Need Help! Milling 3d part settings

Thread: Milling 3d part settings

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Milling 3d part settings

Hi there,
    I just started using Cambam and it is my first experience with a cnc milling machine. I built my own one and I am using Mach3.
    I have already experienced some machining with simple parts and some engraving, now I am trying to machine a 3d part and I have set Cambam as per pictures here below. Sorry if the pictures appear rotated 90° but I am unable to post them straight.

The result I am having looks quite messy, despite the fact hat I have set depth increment 0.5 mm I see the tool going quite deep (7 mm) since the beginning. I do not understand why?

Moreover I would like the part to be machined layer by layer (0.5 mm each) with the router scanning the part left to right and back and not left to right than lift back and start again.

I would appreciate help and hints on how to achieve the above and solve the depth issues.

Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling 3d part settings-img_1399-jpg   Milling 3d part settings-img_1400-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Milling 3d part settings

You need to use Waterline Rough with a small clearance to do the 'rough' shaping then a second Waterline Finish to do the final shaping. Rough will step down in increments, Finish will follow the full depth for each pass. To mill both directions change Milling direction to 'mixed'.

You will receive much faster responses to help requests if you use the CamBam support website. Probably the best help support I have experienced with any software package. You usually get answers very quickly. Few CamBam users follow this site.

Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your hints. Will try.
    As far as cncerning the Cambam forum I have experienced quite a lot of ego going on there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Which version of CamBam are you using, 0.9.8 or 1.0 Beta? The Beta has this exact problem with 3D profile operation - it plunges at full depth instead of obeying the depth increment value.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am using the latest stable version 0.9.8
    I did some test and I discovered that the issue is caused by the Roughing/Finishing setting. I was using "finishing" straight away and this cause the machining to start at full depth (I found evidence of this in the documentation). I am not happy about this because the increment setting is overridden without any alert to the user however it is like this and I assume shall be accepted as it is. I would have made the software to automatically change the depth increment value to the full depth when the "Finishing" is selected so there is not a fake value prompt to the user which leads to mistakes. But thats me.

By the way, I am still in trial mode so I still have a couple of weeks before I decide to buy it. Are you happy of cambam?

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, it makes sense: in finishing mode you do not need to go layer by layer because the bulk of the stock material has already been removed. But I agree, CamBam should make it more clear which values apply to the current operation, which ones do not matter, and which ones are overridden.

And yes, I am very happy with CamBam - although I mostly do 2D and 2.5D stuff such as engraving, printed circuit boards and flat parts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FeliceM View Post
    As far as cncerning the Cambam forum I have experienced quite a lot of ego going on there.
    REALLY!

You must first one to say this...

My 2¢

Downloads
    Uploads

By the way, I am still in trial mode so I still have a couple of weeks before I decide to buy it. Are you happy of cambam?
    I have had CamBam for about 4 years and am very satisfied with it. I also use Fusion 360 and have MasterCam on one computer. But I use CamBam for simple stuff because it's so easy to use. I normally can set up even a somewhat complex 2.5 D part in about 5 minutes.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am sorry you got that impression. I have found the group to be extremely helpful and amazingly fast. My original point was that few people use CNCZone for their support for CamBam and any help you need will probably come faster on the CamBam site rather than here on CNCZone. When I responded to you it was the first time in probably 6 months that I even looked at this site.

Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you. Your advice is appreciated.