Problem Fine gray-iron chips creating sludge, clogging machine. Hours of downtime cleaning.

Thread: Fine gray-iron chips creating sludge, clogging machine. Hours of downtime cleaning.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Fine gray-iron chips creating sludge, clogging machine. Hours of downtime cleaning.

We're running the same product on these lines. A couple of the operations create these very fine chips that end up creating a mud-like sludge on the screens and hinder coolant flow. Has anyone dealt with this issue before? Our line is in the middle of a several hour long cleanup process. I'm looking to some solution to this to avoid having to do it in the future.

Some details:
    We only run gray-iron castings on this line. The graphite in the gray iron is less magnetic and I believe this is the bulk of the sludge avoid our magnetic conveyor.
    We use a magnetic chip conveyor which seems to collect only the large chips, I don't really see any of the sludge get in there.

If anyone has dealt with this issue and found resolution I'd love to hear how it played out.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fine gray-iron chips creating sludge, clogging machine. Hours of downtime cleanin

I've machined a fair bit of cast iron and it was always, without option, machined dry.

We used dust extract and filtration to handle the dust as it is a fair health hazard if not coped with.

Bending bits of metal in Hertfordshire - https://ddmetalproducts.co.uk

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fine gray-iron chips creating sludge, clogging machine. Hours of downtime cleanin

One way to handle that is a moving fine screen conveyor, with a backwash system to clean the screen. I think these are commercially available or pretty easy to build. I have also seen a centrifugal solids separator. We used to use what was like coffee filter material that was on a roll, when it started plugging up, you just pull some fresh material into place and toss the used piece in the trash.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA