Camsoft recommendation needed

Thread: Camsoft recommendation needed

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Camsoft recommendation needed

Hi guys,

I was thinking about getting Galiltools to optimize my servo tuning.

Do you recommend this?

Are there any problems or considerations concerning doing this?

Thanks,
    Nelson

Similar Threads:
    i build the braces that keep american teeth straight......tick tick tick

Downloads
    Uploads

It does take the tuning through some interesting scenarios, I usually use it as a base and then tweak it for the final result.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Using Galil Tools software for servo tuning is fine.

Since many of the drivers are shared the only important issue is that you don't mix and match two different versions of Galil and CamSoft drivers. Since it's very hard to tell we always suggest using the most current Galil Tools software with the most current CamSoft software. This way we know it is reliable. If you're not sure, don't install the Galil tools software in the same computer. Instead install the Galil Tools into another PC and move the Galil card over until Galil Tools finds the servo tuning values. Write down the PID settings and enter them into CNC SETUP in the PC you're ultimately going to use. This will work fine unless the two computers are of drastically different CPU speeds. Servo tuning values are generally sensitive to the CPU clock speed. You'll notice that you'll get different values reported on two PC's of different speeds. To avoid this ask your dealer or call our front office to get the current version.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    support@camsoftcorp.com
    PH 951-674-8100
    Fax 951-674-3110
    PC Based CNC Control For The Machine Tool CNC Retrofit And CNC Controller OEM Market

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys,

So I can't run it concurrently to monitor performance.

Can I install it, do the PID optimization then remove it?

Nelson

Downloads
    Uploads

If you're using the same versions of Galil and CamSoft drivers, then theoretical you could run them together just for monitoring but we would recommend against this because with both pieces of software trying to talk to the Galil card at the same time not only would it degrade performance there would be a high probability of a conflict even if you didn't try to tune or issue any commands from Galil Tools.

You could I install it, do the PID optimization then remove it but only if you're using the same versions of Galil and CamSoft drivers. See the last post we wrote on this.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    support@camsoftcorp.com
    PH 951-674-8100
    Fax 951-674-3110
    PC Based CNC Control For The Machine Tool CNC Retrofit And CNC Controller OEM Market

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Possibly a better option (than using a separate PC) is to install two copies of Windows on your control computer as a multi-boot system. Install Galil Tools under one version of Windows, and Camsoft under the other. Your single Windows license should be valid for both installations, so no licensing issues.

It's a little bit of effort to set up if you haven't done it before, but once it's done, you can boot into either version of Windows with no driver conflicts, update Galil Tools or Camsoft separate from each other, and continue to use Galil Tools to tweak your servo tuning settings over time without dragging out another computer, or uninstalling/reinstalling software.

Regards,
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

i think the galil tools is indespensible for tuning servos. can't live without it.

I was able to get galil and camsoft running on the same computer. very handy, I use it for tuning and also for writing galil scripts.

Karl

Downloads
    Uploads

Is there any reliable way to confirm that both drivers are the same "versions"

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

The only reliable way to be sure they are the same versions is to download their current version and install the CamSoft current version.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not convinced that Camsoft knows for sure the exact cause of the conflict. They may not know exactly what Galil is doing.

I have a very old version of Galil WSDK. I'm using the latest camsoft pro version and have installed new versions of Camsoft many times with this galil software in place.

Years ago, I had a lot of trouble with this issue. When I did a new OS install, then Galil, then Camsoft, it worked. I've been cloning this fresh install for use on several machines for five years now.

Karl

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

Thanks for the information, I guess the next question is can I download the current driver from Camsoft? or do I have to upgrade something?

I would be getting the newest version of Galiltools.

The machine is working fine I just believe I might be able to get more speed or accuracy out of it.

1 more thing

When you say "conflict" do you mean shredded flying metal?

or blue screens which hurt nobody and nuthin...?

Downloads
    Uploads

nelZ,

If you have or get V7 then we can e-mail the drivers. However, we believe your software is CNC Plus V6 from 02/24/2009. You'd need all the supporting exe and files from the current version for these drivers to work.

The newest version of Galiltools we know will work with our current version of either the Graphical Operator Interface software for NON-CNC factory automation projects or robotics, CNC Lite, CNC Plus or CNC Professional.

A conflict is usually benign such as an error message but a machine crash is a very real possibility. As we mentioned the only reliable method do this right is to use both the Galil and CamSoft current versions.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    support@camsoftcorp.com
    PH 951-674-8100
    Fax 951-674-3110

Downloads
    Uploads

You can get the current galil drivers free with their smart terminal software. To use that, you also need the latest ROM burned into the galil card itself.

I'd suggest you change out hard drives, install the OS, install galil, then instal Camsoft.

Karl