Build Thread The Broncobots Torq-Cut 22 Restoration

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Broncobots Torq-Cut 22 Restoration

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default The Broncobots Torq-Cut 22 Restoration

My name's Paul and I'm a mentor for the Lee's Summit North High School FIRST Robotics Competition team, The Broncobots, out of Lee's Summit, Missouri. To learn more about the team, check out the website as that is a post all on its own: www.teambroncobots.com.
    One tidbit I'll mention is the robotics team is a 501c3 non-profit. We are given a build site by our school district, but the team otherwise receives no direct funding from the school. The team stays afloat through sponsors, fundraisers, and grants.

Through a fellow mentor, the team had a connection to the Brunson Instrument Company who very generously donated our newest machine, a 1996 vintage Bridgeport Torq-Cut 22 VMC. This post is my way of showcasing the work that we put in to breathe new life into this old production machine prior to the robotics team using it.

In late August, after nearly 6 months of waiting, we were given the green light to move the machine out of the caves that are home to Bruson Instruments. Since rigging companies are expensive, we originally thought we would transport the machine ourselves with a pickup and trailer; however, weighing in at 6500lbs, plus the forklift that would would be necessary to load the machine, we decided it easiest and safest to hire a semi that could haul both together. We got the the logistics figured out and set the move date to be September 15th, 2017.

The day came and several Broncobot mentors met up at Brunson. We rented a forklift from a nearby company, moved the machine outside, and loaded it onto the landoll trailer.

Some backstory on this machine - It was made about 1996, Brunson purchased it new, and it was used in a production environment in various capacities up until about 2015 to machine stainless steel. As best as we can tell, when it was removed from production it was simply unplugged and placed in a corner - the machine was left with all the coolant and stainless shavings covering every visible surface inside the cabinet. I didn't take nearly enough "before" pictures to capture the condition it was in… just know that it was disgusting.

Due to a parade at the high school, and so we would have daylight, we left the machine on the truck overnight and met to move it into our robotics shop the following day, a Saturday morning.
    Once it was in the shop myself and other mentor, Joshua (jgwentworth96), took lead to make this machine ours over the coming months. We knew we wanted to paint some parts of it, especially after seeing the old paint falling away and some surface rust, but we found that it was going to take a lot more than just some paint. The day we set it in the shop I used a combination of putty knives, an electric power washer, and rags to start to clean things out. We very quickly determined that this wasn't going to be enough. There were chips in every crevice, a green algae of sorts had made a home in the upper portion of the cabinet... it was bad.
    If we were going to do this, we had to go all out and do it right, so we determined that the enclosure had to come off.

Due to schedules, Joshua and I could only work on this on weekends, and since we still had regular team meetings throughout the week we had to clean up most of our mess at the end of every weekend.

The next weekend, with the help of a few friends and a Dingo we separated the enclosure from the machine, took it outside, and went crazy with a high power gas pressure washer. We washed every surface we could, trying to get years of chips and grime out of the machine as best as we could.

Once we had power washed the enclosure and the panels we brought everything back inside and started sanding all the parts to prep for primer. After we were sufficiently happy with the metal we set up our "paint booth" for the first time. We knew from the start that we wanted to paint the interior of the cabinet white to reflect as much light as possible, and on the outside we wanted to do grey and red in some fashion. For those curious, we used Rustoleum enamel paints for the white and red. Rustoleum enamels are premixed, and we didn't like their grey's, for that we used an outdoor enamel paint and mixed up the grey from the Broncobots team logo. About 90% of all of the painting was airless, hence the need for an enclosed booth, with some painting being done with an HVLP, brush, and spray paint.

The airless sprayer, while a major pain to clean on its own, with oil based paints was awful. Of course, that could have been because half the time I was cleaning it at 1am or 2am and just wanted to be done. Ultimately, the airless made easy work of getting in all of the crevices and getting a nice uniform coat on everything.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by pts211; 12-28-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: The Broncobots Torq-Cut 22 Restoration

Having done the base coats on the enclosure and loose parts, we prepared to do some painting on the rest of the machine that we couldn't move. We decided that we would make all of the key moving/control components red: tool changer, table, spindle covers, boom arm, console; the casting, electrical cabinet, enclosure would be grey with a red accent stripe. For this we had to get creative and put up a paint booth back around the rest of the machine sitting in our shop.

Ideally we would have removed everything off of the casting, such as the air manifold - but we were advised to not mess with the old lines as that could quickly become more of a headache later. So I got to work taping them off and all the other components in/around the casting.

One of my personal goals for this project was to make the machine uniquely ours while maintaining its identity. By that I mean I wanted to have all of the original Bridgeport and Torq-Cut logos on the machine as they used to be. For that I used Fiverr.com, and for a very reasonable price, hired a graphic artist to recreate vector versions of the original machine logos. Joshua had a friend with a vinyl cutter who then cut negatives of the logos out for us to use as paint stencils.

Part of the making it ours, aside from the colors, included adding the Broncobots logo underneath the console on the enclosure.

At this point, we had completed 95% of all of the painting. Since then, we touched up a few things up here and there.

There were some smaller tasks that we worked out - we purchased new ¼" polycarbonate for the side access doors and the main window, sourced a new rubber gasket to go around the window, replaced all of the bearings on the door, cleaned up the handles, and basically put the enclosure components back on. Shout out to Fairchild Industries for donating the new rubber gasket material for the window!

The largest "to do" item that we still had to address was the operator console. The 1996 CRT was very fuzzy, and looked… well, old school. We tested some of the random monitors we had laying around the shop.

Of those, we found that a wide-screen monitor would display okay, and one of them happened to fit inside the existing console perfectly. "Perfectly" in this case meant that it took up the entire console and left no room for the buttons. We then designed a new front panel that would shift all of the buttons off the side of the console giving us room for the new monitor in the old area. In the end we actually made this twice, the first time plasma cut the sheet metal, but some incorrect measurements and bad bends resulted in us trashing the first one. After getting the measurements correct, we decided to ask a local company, High Tech Laser and Polishing, to laser cut the next version.

While Joshua had been CADing the sheet metal changes, I recreated the graphic that goes behind the buttons on the panel and a few other graphics to put back on the machine.

Once the console was completed, we took a break while waiting for the school district electricians to come and wire the machine (that process was started back when we got the machine in September and was finally done after Thanksgiving!).

Eventually, it was time to power it up for the first time in our shop. We opted to keep the enclosure off until we could could turn it on for the first time and run it through some basic checks. By doing this, everything would be easily accessible should we need to tear into any of it. There was some nervousness, but that was quickly put to rest, as we found everything was working just fine.

The next big thing was to get this thing properly set up. Joshua reached out to Maruka and was put into contact with Jim. Jim does CNC installs and repairs and said it would be no problem to come out and set things up for us.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Broncobots Torq-Cut 22 Restoration-snapchat-2009795404-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jim said that he was very impressed after he was done with the work. As you'll see from the sheets above, we had excellent squareness, almost no backlash, and little/no runout (more on this later), everything was spot on!

With Jim's work done on the hardware side, Joshua put the rear enclosure panels back on, caulked some of the seams for good measure, and tested the coolant pump. I converted the 527MB hard drive to a 512MB CF card using a CF to IDE converter, upgraded from DOS 6.2 to DOS 6.22, and installed Windows for Workgroups 3.11. The Windows install is to prepare for the putting the CNC on a network to transfer g-code programs quickly without messing with floppies or flash drives. I bought an ISA networking card from Ebay for $5, and with relative ease had a share folder on the network where we can copy our g-code files, no floppies necessary.

Joshua reached out WM. F. Hurst to to inquire about coolant. They donated 5 gallons of Cimstar Qualstar LF pink coolant for the cost of shipping. We mixed up 10 gallons worth and filled our reservoir. Our shop is relatively small and one concern we had was coolant smell. Based on Joshua's research we needed to keep the liquid moving and the oil off of the top to make the coolant last as long possible and to minimize smell. We went with a nice DIY option from At-Man Unlimited Machining. His solution was a saltwater aquarium pump placed in a bin with slots inside of the reservoir. The pump circulates the coolant underneath and makes the surface of the coolant flow into the bucket, all of the oil on top of the surface is then trapped inside ready to be scooped out regularly.

Finally, we had everything together and ready to go. Now it was time to make a part. Joshua and I tend to go big, thus set out to mill a sheet metal stamp die to be used by some of my Jeep friends who working to restore a 1945 CJ2A. If interested, you can read the restoration thread here: https://goo.gl/ME6Nux
    Basically Jeff (aka. Jpet on the 2A pages) gave us a 3D scan that Joshua went off of to model the part and create all of our tool paths using Fusion 360. Once the CAM was done, we set out to run the part.
    Almost immediately we hit our first snag. The ISA networking card was yet to be delivered and the g-code file was 5.5MB, a little too large for our 1.44MB floppy disks. We could've split up the tool paths into small files, but we didn't want to go that far. Instead, I tried zipping the file and unzipping it on the DX32. That was being a little difficult and before I figured that out, I realized the "HDD" of the machine is just a Compact Flash card now. So I shut the machine off, pulled the card, and copied the file from one of our workstations.

I then learned how to use the DX32 DNC to execute the large file, and we hesitantly kicked it off. The part ran almost perfectly, from it we think we've found we may have a little runout on part of CAT40 spindle. We are working to diagnose and get that fixed, we'll update once we figure that out.
    This machine still has a long life ahead of it, it took A LOT of work and some very long weekends. Joshua nor I will say that we are "done" - but I think I can safely say that our primary restoration is complete!

We have been fortunate enough to receive a couple more generous donations of equipment for our machine. The Kurt vise that we have now was donated for $10 by Eric Weiler at New Mill Capital. After Joshua reached out to our regional Haimer representative, Matt, who donated a 3d sensor to make setting work offsets easier for our students. We are now working on finding tooling, and a few more Kurt vises.
    Finally, a big shout out to the Torq Cut/DX32/CNC community, through your forum posts and YouTube videos we've found answers to many of the "new to us" questions we've had.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Broncobots Torq-Cut 22 Restoration-20171215_181819-jpg   The Broncobots Torq-Cut 22 Restoration-20171215_181828-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice restoration. I mentor for SWAG 4060. Excited for the kick off? I have a TC-3 in my shop. It has been a good machine especially for what I have into it. We have a Matsuura MC-1000V at the school and it's very nice.

You might check my longish TC thread over on WW if you haven't seen it. I've used both the windows networking and FTP over packet driver. I tend to prefer the FTP because I had to degrade the security on my Samba server to allow the lanman connection. Also the packet driver uses a LOT less overhead.
    New (to me) VMC

I also have a fairly proven post for Fusion 360. Not sure what post your using but I had to fix rigid tapping and a few others bit in the generic post.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...t-dx-32-a.html
    http://home.lewiscounty.com/~forhire/posts/

This will be our first season using Fusion 360... it has been working well during the off season. One issue I ran into was the fact cloud assets are not shared when the students uses their personal hub vs the team hub. I ended up writing a bash script to sync the posts and tool libraries to their local folders. If you run macs I'd be happy to share my script.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks forhire. We are using your dx32 post for fusion and have had almost no problems with it. The only issue we have run into with drilling cycles. It appears that the canned drill cycle starts at the retract height but does not account for the retract height offset when it determines how deep the cycle should go (i.e. a hole through 0.5" material with a 0.2" top offset retract height will start 0.2" above the part and go down 0.5 from there). We think we solved it my replacing "getCommonCycle(x, y, cycle.depth, cycle.retract)" with "getCommonCycle(x, y, cycle.depth + cycle.retract, cycle.retract)" but have not tested yet. We would love some feedback on this.

Yes, we are super excited for kickoff. Hopefully we get the last few kinks worked out of the machine before then .

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jgwentworth96 View Post
    Thanks forhire. We are using your dx32 post for fusion and have had almost no problems with it. The only issue we have run into with drilling cycles. It appears that the canned drill cycle starts at the retract height but does not account for the retract height offset when it determines how deep the cycle should go (i.e. a hole through 0.5" material with a 0.2" top offset retract height will start 0.2" above the part and go down 0.5 from there). We think we solved it my replacing "getCommonCycle(x, y, cycle.depth, cycle.retract)" with "getCommonCycle(x, y, cycle.depth + cycle.retract, cycle.retract)" but have not tested yet. We would love some feedback on this.

Yes, we are super excited for kickoff. Hopefully we get the last few kinks worked out of the machine before then .
    I don't think I messed with the canned drill ops yet. Which op are you doing? Drilling, Chip Breaking, or Deep drilling? Let me know how your testing goes and I'll add the changes to the post.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    I don't think I messed with the canned drill ops yet. Which op are you doing? Drilling, Chip Breaking, or Deep drilling? Let me know how your testing goes and I'll add the changes to the post.
    We have had this issue with both peck drilling and tapping I think it will be an issue for any canned z-axis cycle. I'll keep you updated.

Downloads
    Uploads

We have had this issue with both peck drilling and tapping I think it will be an issue for any canned z-axis cycle. I'll keep you updated.
    Ok. Let's move the discussion over to the Fusion 360 post thread so this doesn't get lost. Post a few snippits of your broken g-code so I can compare.

Downloads
    Uploads

I updated the post. It appears to be posting correctly. Please test carefully.

Downloads
    Uploads

You guys did a great job on the restoration, the monitor upgrade is really cool, your installation report is a testament to how good and tough this old Bridgeport iron is. Jon P

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post

You might check my longish TC thread over on WW if you haven't seen it. I've used both the windows networking and FTP over packet driver. I tend to prefer the FTP because I had to degrade the security on my Samba server to allow the lanman connection. Also the packet driver uses a LOT less overhead.
    New (to me) VMC
    This will be our first season using Fusion 360... it has been working well during the off season. One issue I ran into was the fact cloud assets are not shared when the students uses their personal hub vs the team hub. I ended up writing a bash script to sync the posts and tool libraries to their local folders. If you run macs I'd be happy to share my script.
    I just had a chance to check out that thread over on WW, it has a lot of great stuff that I"ll have to look into more as time allows. For this season at least I'm going to stick to the Windows networking setup. It's pretty straightforward to switch from the DX32 software to Windows, and then go to a CAD computer and copy files to the VMC. The only frustrating part to me currently is that the DX32 software has a shortcut to go to Windows - I think it's "F3" from the main menu - but doing so gives an error that it can't find Windows. Any idea what file/path it's trying to launch windows from?

Fusion 360, in my opinion, is absolutely awesome. We built a CNC router just over a year ago (based on the design from cncrouterparts.com) and used Fusion last year for all of our CAM and overall it worked great. We are a Windows shop but I'd still love to see your script for syncing the posts and tools - I'm sure I could adapt it.

Asfor being ready for the season - yes and no. I'm very excited to see what FIRSThas in store for us this year, but I'd also like more time with our machinebefore things get too crazy. Late last week we went into the shop and ourcoolant pump decided to call it quits. I'm hoping to get some good news todayabout repairing the one we have. Otherwise we'll be quickly hunting for anaffordable replacement.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jonp View Post
    You guys did a great job on the restoration, the monitor upgrade is really cool, your installation report is a testament to how good and tough this old Bridgeport iron is. Jon P
    Thanks Jon - it was certainly a large undertaking but we are very happy with how it turned out. These machines may be old, but as you said they are tough and definitely still have plenty of life left in them if a little care is given!

Downloads
    Uploads

I finally got around to testing the drilling with the new post. We were wrong about the new expression fixing the problem it WILL crash your machine if you dont stop it the cycle depth is far too deep. After some more research if found a post on the autodesk forums that gave me the proper code for drilling. The proper code is: getCommonCycle(x, y, (cycle.bottom*-1+cycle.clearance)). We have run drill operations with this code and it works great for us. Hope it works for you too. How is build season going?

Downloads
    Uploads

I finally got around to testing the drilling with the new post. We were wrong about the new expression fixing the problem it WILL crash your machine if you dont stop it the cycle depth is far too deep. After some more research if found a post on the autodesk forums that gave me the proper code for drilling. The proper code is: getCommonCycle(x, y, (cycle.bottom*-1+cycle.clearance)). We have run drill operations with this code and it works great for us. Hope it works for you too. How is build season going?
    That's not quite giving me what I'd expect either. This code appears to drill too deep. For example a 1/4" a hole 0.75" deep and a 0.2" clearance, I would expect the Z depth to be Z0.95 but this code give me Z0.99. At first I thought this was drill point compensation but with a 1/4" drill I'd expect around 1.025 using the 0.3 rule.

G81 X0.0 Y-0.0 Z0.99 F5.

So using getCommonCycle(x, y, (cycle.depth+cycle.clearance)) gets me the Z0.95 I'd expect.

G81 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.95 F5.

Interesting when I turn on drill point compensation with either my code or your code I get the same depth of Z1.044. More than the 0.3 rule but I'm not sure how Fusion 360 calculates the point clearance.

If I set the hole depth to model top without drill tip compensation, the cycle.bottom value is Z0.04, which appear to me cycle.bottom always assume drill point compensation rounded down to 0.04.

The issue appears to be the usage of cycle.retract vs cycle.clearance and I wouldn't use cycle.bottom unless you always use drill point compensation.

Downloads
    Uploads

Update: It should be noted that I inadvertently had the wrong drill selected in my library. WIth the correct 0.25" drill using cycle.depth+cycle.clearance gives the correct depth with and without drill point comp using the 0.3 rule.

without:
    G81 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.95 F5.

with:
    G81 X0.0 Y0.0 Z1.0251 F5.

Downloads
    Uploads

After looking further at the gcode it does appear correct as it is... I will have to go back and see why that center drill wanted to kill itself

Downloads
    Uploads

After looking further at the gcode it does appear correct as it is... I will have to go back and see why that center drill wanted to kill itself
    If it was a multi-hole operation the first one likely would have been fine but it wouldn't have retracted fully and the second likely would have gone deep.

You will also find a spot drill will likely serve you better than a center drill for your starts. Not as fragile and the angle is better.

I updated my post last night to use:
    getCommonCycle(x, y, (cycle.depth+cycle.clearance))

Be aware, thinking about it overnight, I have concerns using cycle.clearance if your feed height and clearance height are different. I haven't tested it as the default is they are the same.

Downloads
    Uploads

I dumped the variables and cycle.retract is the feed height. The original should have worked. I was a bit confused by the 0.04" but after I dumped the variables I realized I had inadvertently set my origin to stock top.

getCommonCycle(x, y, (cycle.depth+cycle.retract)) is the correct code.

If you still don't think it's correct than post your g-code and model and I'll take a look.

Downloads
    Uploads

Forhire, your newest post is not working for me at all. I have attached the model of the part I have been working with. For example with the twist drill (T20) in the "Front" setup the height From the top point to the bottom in fusion is about 2.875" but your gcode exports a cycle with a depth of 3.9652". Your previous post before I mentioned the "getCommonCycle(x, y, (cycle.bottom*-1+cycle.clearance))"worked well enough for us. We desperately need to be able to use drill ops right now.

*no attatchment because apparently the file format is not supported.

Downloads
    Uploads

Forhire, your newest post is not working for me at all. I have attached the model of the part I have been working with. For example with the twist drill (T20) in the "Front" setup the height From the top point to the bottom in fusion is about 2.875" but your gcode exports a cycle with a depth of 3.9652". Your previous post before I mentioned the "getCommonCycle(x, y, (cycle.bottom*-1+cycle.clearance))"worked well enough for us. We desperately need to be able to use drill ops right now.

*no attatchment because apparently the file format is not supported.
    I sent you a PM with my contact information. Once I have your model I may have a better idea of what's going on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast