VFD for Mori MV40 and Camsoft Retrofit

Thread: VFD for Mori MV40 and Camsoft Retrofit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default VFD for Mori MV40 and Camsoft Retrofit

I'm doing a Camsoft retrofit to an old 80's MV40. Part of the reason for the retrofit is that the original Fanuc Spindle Drive main card is bad, and didn't want to spend $2000 on old technology.

Want to replace the old Spindle drive with a modern day VFD. Probably a 7.5 hp model.

Any concerns or recommendations on what model of VFD, and ability for Camsoft to control the VFD to enable rigid tapping?

Hope to use the OEM encoder on the Spindle, which was setup for spindle control for both tool change and rigid tapping.

Camsoft parts are on the way, and can't wait to get the old mill running again.

Thanks in Advance for any input.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I did rigid tapping on my 4HP knee mill with a VFD. I happened to use a Hitachi VFD. I just installed an encoder to the Galil board for this axis. The VFD didn't see it. Writing the code to do this was a bit of a challenge for me. Its posted on this forum.

Where you're starting from scratch, I'd sure ask Camsoft what features you need in a VFD. For sure you need 0-10volt for speed control. Most all VFDs have this. I also used contact inputs for spin forward and spin reverse. Then a VFD out for fault. You'll also need a large brake resistor ability. Again, most all VFDs have this.

separate from the control considerations is torque at low speed. I forget the terms at the moment, but there are considerable differences between different offers in regards to this ability.

Karl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I talked to Camsoft, and they had no recommendation for a VFD other than it takes 10v analog. So I'll figure out the specifics my self. Got the Camsoft hardware a few days ago, so I"m trying to get familiar with the hardware/software. Then I'll go find a VFD with a dynamic brake, and whatever else it needs to be controlled with what I got from Camsoft.
    Thanks for the input on the VFD requirements.