Torq Cut 22 homing in wrong direction and Limit switch workings

Thread: Torq Cut 22 homing in wrong direction and Limit switch workings

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Torq Cut 22 homing in wrong direction and Limit switch workings

Yesterday The former owner of my machine came over for some lessons and I noticed that the Z was homing in the wrong direction... The day before it homed the z different that I had ever seen it do, went almost to the table then up and the other axes finished correctly..

Today I was messing around cleaning up the limit switches on Z and X making sure they were free to move, they are. The machine started homing with the z going down, giving an over travel alarm then shutting off the drives. I'm able to start the drives and jog about 10 on the Z then the machine acts like it hits the limit switch.. t's about 8 inches away from it though.

I went to the maintenance page and the Z was showing -16 when it was at midpoint on the column. I jogged the Z down a few inches and then it read -19 inches. It's as if the Z does not know where it is, probably because it can't home. .

I just spent an hour going through the electrical cabinet tightening screws and reseating all cables and connections so at least that is out of the way... Fired it back up with no changes..

After reading the manuals I reset Parameter 38 to home in the reverse direction, which it now does. Problem is it goes all the way to the top and then gives an overtravel alarm and shuts down the drives.. Still able to restart the drives and jog off the switch.. I can see the top limit switch and the ramp that activates it. I see the plunger depressed and on the flat part of the ramp, quite a bit father than I would expect it to stop after depressing the plunger.

I reactivated the drives and backed Z down about 8 inches. I then told the control to home and the Z started moving up. I had a long stick and was able to depress the limit switch which did not stop the Z motor. I then tried the same thing on the X switch and it also did not stop the table movement.

Anyone have any idea what I should look at to at least home the machine again?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Torq Cut 22 homing in wrong direction and Limit switch workings

I broke out the wiring diagrams for the machine and found where the limit switches were terminated. Found that the Z switch has 24 volts on one side of the normally open circuit but nothing when I close the switch.. The X does return the 24 volts when the switch is closed so I'm going to take the Z switch apart to see if I can fix it.

Are these switches serviceable?

Still doesn't explain why the Z was homing in the wrong direction though....

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Torq Cut 22 homing in wrong direction and Limit switch workings

Progress!

Tonight I took off the switch and found it was stuck in the depressed position, on the inside of the housing...

This switch has two major parts. The housing has a spring loaded piston that is captured and can not escape the housing. The inside part is removable and is also spring loaded. As soon as I turn one of the screws holding it in the body I heard a click. I removed the switch and it felt great and when I hooked it up to the meter it performs flawlessly for about 60 cycles.. Reinstalled it in the body, making sure it was not too tight and the spring was letting the switch flex. tested out great so I reinstalled it.

Fired up the control and the first homing try sent the Z it the wrong direction!

Went into the parameters, reset 38 back to the reverse direction and the machine now homes correctly on all axis.

One small thing is bothering me. this should not have worked. When I test the continuity of the wires going to the switch I could only confirm one was intact from the switch to the control board. I could not get a tone when testing the second wire end to end. According to the wiring diagram these two wires went to the switch and switch only. With one wire not testing out I should have not gotten this thing to work, but it did.

The cable from the Z switch to the bob runs through a box that I have no idea how to easily access... The last two pictures show the box on the bottom left of the large electrical cabinet. I can see where three wires enter that area from the control cabinet but have no idea what is in there.. I'm wondering if there is another component inside that box that is breaking the continuity of the second wire...

Anyone know what that box is?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torq Cut 22 homing in wrong direction and Limit switch workings-20170807_211538-jpg   Torq Cut 22 homing in wrong direction and Limit switch workings-20170807_211916-jpg   Torq Cut 22 homing in wrong direction and Limit switch workings-20170807_212828-jpg   Torq Cut 22 homing in wrong direction and Limit switch workings-20170807_221125-jpg  

Torq Cut 22 homing in wrong direction and Limit switch workings-20170807_221116-jpg