Autonumerics LC-5 with a Hardinge Lathe

Thread: Autonumerics LC-5 with a Hardinge Lathe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Autonumerics LC-5 with a Hardinge Lathe

Ah, to anyone in general:

I work for a small company that has aquired a Autonumerics, Inc. LC-5 controlled Hardinge Lathe. This thing is probably in the region of 40 or so years old but the lathe still works and although we have the operations manuals we don't see much mechanical information about the controller. And I think the drivers may be mechanical? Except for the fact that it is punch tape, it is pretty difficult to find anything out about it as the company, I think, is probably OOB. We have a vague idea of modifying it perhaps to a Linux based computer pushing whatever drivers may end up being available. Anyone out there ever heard of this thing and maybe know anything about the circuits involved?

piedpiper

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

To the administrator, I misread the title of this section. If you want, move it to the correct section-maybe Hardinge Lathes?

piedpiper

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Autonumerics LC-5 with a Hardinge Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by piedpiper View Post
    Ah, to anyone in general:

I work for a small company that has aquired a Autonumerics, Inc. LC-5 controlled Hardinge Lathe. This thing is probably in the region of 40 or so years old but the lathe still works and although we have the operations manuals we don't see much mechanical information about the controller. And I think the drivers may be mechanical? Except for the fact that it is punch tape, it is pretty difficult to find anything out about it as the company, I think, is probably OOB. We have a vague idea of modifying it perhaps to a Linux based computer pushing whatever drivers may end up being available. Anyone out there ever heard of this thing and maybe know anything about the circuits involved?

piedpiper

piedpiper,

Wow, it's been 9 years since you posted this, but I just stumbled upon it in a search. I'm curious how it turned out. Were you able to get the mechanical information on the LC-5? My dad started Autonumerics in the '60s and ran it until 1979. They closed their doors in the mid-1980s. Wish I'd come across this post years ago, as my father could have been of help.

Regards,
    George