The "what did you do today" thread... also known as the "yes I made an oops" thead

Thread: The "what did you do today" thread... also known as the "yes I made an oops" thead

Downloads
    Uploads

Default The "what did you do today" thread... also known as the "yes I made an oops" thead

I figured I'd make a just for fun/off topic thread (if it's allowed)....

So what did you do/break today...?

Well... I will start... I have been running my mill (97 Torq-cut 22) all day from about 10:00 am until the toolchanger started giving me trouble (invalid switch states when the toolchanger was out). That was about 2:30-ish. I decided it was time to stop and grab some lunch. after a couple hour lunch (pasta and the last 3/4 of Patriot Games). after fiddling with the tool changer and doing some internet search I figured it was the toolchanger bouncing a bit... thanks forhire. I pulled the cover and felt the tip of the "out" sensor and it wasn't crushed so I loosened the lock nut and threaded it in about 2/3's of a turn.

After a bit of testing, it seemed to be working better with no errors - Yeay!

Back to it... I have a run to finish. So I am plunking along 7m33s at a time. Of course my brother called and I talked to him for a bit... this was my fatal mistake... everything was going fine until, several parts in I hear a loud KACHUNK.... followed very rapidly by me slamming the e-stop.

After a quick search I find my 2.5" x 2.5" x 2.125" block of 6061-t6 sitting in the large pile chips at the bottom of the machine... I must have not tightened the vise enough... likely from being distracted by a phone call...

I pull out my glacern 3" face mill and it seems ok... I rotated one of the inserts just in case. Unfortunately, the little block that acts as an index on my BT40 spindle fell off. A closer inspection reveals that the head of the screw seems to have popped off. I will have to go to Ace hardware in the morning. If that is the only damage, I will be grateful.

So what did you do/break today?

Richard

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: The "what did you do today" thread... also known as the "yes I made an oops" thea

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia View Post
    I figured I'd make a just for fun/off topic thread (if it's allowed)....

So what did you do/break today...?

Well... I will start... I have been running my mill (97 Torq-cut 22) all day from about 10:00 am until the toolchanger started giving me trouble (invalid switch states when the toolchanger was out). That was about 2:30-ish. I decided it was time to stop and grab some lunch. after a couple hour lunch (pasta and the last 3/4 of Patriot Games). after fiddling with the tool changer and doing some internet search I figured it was the toolchanger bouncing a bit... thanks forhire. I pulled the cover and felt the tip of the "out" sensor and it wasn't crushed so I loosened the lock nut and threaded it in about 2/3's of a turn.

After a bit of testing, it seemed to be working better with no errors - Yeay!

Back to it... I have a run to finish. So I am plunking along 7m33s at a time. Of course my brother called and I talked to him for a bit... this was my fatal mistake... everything was going fine until, several parts in I hear a loud KACHUNK.... followed very rapidly by me slamming the e-stop.

After a quick search I find my 2.5" x 2.5" x 2.125" block of 6061-t6 sitting in the large pile chips at the bottom of the machine... I must have not tightened the vise enough... likely from being distracted by a phone call...

I pull out my glacern 3" face mill and it seems ok... I rotated one of the inserts just in case. Unfortunately, the little block that acts as an index on my BT40 spindle fell off. A closer inspection reveals that the head of the screw seems to have popped off. I will have to go to Ace hardware in the morning. If that is the only damage, I will be grateful.

So what did you do/break today?

Richard
    Richard,
    You've had it this long and that all you broke? You are to be commended....
    (Or is that all you are admitting to?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: The "what did you do today" thread... also known as the "yes I made an oops" thea

I pulled a Michael Bolton and put a decimal point in the wrong place. Apparently Z-4.350 is very much not the same as Z-.4350 and I have the freshly milled 123 block to prove it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is my box of other oops....

and yes... that is a brand new solid carbide corncob that never cut metal... there is probably $200 in that box.

Also... due to that mistake my spindle makes a clicking/ticking noise at higher speeds....

Richard

EDT: and that doesn't include the crushed tool setter.... lesson learned... dont blindly grasp for the dial wheel on a new to you mill... the rapid buttons are right near there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Duval View Post
    I pulled a Michael Bolton and put a decimal point in the wrong place. Apparently Z-4.350 is very much not the same as Z-.4350 and I have the freshly milled 123 block to prove it.
    Is that all? Just a 123 block? Ouch!

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Re: The "what did you do today" thread... also known as the "yes I made an oops" thea

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia View Post
    Here is my box of other oops....

and yes... that is a brand new solid carbide corncob that never cut metal... there is probably $200 in that box.

Also... due to that mistake my spindle makes a clicking/ticking noise at higher speeds....

Richard

EDT: and that doesn't include the crushed tool setter.... lesson learned... dont blindly grasp for the dial wheel on a new to you mill... the rapid buttons are right near there.
    At least you are taking care of them in a nicely padded box.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Escarcega View Post
    Is that all? Just a 123 block? Ouch!
    No...a carbide insert was also a casualty. Ohh the horror.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Escarcega View Post
    At least you are taking care of them in a nicely padded box.
    it was a box that I no longer needed.... it was for the toolsetter...

I found a guy who does spindle rebuilds in mesa.. seems like a nice guy and for something as simple as this (8k, grease), a high end rebuild shop is just not needed. he gave an estimate of $1500-$2500... everyone else started at $4000-$5000.

If I do that I think I want to do all my ball screw bearings while it's apart. they are all louder than your guys' videos after running all day.

I am just not sure I want to spend $4000+ on a rebuild. It would be a lot of work but would be a nice machine in the end. The other issue is I found that my garage floor is cracking... I think the builder might have cheaped out on the concrete or the thickness.

Richard