Torq Cut 22 pull studs?

Thread: Torq Cut 22 pull studs?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Torq Cut 22 pull studs?

The local FIRST robotics team that I mentor (FRC 1987) has recently had a '96 Torq Cut 22 donated from a local business. We have spent most of the last few months restoring it (post chronicling our experience will probably coming soon). The machine has the Cat 40 spindle and we recently got a great deal on ebay for enough tool holders to fill the machine but we are not sure which pull studs the machine uses. We got a couple holders with the machine that have these (https://goo.gl/znuGiV) pull studs in them but we don't know that they came from our machine. Can someone with a Torq Cut confirm what the proper studs are?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Torq Cut 22 pull studs?

We use the through coolant style for our collet holders as it potentially allows the puff of air on tool change to blow chips off of the cutter when it puts the tool back into the carousel. The solid style works good too at the same price from MSC. The BT40 spindles in these Bridgeport VMCs use a different more elongated style.

Parlec - A Style, CAT40 Taper, 5/8-11 Thread, 45° Angle Radius, Standard Retention Knob
    1.68 Inch Overall Length, 0.281 Inch Coolant Hole Diameter, 0.74 Inch Knob Diameter, 0.12 Inch Flange Thickness, 0.64 Inch Knob to Flange Length, 0.635 Inch Pilot Diameter, Through Coolant
    Mfr Part #: 40TRK MSC Part #: 01401751

Parlec - A Style, CAT40 Taper, 5/8-11 Thread, 45° Angle Radius, Standard Retention Knob
    1.68 Inch Overall Length, 0.74 Inch Knob Diameter, 0.12 Inch Flange Thickness, 0.44 Inch Knob to Flange Length, 0.635 Inch Pilot Diameter
    Mfr Part #: 40NTRK MSC Part #: 0156128

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jmullett View Post
    We use the through coolant style for our collet holders as it potentially allows the puff of air on tool change to blow chips off of the cutter when it puts the tool back into the carousel. The solid style works good too at the same price from MSC. The BT40 spindles in these Bridgeport VMCs use a different more elongated style.

1.68 Inch Overall Length, 0.281 Inch Coolant Hole Diameter, 0.74 Inch Knob Diameter, 0.12 Inch Flange Thickness, 0.64 Inch Knob to Flange Length, 0.635 Inch Pilot Diameter, Through Coolant
    Mfr Part #: 40TRK MSC Part #: 01401751

1.68 Inch Overall Length, 0.74 Inch Knob Diameter, 0.12 Inch Flange Thickness, 0.44 Inch Knob to Flange Length, 0.635 Inch Pilot Diameter
    Mfr Part #: 40NTRK MSC Part #: 0156128
    Kind of old thread but, I am going to change the grippers out in my TC22 for CT40 grippers. I needed to see a drawing of the pull stud. Found your post. Did you leave out a digit on the non through hole MSC part number? A one perhaps?

Downloads
    Uploads

Is this it? Pricey little things. Anyone switch their Bridgeport VMC from CT40 to BT40? LOL

Marty

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torq Cut 22 pull studs?-bpt-tc22-ct40-pull-stud-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes that's the solid one that I use. The final one digit in the part number must not have made it into my copy/paste, but I do recommend the 01401751 if you are using it on a collet holder since the knob has a thru hole to allow the air blast to puff through the slits in the collet and blows some of the chips and coolant off of the tool.

If your goal is to run CAT tooling in the BT spindle or vise versa. I think you are going to have way more work cut out for you and a bit more money than it's worth. Especially if $23 retention knobs are price sensitive to you. The only similarity between the BT and CAT is the taper angle, The retention fingers on the end of the draw bar are bound to be different. The spindle keys are going to be different. Tool fingers in the changer are going to be different etc. If you really want to do this conversion, it's probably easier to keep running the machine as is until the next bearing rebuild. Then find a complete spindle cartridge off a parts machine for rebuild. You should find plenty of low cost BT tooling on the used market. If the CAT tooling is such a great deal buy it and resell online for profit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jmullett View Post
    Yes that's the solid one that I use. The final one digit in the part number must not have made it into my copy/paste, but I do recommend the 01401751 if you are using it on a collet holder since the knob has a thru hole to allow the air blast to puff through the slits in the collet and blows some of the chips and coolant off of the tool.

If your goal is to run CAT tooling in the BT spindle or vise versa. I think you are going to have way more work cut out for you and a bit more money than it's worth. Especially if $23 retention knobs are price sensitive to you. The only similarity between the BT and CAT is the taper angle, The retention fingers on the end of the draw bar are bound to be different. The spindle keys are going to be different. Tool fingers in the changer are going to be different etc. If you really want to do this conversion, it's probably easier to keep running the machine as is until the next bearing rebuild. Then find a complete spindle cartridge off a parts machine for rebuild. You should find plenty of low cost BT tooling on the used market. If the CAT tooling is such a great deal buy it and resell online for profit.
    Thanks,
    I have another thread going, seems as though there is a pull stud with 5/8"-11 thread that is the same except for the thread CooperJM is guiding me on it. Apparently he did it.
    Selling the CT40 tooling and buying BT isn't out of the question either....

Marty