engraving text

Thread: engraving text

Downloads
    Uploads

Default engraving text

can anyone help.
    i am trying to engrave some text. i am using a 3mm cutter but everytime i try to cut the text just looks terrible, i think it is because it is not single line text. is their a plug in to install some single line fonts into cambam or do i have to use a third party software then import
    any help would be appreciated as you can tell i am new to this.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Engraving

I use a 1/4 inch single flute 90 degree counter sink to engrave with. It lasts a long time, its cheap, and it makes nice clean lines with very little to deburr. A little Scotch bright cleans it right up.
    For programing I use Power Station. But any kind of good soft ware should be able to handle it with no problem.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Single Line Stick Fonts

For quite a while I have been following the search for "Real" "Single Line Fonts" that are usable in CamBam and other CAD/CAM software.

I have developed and tested what i think may be the answer, at least for CamBam engraving. I have a set of 8 fonts that behave like they are TTF but are truly a single line font set. No matter how large you make them there will not be any separation of the letter elements. When you use them they will truly cut in a single line. Your cutter will go over each letter twice, once in each direction, and exactly on the same path no matter what size you engrave, even if they are 12 inches high!
    They are attached in a folder as a .zip file. Unzip them and drag and drop them individually into your C:\Windows\Fonts\ directory. They will auto install, and because of the name I gave them, will appear at the top of your fonts list.

In CamBam, when you product the "G-Code" there will be an error that says, "Error setting new poly start" not sure what this is caused from, but it does not seem to make any difference as it has no effect on the resulting G-Code.

Please give the fonts a try and let me know what you think.
    George

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

I have no issues engraving outline font. But I use a ballnose cutter about 0.3mm cut depth.

I also tried D tips but I'm currently getting better results with the ball-nose, looks like I still haven't got the speeds/feeds nailed for the D tips.

My X2 CNC Brain Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61345
    Gecko G250 wiring errors: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68960

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    I also tried D tips but I'm currently getting better results with the ball-nose, looks like I still haven't got the speeds/feeds nailed for the D tips.
    This thread on the cambam forum discussed issues with engraving and D cutters... I hope this helps.
    Engraving Help ?

It seems a D cutter only has one cutting flute, so you would need to double your RPMs or halve your feedrate to get the same finish as a ball nose or spiral V cutter. (I haven't had my morning coffee yet, so aplogies if I've got that wrong )

www.cambam.co.uk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Just marking for reference

Marking thread for future reference
    thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mlind View Post
    Marking thread for future reference
    thanks.
    This board has a really nice feature. In the thread header there is a menu called Thread Tools. There is an option there "Subscribe to this thread". It allows you to get updates to interesting threads without having to post a message. It greatly improves the signal to noise ratio.

bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 10bulls View Post
    This thread on the cambam forum discussed issues with engraving and D cutters... I hope this helps.
    Engraving Help ?

It seems a D cutter only has one cutting flute, so you would need to double your RPMs or halve your feedrate to get the same finish as a ball nose or spiral V cutter. (I haven't had my morning coffee yet, so aplogies if I've got that wrong )
    You're perfectly on track. Looking at that thread I'll just stick with my ball-nose cutters, while he's acheiving good results it's with a lot more rpm than I have and I don't want to go that slow.

My X2 CNC Brain Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61345
    Gecko G250 wiring errors: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68960

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This was done using a 1/4" v bit with a true type font.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails engraving text-imageuploadedbytapatalk1307229579-276864-jpg  
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com