BRIDGEPORT Torque-Cut 22 - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BRIDGEPORT Torque-Cut 22

Downloads
    Uploads

The CIB is a metal box into which they put the mother board, BMDC, etc.
    It is about 15 inches square and about 6 inches deep. A row of connectors along the entire length of the right side.
    Big question. Is it a geared head? That was an option. If so does it change gears correctly?
    Of all the TC-22 we installed, all are running except one. It could be running but the customer refuses to do any preventative maintenance.
    Would I buy one? Yes. But I would see it run and HEAR it run. Price is so good as to make me cautious.
    Side note: My office was trying to sell a TC-22 with a CIB and Yaskawa motors and drives (these are brushless AC which are a LOT better than the older DC motor type such as you are looking at). Customer was cutting stainless steel. The competition was trying to sell a 50 taper machine. By carefully selecting tooling, using the geared head and writing the correct program this 40 taper machine outcut the 50 taper machine. The price was a lot more attractive too. The customer purchased ours. It is still running. It helped that I ran a shop cutting stainless for 3 years. The competition did not devote enough time to do a proper demo. Understood as well.

George

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone have a photo of the CIB? curious to see.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

George,
    One conversion i had with the seller brought up that a tech was brought in to check out the machine because the head was thought to be noisy,
    When BP was done his report said that the belt driven head did produce a small amount of noise and said the machine was fine,
    Does this seem legit to you?
    It seems they are not attempting to hide anything so far.
    I am not familiar with the control but I would like to check backlash with an indicator while I am there and also run thru a tool change.
    Will the mill run thru a lool change cycle without a tool in the carousel?
    Also is the control pretty easy to figure out?
    I am just concerned incase no one is there that knows anything about the operation.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Torque-Cut 22

We had a machine for a while similar to what you are looking at except it had the Heidenhain control which I liked a lot better than that DX-32. It was definitely a newer version but I think it did have the geared head. I think they got it for like $27,000 new when Bridgeport was liquidating everything. It was a fantastic deal at the time. I really liked it but they didn't keep it around long. I also saw the one you are looking at and the price seemed too good to be true for what it was. I wish it was around here, I'd be temped to update, I'm kind of in the same situation you are in except I just use my machine to play around on. Hopefully it works out good for you and you can get it for what they advertised it at.

Kevin

Downloads
    Uploads

The head is noisy and it does sound like belt whine. This is normal. Having said that, there is a gear in there that is very special. It may be powdered metalurgy or have a hardened coating. We have replaced more than 2 but less than 6. None in my area. Mostly in TN. The transmission is made by GEAR TECHNIQUE (1-608-273-4644). Just in case you want to have a conversation with them. One of the things to consider when purchasing a machine is where service will come from. If there is a mercenary service tech that had worked for Bridgeport in your area, that would be a plus. You will eventually need a tech for any machine you own. Also a person's opinion/satisfaction and idea of what it is worth is a function of how good his service has been. This also could be a reason for the price.
    Yes, it should go through the tool change process without tools in it. The tool finger segments are plastic. Make sure none are broken.
    Control is very easy to figure out. It has backlash comp and pitch error comp.

George

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Important!
    Make sure this machine has had the Z axis motor upgraded to the PARVEX motor. Bridgeport did this because the original SEM DC motor was not strong enough. This machine does not have a counter-weight thus the motor has to lift the entire mass.

George

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks George,
    Will there be a tag on the motor with the manufacturer?
    If this has not been changed what is the alternative.
    I am anxious to get over there and see the machine and hope it is fine.
    I just finished up a run of 35 parts on my series II and sure could use the tool changer.
    I have a run of 35 more parts of another size and then 35 of another size and would be much faster on the TC22.
    I can,t complain the BP just tics right along,As long as I stay away from e-stop or even hold will the machine is in motion(mostly in a rapid)it so far hasn,t blown a transistor.
    I even kicked around wiring a plug to the transistor board and one on the wiring harness so I could just unplug the bad one and plug in the replacement.
    It really doesnt take to long to replace them anyway.
    i still havent found the exact way to check these,do you need to unsolder all 4 and then check them?
    I have checked them still soldered and have been able to get the right one both times i blew one.
    Thank you!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Could someone talk me through a tool change on a Torq-cut 22?
    I have never run this control and just need a quick how too.
    I just need to see the machine run through it .
    thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Motor has a tag on it that says PARVEX. it is twice as big as the SEM motors.

Boot machine.
    enable drives.
    home machine. Once home it may display the last program used and will ask if you want to load it. You could say yes and see how it runs if the part program zero and TLOs are correct. otherwise say no. it may also say that there is a error loading from floppy. This is normal if the last program was loaded from a floppy which is no longer in the drive. ESC.
    Make a notation of the time and date, and the software version.
    You need the page with STM on the bottom of the CRT as a F key. Press that.
    for S enter noting and press enter. For T enter a tool not to exceed 22 and ENTER. For M enter 6 and ENTER. At this point (I cannot remember) it may ask you to press + to execute. DO NOT ENTER A VALUE GREATER THAN 22 FOR A TOOL NUMBER. THE CONTROL WILL GET CONFUSED.
    You need air hooked up by the way.
    As long as you are at this page , enter 500 for S, nothing for T and M3 to see if the spindle functions.
    Then S 2000 enter, enter, enter. to see if it will switch to high gear.
    Press F2 to shut off the spindle.
    toggle to the brown number screen. Go to DOS.
    at the C prompt type DIR/P, enter. Keep pressing enter untill you get to the bottom and you will see how much storage space is left.
    Then type at the C prompt CD/DOS
    You should see C:\DOS
    now type SCANDISK followed by enter. Scan the C drive for errors.
    Exit from that and type CD\ which should bring you back to the C prompt.
    type RUN followed by a enter.
    You should be back at the machine software.
    You will look like a pro.
    If very brave at the main screen press the F key for the maint page.
    Scroll down to see how much backlash is dialed in. Your dial may show zero because it is set correctly. this will show you how much wear is already comped.

George

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks George,
    I will print that out and take it with me.
    Hopefully there is someone there that is familiar with the machine.
    I am leaving around noon tommorrow and its a 6 hr drive for me.
    trailer is hooked ready to go.
    Its a 12000lb trailer 84 inches wide between fengers and 16 ft long,machine should fit between fenders ok shouldn,t it?
    Also is ther provisions for tying the mill down on the mill?
    Also what if the drive motor has not been changed?
    Is it just a bolt on swap or is there other changes in hardware/software needed.
    Need you comments on that for sure.
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

I have not had a chance to run by the office and check the weight and dimensions.
    I do not remember holes in the casting for putting bars through for lifting. Instead I remember having to make the forks on the forklift as narrow as possible to fit beneath the base casting.
    i guess if you unscrew the leveling screws, you could use them with straps. Lower the head onto a block of wood.
    Upgrading the Z axis to a parvex would probably be cost prohibitive. When I did the swap, it included a motor and drive board. There were parameter changes. I probably have a service bulletin on it still. By checking the parameters, you may not need to look inside the column at what motor is there.

George

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tpmx57 View Post
    George,
    One conversion i had with the seller brought up that a tech was brought in to check out the machine because the head was thought to be noisy,
    When BP was done his report said that the belt driven head did produce a small amount of noise and said the machine was fine,
    Does this seem legit to you?
    It seems they are not attempting to hide anything so far.
    I am not familiar with the control but I would like to check backlash with an indicator while I am there and also run thru a tool change.
    Will the mill run thru a lool change cycle without a tool in the carousel?
    Also is the control pretty easy to figure out?
    I am just concerned incase no one is there that knows anything about the operation.
    When you get there, read in the supplied manuals about bringing the spindle up to speed. I forget where this is in the books. But, you definitely want to check the health of the spindle bearings. The book outlines a ramp-up procedure to bring the spindle bearings up to speed (temperature) and to check for overheating of the quill.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Back home from Philedelphia with the Troq-cut tonight.
    Got to the warehouse this morning about 9:30am,ran the machine through
    some checks for about an hour.
    Got loaded on the trailer around 1:00 and headed home.
    Didn,t get home to 10:30,construction on the turnpike slows progress way down
    Everything seems to work fine.
    Changed tools no problem,shifted gears fine.
    Had the Parvex motor upgraded on the Z axis.
    Didn,t have the CIB.
    They had the manuals,floppy for back-up and parameters.
    Even had some extra small items still in wrappers from BP.
    Even found the papers from the original sale to the buyer.
    Had a check out report from the person from bridgeport who set it up and the machines settings.
    Machine needs a good cleaning but other than that I was surprised how good it looked.
    Hopefully it lasts a while.
    Thanks to all who told what to check for.
    Thanks again George for your help with this and the last BP I bought.
    I will post some pictures once its unloaded and in the shop cleaned up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Need a little advice on taking off the Z axis brake on the Torq-cut 22.
    I may have to remove it to get it in the shop.
    Also the drive belt pulley on the ballscrew.
    I am going to look at the manual but just wanted to make sure there isn,t something to watch out for.
    How is the pulley attached to the screw?

Last edited by tpmx57; 10-02-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Most important is to block the head up. Otherwise if the brake is removed the head will go for the table. The rest is straight forward.
    Remember that if you upset the relationship of the motor to ball screw, you will have to reset the tool change height.

George

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got the BP Torq-cut in the shop today and power is hooked up.
    When I power it up the computer goes through its check then a blue screen comes up for a split second then goes to another blue screen that says Machine check:machine not running
    Then says Executive Load..Wait,then the \c:\> comes up and just hangs there.
    If I type run at the \c:\> it flashes to a blue screen that says DOS and DX32
    that flashes for a second then goes back to the \c:\>.
    The interface did load 2 times but would not load again.
    I think at the first blue screen at the bottom it says error:Loading Operater Interface,there is a code but it goes away so fast I can,t read it.
    The machine started and ran fine when I checked it out there so I am not sure whats up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure what was going on but I checked all the plugs and made sure all were seated well and made sure the plug was tight on the harddrive and when i tryed again the mill is starting fine,
    everthing comes up fine and i can home the axis out.
    I was thinking maybe I should buy a new harddrive and have a copy from the one in the mill ,

Downloads
    Uploads

The BMDC did not load the software. This is common after a bumpy ride.
    You were correct to reseat all the plugs. I would have also pulled the BMDC out, cleaned the edge connector with a soft eraser and reseated it. There have been occasions where I have used a different ISA slot and re-established communications that way too.
    No hard drive. Next time get a DISK on a MODULE (DOM).

George

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks George.
    If I get a BOM can I copy the hard drive on the machine to it through DOS
    by putting it in a extra ISA slot?
    Or just use another PC to copy it on?
    Once I have a copy I can use it if ever needed.
    Also I want to get a couple motherboards to put away,is this what I would want? 386/486/pentium 133 DOS PC,anything in paticular to make sure of?
    Thank You

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Played with the tc today some.
    Got it to run through the tool change several times.one time it hung up on a limit switch and gave an error,had to home the carousel to get it going again.
    Also got the pc to hang in the edit screen,it said esc would exit but the pc was locked there.
    Something I am doing wrong just need to play some more.
    Also what is the proper way to shut the machine down?
    I was just pressing e-stop and shutting off power.
    Machine has sat for a year and appears limit switches are gummy.
    I am going to go thru like George advised and clean the bmdc contacts.
    So far so good.
    Alot to figure out,not like the new cnc's I have ran.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast