Need Help! Romi M27 Unwanted taper + other issues

Thread: Romi M27 Unwanted taper + other issues

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Romi M27 Unwanted taper + other issues

Hello there everyone, I'm new to the industry and recently got a job as a CNC machinist at a large-ish company in Vernon, CA that specializes in repairing large pumps and gearboxes etc.
    For a little background on the issue, my employer hired 2 guys fresh out of school to get a couple of their CNC machines up and running. One machine, a Romi M27 Lathe hadn't been used in 2 years. The other is an ancient CNC (pre 90's) mill that I won't mention on this particular thread. So our instruction was to dedicate all our time and effort into figuring out these machines in order to make new shafts for our customers (we will not be doing any/much repairing for customers) we were told that all the previous CNC programmers/machinists they've hired were terrible (ie. Crashed, ruined expensive parts, etc) after talking big game (their words not mine). Well they wanted to start fresh with 2 guys they can train from the ground up. (after we both finished a 7 month machinist program) So we have a little experience in actually working with these types of machines, although nothing to the size we'll be working with here. The control on the M27 is a Fanuc 21i-T which we are figuring out little by little as we mainly used Haas machines at our school, although we were taught basic Fanuc controls on an old Kitamura mill.

Well onto the actual problem. Once we figured out the controls enough we loaded a program and a length of 416 Stainless and after running it we noticed that it was about .030 over size so we measured it on the other end (24in in -Z) and it was .060 over sized. So we decided to just straight turn it down to 2in (from 2.6) for 17in. We cleared our offsets and ran our 2in straight turning program and ended up with the small side being 1.933 and the other end being 2.005

We're also having issues where sometimes the offsets don't make any sense. For example when using the Measure softkey sometimes the X value recorded is -32. when it typically is -18 for our roughing tool. After re-referencing the machine and redoing the offset it's back to the correct looking number.

Any advice on these issues would be greatly appreciated, any new issues we encounter will be posted in this thread also.