New Machine Build Keep screws and nut or are ballscrews a must.

Thread: Keep screws and nut or are ballscrews a must.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Keep screws and nut or are ballscrews a must.

So I pulled the trigger on a completely reconditioned Bridgeport J Head Mill. I plan on CNC retrofitting it myself. They put in brand new screws and nuts. Should I go ahead and replace them with ball screws? Seems like a shame to do it.

I'd like to keep the screws because I plan being able to bump down to manual with a DRO for simple stuff. heard that ballscrews don't hold position well. I guess I can limit myself to one axis at a time by locking the axes (yes, that's the correct way to spell axis in plural).

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Keep screws and nut or are ballscrews a must.

I thought of using my cnc conversion in manual mode - forget it, once you go cnc you don't go back - it's easier for me now to type a couple of lines of g-code than it is to twiddle the hand-cranks

My screws were knackered so my decision was easier, if your screws and nuts are new then they might work ok in a cnc but you will have more backlash as they need it for clearance, ballscrews have none.

Bending bits of metal in Hertfordshire - https://ddmetalproducts.co.uk