Newbie Newbie needing help with a DXF 3D Drawing

Thread: Newbie needing help with a DXF 3D Drawing

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie needing help with a DXF 3D Drawing

I've got a 3D DXF. file and would like to know how I can movie it around in CamBam so that the tool-path will start in a different area from where it is now. Could any of you tell me if this is possibe?

Here below is a screenshot of the file opened in CamBam. I need this drawing to be positioned flat and for it to be milled vertically straight from the top. Ignore the holes as thats no big issue to me and will be done a drill-press prior to the shape being milled.

I basically need it to be milled from the area where the single hole is, straight downwards to create the shape.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie needing help with a DXF 3D Drawing

Use the CAD program to oriented the object as it needs to be to be machine as planned, then import into CAMBAM is probably best.

Though in CAMBAM use/try:

EDIT>TRANSFORM>ROTATE

[Check rotating with mouse and its buttons too.]

and

EDIT>TRANSFORM>ALIGN

Also: Make sure the object's surface normals are oriented properly.

Check SNAP TO GRID settings as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Try Edit>surface>Plane slice X or what ever. This slices the part and creates an outline that can be converted to gcode, so you can machine it in 2.5D.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dean is correct about the plane slicing along X, Y, or Z

These functions obtain polylines from a 3D object by slicing the object along a given axis.

Plane slices provide a useful way of generating 2D machining operations from 3D models, without having to redraw the models in 2D. For many engineering or prismatic 3D shapes, 2D machining operations can provide much simpler, faster and more accurate operations than the 3D machining operations.

It is good practice to create a new layer to receive the plane slice polylines, to make the drawing more manageable and so that the polylines may be viewed and manipulated independently of the original 3D surface.

Suggestion: Practice on a simple shape first though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ahhh Thanks a ton for the help guys but I think I'm still a little ways to go. Heres another screenshot below.

I need the endmill / cutter to start from the hole where theres the blue area and once again this entire shape or drawing is a pocket to be milled into solid aluminum. I have moved it around briefly with your folks help but how do I make it so that the entire drawing is a pocket and that the endmill will start at the hole shown. I'm not too concerned about the other holes as I will eliminate those from the drawing and do them on the drill-press prior to milling.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

oh yeah, how and around where within the red and green line would i wanna move it so that it starts at the hole pointed out?