Photos requested of your installation

Thread: Photos requested of your installation

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Photos requested of your installation

Hi,

I am interested in seeing photos of various layouts that other retrofitters have used for milling machines. This would include the inside details of the positioning of your drives, relay board, interconnect module, computer, etc.

Did you leave the PC assembled in its tower, or take it apart and put the pieces inside of a cabinet?

Also, a pic of whatever kind of operator station you have created to stand beside the machine, with the monitor, keyboard and mouse placement, and type.

Hoping to benefit from your experience.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Operator station

Here is my computer cabinet; behind the bottom doors are the CPU in its original tower along with the tangle of wires and the surge-protector. The top doors hide papers and disks.
    After this image was taken I installed a small shelf behind the mouse pad as a catch-all to place whatever I was holding so I could use both hands to type.
    The mouse pad is tiny because I prefer keyboard shortcuts but still use the mouse occasionally; the mouse is configured so that the cursor travels far with the tiniest mouse-move.
    There is an intake cooling fan through the back wall with a small AC/furnace filter between it and the outside.
    The only wires out of the back are the power cord and parallel cable.
    The cabinet is on quality casters so it rolls easily.
    I tried to cover the top with clear acrylic but the glare was a bother so now I just place a piece of cardboard over the works when done.
    Hope this helps!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos requested of your installation-compcab-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't begun my mill retro just yet, but I have posted a pic of my lathe Camsoft retro. This was a small manual Graziano lathe originally with a Bandit1 controller. This brand of lathe has an 8-speed electric shift gearbox for driving the spindle, which is really a nice feature for a cnc lathe. I can always run the machine in the optimum torque range without having to go to a 20 hp motor

Anyways, you can see the cabinet I used. This was the existing controller cabinet, I simply hacked out a hole and mounted a 17" monitor inside. I used the original set of manual buttons, shown in a row below the monitor. I mounted the keyboard above the monitor, which is not handy for extended typing, but is fine for running the machine. I purchased a keyboard with a built in touchpad, which I find quite convenient for mousing about with simply a fingertip. You can see the little touchpad as the dark rectangle in the keyboard.

I mounted a glass cover in a boxed in area over the keyboard, about 6 inches above it. This keeps random chips from flying into the keyboard. Access to the keyboard is from the bottom side. Fortunately, my arms also approach from the same direction

I am thinking of something a bit fancier for the mill. I was dreaming of a clear acrylic "hutch", suspended from a swinging pendant arm. Using extended cables, I would mount an LCD monitor, keyboard and mouse on this arm, and leave my computer in a large cabinet affixed to the machine, some distance away and out of the road. This other large cabinet would contain the servo amps, Galil interconnect module, etc.

I have also purchased one of Camsoft's neat little "operator pendants", which will contain the most oft used I/O functions needed for running the machine. This will eliminate the need for me to make a new operator panel of my own. The machine currently has a Shadow controller on it, and when I remove that, all the existing operator panel goes with it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos requested of your installation-p7260019-jpg  

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

See that purplish band across the face of the monitor? That means the machine has been sanitized for the optimum health of the next operator who uses it

Actually, it is just a reflection of the overhead lamps. I also found screen glare to be a problem, so I mounted a polarized anti-glare screen over my monitor, at such an angle that glare and reflections were eliminated when you stand in front of it as the operator.

Downloads
    Uploads

For group,

Here are some other links to various CamSoft machine retrofit photos, movies and enclosures.

View photos of real machines and operator interfaces
    Click Here>: www.cnccontrols.com/pgallery.htm

CNC control enclosures Click here> www.cnccontrols.com/products2.asp

Real CNC machine tool digital video movies using CamSoft software
    Click Here > www.cnccontrols.com/custreg.asp?MENU=demos

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    909-674-8100
    support@camsoftcorp.com

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is the original controller. After it was removed the PC took its place and all the wires connecting to it were routed to the back side of the cabinet. This is where I mounted the ICM1900
    and the 48/OUT - 48/IN terminating boards.

For anybody who does not know who I am, my name is Darek Ashburn. I do not have a Company. I work by myself for myself. All comments I have made on CNC
    Zone are based on my actual experience using these products.

Sincerely DAREK ASHBURN.
    (HillBilly)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos requested of your installation-02-14-03-198-jpg  

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Picture 2

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos requested of your installation-02-14-03-1406-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Camsoft Retro

This is some photo's of a Camsoft retrofit I am doing on an Excello mill. The PC was built into an operator panel made by a local tin shop, the front legend plate was made from reverse engraved Lamacoid by a local engraver from a AutoCad DWG I supplied.
    The LCD & Touch screen were obtained from EarthLCD and the Keyboard from Input Technolgies, it is made for industrial applications as it is completely covered by rubber membrane.
    The original Vari-speed drive pulley was replaced by a timing belt and a Mitsubishi VFD was used to control the spindle via the CNC 'S' command. The original three phase motor is now running up to 3600 (120Hz) rpm
    from the the original 1750 rpm.
    The original servo motors were retained, but Westamp drives were replaced by (new on eBay) Copley Controls.
    The completed mill is actually a Acroloop Acromill version Dos based S/W.
    I will have to probabally post the photos on separate posts. due to size.
    Al

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos requested of your installation-dscf0041-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

This is the Camsoft version
    Al

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos requested of your installation-dscf0049-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

More camsoft ver

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos requested of your installation-dscf0047-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

This is the PC built into the cabinet, The floppy access is through the side, The floppy door can just be seen on the rh side.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos requested of your installation-dscf0031-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Electrical Cabinet note VFD bottom rh.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos requested of your installation-dscf0038-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

This is the Home made HW box, a fanuc HW again from ebay.
    A source of Handwheels and portable pendants like this is Sumtak. They also have the components separately including the mult-conductor curly cord.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos requested of your installation-dscf0045-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Al. Interesting. So do you have this machine producing chips yet?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hu, The first one Acromill(see 1stPic) is.
    In fact I made the panel cutout on this one for the Camsoft one I have yet to finish.
    Will post a pic when done. One thing I prefer is to keep things like feedrate & spindle o/r as hard wired switches as I do not think they lend themselves well to touch screen or mouse applications.
    Also I like to use cycle start, feed hold and spindle stop as h/w buttons. I also want to integrate a measuring touch probe I picked up for this machine, I am looking for measuring probe macro's I can adapt (hole center, material edge etc,etc) rather than re-inventing the wheel.
    Al

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default MAZAK V15

I made this interface board to accept the original ribbon cables and wires going to the control panel. I converted them to the DB25 output, just like the CamSoft pendant, and used the HandHeld I/O logic.

HillBilly

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos requested of your installation-mazpen02-jpg  

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default MAZAK V15

This is the control panel.

HillBilly

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos requested of your installation-mazpen01-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Camsoft Retro

Al-
    How much trouble was it converting to the timing belt? I have my machine running now with a VFD and am getting about 6k RPM in high gear (the VFD isn't maxed out but I'm afraid to push it any higher even though it's still running pretty smoothly and not making any more noise than at lower speed.) Did you have to fabricate the pulleys or can they be purchased?

Thanks!

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Photos requested of your installation

I purchased pulleys and belt 1:1 6k is pretty high for that motor, I did not run mine anymore than around 4k.
    I may have the pulley No's somewhere, I just sold the mill so I cannot get the info off it.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.