooting a mouse with a deer rifle.

You will have to have an electrical control genius to remove the old CNC and install the new CNC.

The Cheapest and best money that you will ever spend will be to take a bunch of pictures of the machine and make pages of lists of all the things that you will want your new CNC control to do, and then Hire Cam Soft to build the CNC for you and create the CBK file exclusive to your machine. Cam Soft has a vast library of mill controls from a simple 2 axis Bridgeport to large gantries that machine aircraft wing and jet engine components. Your new CNC can be as user featured or as simple to operate as you wish to make it. When you purchase Cam Soft Pro. your purchase will include every option available on that day and paying your yearly maintenance will allow you the best tech support and future upgrades in the industry.

My 2 cents on configuration would be to have dual 27" monitors, one with touchscreen for the CNC control, and one for the cad cam system. the best hand held remote that Cam Soft offers, digital hard drives with out a physical spinning disk, that don't give as much trouble in a work shop environment.

My last 2 cents, you could go and get a Fanuc CNC and get the full blown retro fit with Fanuc motors, Fanuc drives, The world famous Fanuc control with 8" monitor and Fanuc cables, and then you can sit down with the Fanuc sales rep and start going over the options that you want to buy for $5000.00 to $9000.00 each so that your spindle will actually turn on and the table will move, cutter comp is an additional option too, If you really want to get fancy and save a program to a USB stick or network to a server, that is 2 more options you can purchase.

I wish you a lot of luck on this retrofit, with the proper help from Cam Soft and a very qualified electrical service provider, your retrofitted machine will perform better than the day it was new.

Farmers Machine