What is this machine worth? Bridgeport R2E3

Thread: What is this machine worth? Bridgeport R2E3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What is this machine worth? Bridgeport R2E3

It looks pretty clean. don't know much about it. What is the range that this should sell for? Thanks

BRIDGEPORT TEXTRON CNC R2E3 SERIES 1 VERTICAL MILL NICE
    SUPER CLEAN MILL. W/ COOLING + ELECTRONICS. WE CAN SHIP
    Item Specifics - Mills, Milling-Type Machines
    Type: CNC, Vertical
    X-Axis Travel Bed: 26'' - 30''
    Make:
    Bridgeport
    Y-Axis Travel Bed: 10'' - 15''
    Model: R2E3
    Z-Axis Travel Bed:Less than 10''
    Model Year:
    Highest Spindle Speed (RPM): 4001 - 4500
    Serial Number: R2E3467

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What's it worth?

Rich,
    I am in New England. I recently aquired 2 series 2 r2e3's for the cost of having them moved. I have seen the series 1 & series 2 go for , free up to 5K.
    If you have never run a cnc you should do some homework like checking out different controls.
    Do you have a budget or are you just wondering if that is a good deal?
    Cutmore

Downloads
    Uploads

if it is a series 1, x travel is 18 inches

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What's it worth?

Yesterday, I watched a running Bridgeport R2E3 at a Pennsylvania auction sell for $750.00.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you have never run a cnc you should do some homework like checking out different controls.
    good info. why are these machines going so cheap??

Lots of folks so far have told me to "do my homework first", believe me I would read up on it but have found no sources that review the different controllers, and setups. How can I learn about the pros and cons of each machine. Each is so unique it is literally starting over with each case.

As for why I have inquired an assocate offered one to me for $6,000. I will get some more info on it.

R.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

got mine for 1000. just a week ago. So they do go for pretty cheep.

Bidding started at around 600-700 on it.

How ever I'm pretty darn sure my X travel is quite a bit more then 18" Can measure tonight.

b.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

what is wrong with these machines why so cheap?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some people think they are trouble (watching people pass the one I bid on).. Others who are using them say they are work horses.

Personaly I see a bridgeport body (ie all the main parts that make up a manual mill) that is going for dirt cheep in relation to manual mills selling in auctions right next to it. For example where I got mine 3 or 4 lots before it went up was a manual mill (off brand Newport or something) with 2 asix dro, pretty loose table that went for 1,100 bucks..

In light that my R2E3 seems to run and such I'd say I got the better deal..

I still have to set it back up after the move and have not run my first cnc program. But if it happens the controller is not to my likeing I'll just interface it with my Mach setup and call it a day. In that case I got a pretty large mill, with servos, ball screws, huge table, coolant, auto spindle, auto draw bar, and everything to make a pretty darn good basement cnc machine with out having to do what would have amounted to a full conversion to a previously manual bridgeport (ie adding screws and such to it)..

So over all I'd say mine was a good deal. Hopefully I will remain convinced of that. Only thing I think I will want to add is a manual lever for operating Z but oh well.

b.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default re

If it is a series one, it is 18 inches, only the very very late explorer had a longer travel.

If those servo boss machines are going this cheap, theya re a great deal. Just don't expect much from the control

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gus.. Unless I'm measuring wrong and the stops have been set in the wrong place for 20+ to ingage the home and limit on x I have 25" travel.. Table is some 42" long as well incase that helps figure anything

Mine is a S 1 2V3E - 270 (serial) It's from ~85 but don't know what late or early would be but I'm curious if I might have something special..hehe

Unless you are talking about Y but I thought Y only had ~12"

Cool to hear any info ya have about them

b.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default re

not at all the same machine. yours is not a rigid ram I take it

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why are they so cheap? Well, that’s all relative I suppose.
    You need to determine what you really need the CNC to do.
    And also, what you have to work with.
    These machines can and do perform production work, but they lack an automatic tool changer usually preferred when running longer production runs.
    For smaller production/one-off work, the more universal “J-head” styles of “Bridgeport” machines with CNC seem very popular. Their user-friendly PC based controls are more easily adapted to small shop/ homeowner applications (i.e. smaller power requirements, weight, footprint, etc).
    Now for the $6,000.00, you could shop around, and find a small used CNC machine center with ATC, more horsepower, etc. But does your facilities have the power, air, accessibility, sound enough foundation to support such a machine?
    But if the machine your currently looking at is clean and in good shape, and have an immediate need, then I guess it’s worth it.
    Like I said, it’s all-relative.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mine is a dove tail ram (if that is the correct term)...

Curous if 1 is better then the other. Personally I'm galad to have the ability to tilt the head if I need to as well as moving it around incase I have an odd depth or job.. I'd think that would give more flexibility then a fixed head model?

Still curious better or worse then others or just a different flavor?

b/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with the different flavor part. It is what you need to do and what you can afford. The R2E3 is going to be difficult to get good at for small operations. There are shops that use them for low tech parts production. i.e. steel plate cut out shape. The control is just a bear. I have an R2G4 that I have forced myself to learn to use and adapt for my use. THere is just no money in the Department budget to buy something newer. I got really excited when I read about Ajaxcnc for a retrofit. Most Boss machines are $4,000 to convert but mine, AC Servos startes at twice that.

But now, using MasterCam I can draw quick 2D geometry, produce the tool path and send it to the machine. I am cutting the control pendulum arm and setting the whole thing on top of a short computer rack, mounting my PC inside the Rack for protection and have the computer screen right below controller.

To put things in perspective, these machines are from the early 80's. What kind of personal computer were you using in the early 80's?

If I did not work in a machine shop, and had a chance to have anything in my home, I would jump on it. If I could save close to $10,000 I would buy much newer used.

My opinion Lee