series one head drive conversion - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: series one head drive conversion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice Mactec and everyone else.

I have thought about doing this to my Series 2 CNC, which is just a 2hp varispeed head. In my research I have found that with whatever ratio you use you sacrafice something, be it speed or low end power.

I thought about getting a 5hp inverter duty motor to drive a 1:1 ratio pulley setup. The motor would have more than double the torque, so it would overcome the low end power problem. Yet, I should be able to spin my spindle to 5k or 6k.. Of course, the big problem (other than cost) would be that the motor shaft would be short if the motor is mounted on the bottom.

Would love to hear more and see more pics...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mine is 1:1 ratio. Torque has not yet been an issue. I typically only run the main spindle between 30 and 60 Hz (800-1700rpms), I have on occasion over driven it to 2x's it's rated speed, but not very often. Bellow 800rpm I still have my back gear, and above 1700rpm is precisely why I am building my high speed spindle attachment (lower down in this section).

I find the range I have available on the main spindle is pretty much perfect for any larger tooling that I would need the HP for anyhow. W/ the high speed stuff, I am typically working with engraving cutters and router bits and hit 10-12K rpms pretty regularly. That is well beyond the capability of the factory spindle bearings anyhow, so no use trying to overdrive the spindle motor or providing pulley overdrive to hit these kind of speeds.

Mactec54; The pictures you posted of your head conversions about 1-1.5 years ago are what inspired me to take this route. I know it is not as pretty or shiny, but it was inexpensive and solved the beat up varispeed problem. Many thanks for posting the original photos and for planting the seed in my head

Later,
    Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

AC Pro drive. They work very well, more RPM, much smoother. Guy builds them and ships them out. Even has a Z scale with DRO built in.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi underthetire

There drive you are talking about costs more than the machines, over $2,000 You can use a VFD for $150 to $600 & do the same job

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Inexpensive 1Phase Input VFD 3HP

I bought 2 and so far so good.

Ebay item #360206990961

You can run it from the control panel or from analog input.

Mike

Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

jcamp the spexs would be great i am tearing my machine down next week .
    thanks alex

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alex, I replied to your PM with links to the parts at surplus center. The only thing I cannot find in my files is the sheave diameter. I will post up the info for everyone once I find it all...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, I dug up the part numbers for the stuff I used, here goes:

One BX34 belt from mcmaster carr, $11.25

Two 1-BKH62 5.95" OD (5.6" pitch diameter) pulleys from surpluscenter.com, $11 each

One 1-2913-137 1.375" bore H type pulley bush from surpluscenter.com, $4.49

One 1-2915-30 30mm bore H type pulley bush from surpluscenter.com, $4.49

Check your shaft sizes before you order the bushings. These are for my machine, and I have no idea if b'port built every one with the same shaft diameters.

Good Luck,
    Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the info! i will letnyou know how the rebuild comes out.
    alex

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jason,

Thanks SO MUCH for posting the part numbers. This is a huge help!

Just curious how do you get 10-12K RPM with your VFD? Do you run a 3HP VFD on your setup?

Do you get vibrations at that speed?

Thanks

Kirk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiggler View Post
    Jason,

Thanks SO MUCH for posting the part numbers. This is a huge help!

Just curious how do you get 10-12K RPM with your VFD? Do you run a 3HP VFD on your setup?

Do you get vibrations at that speed?

Thanks

Kirk
    My VFD is a 10Hp allen bradley power flex drive. 480 3~ only. I have a rotary converter and 3~ entrance transformer to get my voltage up there, I had to d this for another machine, and it makes surplus AC drives a lot cheaper, as the hobbiests aren't looking for 3~ 480 drives.

Anyhow, anything over 3250RPMs gets delegated to my high speed spindle. I used a plam router strapped to the quill for a long time, and I just recently finished a QC30 mounted spindle, the thread is down a few posts in this section, You may actually have intended this question for mactech, as he said he used to modify the factory heads to get up in to the 10-20k range.

I don't have any first hand experience with how he did it, or how much it costs, but is seems the price of bearings for something like that would put it way outside my line of sight...

Later,
    Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i got the parts in. the only thing i have to modify is the key stock, i have to step them to make them work. i am going to put it together in the morning.
    thanks alex

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Let us know how it comes out.

Pics if you can Alex.

Thanks,
    Scott

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i am finished with the new drive system .i am more than pleased any body that owns a series one 80s model will be happy with this conversion. i had to go up to the bx 36 belt instead of the 34 so i need to make a tensioner but it runs good with out it so far, it has a tiny bit of noise but i think it is the belt.all of the parts listed on this post will do it.. thanks for the help every one. thanks jcamp for posting all of the part numbers .i still would not have it done if you did not list them.the variable spreed controller works great a friend of mine came and rewired my motor and installed and wired the controller unit.
    thanks alex

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm glad it worked out well for you! I'm surprised that you had to step up a belt size, The BX34 was a little loose on mine, but like I mentioned before, I didn't allow for any take up room when I used the gates drive calculator. I wanted it as close to dead on as I could. The way I got the belt on, was to install it on the pulleys and then mount the pulleys on the bushes. This way I had enough take up room to just get the belt on using the pulleys large bore. In the end I had to slot one of the motor ount points to get .25-.375"s of tightening adjustment...

Glad to hear you got it sorted, a tensioner is a good idea and shouldn't be too tough. Maybe you could use an automotive spring type on the flat side of the belt and make it self adjusting?

Good Luck!
    Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i was thinking of trying a fenner link belt. do you know if they adjust in half inch sizes. this might take care of the tension problem.
    thanks alex

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have no experience with the link type belts, I looked at them once for something, but they looked to expensive for my taste!

You might try a AX series belt instead of BX, the listed pulley with a AX belt has a pitch diameter of 5.2"s. Depending on how close the BX34 belt was, the AX34 might do it. IIRC the BX34 was way overkill for the motor HP and anticipated drive duty/loading. I think it was good for almost 12HP w/ moderate shock loads. The reason I went with it is because it came out the closest to the right dimensions for me. AX section belts are a bit narrower cross section and will ride lower in the pulleys.

Later,
    Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I did it too!

Being inspired by Mactec's design that I had spotted on a different thread, I had a go at doing this conversion with a poly v belt and shelving the vari-speed rig on my Series 1.

I call it "mactec lite" 'cause it isn't anywhere near as sophisticated as mac's version which really really is the bees knees.
    I have since gotten it all back together and made a cover for the removed vari-speed dial but this vid clip gives you an idea of what's involved:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klGpG8dYU7M"]YouTube- BRIDGEPORT SERIES 1 CNC CONVERSION TO VFD & POLYV DRIVE[/nomedia]

Thanks mac for inspiring all of us with your beautiful work!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice job MARKG.
    Have you tried to overdrive the motor? If so, how did it sound?
    I would like to be able to do the same thing but get 5000+ RPM's out of it. I really see no point in doing the conversion unless you get some more rpm's. Problem with the BP is the length of spindle shaft and the vari-drive pulleys hanging on the top of the shaft don't get along with higher rpm's.

Thanks for sharing.
    Scott

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Scott,

I agree, the long motor shaft eccentric belt/pulley load probably isn't helping trying to run this setup fast. I'm thinking that's probably why Mactec cut the covers down and went to a disc brake, to shorten everything down. Maybe he can chime in and share his views on this with us.

I have run it to about 120 hz and it didn't sound happy so I have settled on 80hz (120% or about 2400 rpm) for now. Any higher and it starts to complain. To be honest I'm not sure if it's the motor or the spindle that's not happy though. This is a machine that I got off of Kijiji locally for 1000$ and I don't know how hard a life it has had, I am using it in a home shop for hobby use so I'm not pushing my luck! :-)

BTW, this machine is an upgrade from small servo cnc converted Rong fu mill drill for me so I'm more than happy with it like this for now!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast