Help with Anilam cpu power supply, old verses new question.

Thread: Help with Anilam cpu power supply, old verses new question.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help with Anilam cpu power supply, old verses new question.

The problem is that I can't see the portion of the screen on an 1100m Anilam, that is the F1 through F10 portion, it is blank. After talking to several people, it seems that the motherboard power supply is of insufficient power to power the cpu through to the screen, at least that is what I think, so I tested the leads from the power supply that goes to the motherboard and the 5 volt red lead is only 4.6 and the yellow 12volt lead is only 10.4volts. Now one anilam company wants 265.00 for an AT power supply and I can get one from Ebay for 30. My problem is that I was told that a higher wattage power supply could damage the Anilam motherboard or cards. The original Anilam power supply wattage is only 145 watts and the new AT power supply is 300 watts. The person advising me says that there are resistors installed in the original Anilam power supply to limit the surge when applying power to the motherboard. Now I realize that he would really like to sell me a power supply for 265.00, so does anyone have any info on installing a higher wattage AT power supply for the older motherboards? I am thinking that the cpu and boards will only use the amperage that they need, so a higher amperage rating shouldn't be a problem, but, I am worried about what he said about the initial surge. Any experience would be helpful, thanks, Bob.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with Anilam cpu power supply, old verses new question.

I pulled up a picture of the power supply off the net. Standard old AT power supply. Nothing special. Back in the AT power supply days most were 150 watts, if you had a lot of hard drives you might have had a 300 watt. I've swapped a lot of small power supplies for bigger. Generally the concern is that the power supply is big enough, never been concerned with it being too big. I'm calling bunk on the surge risk, it's not how regulated power supplies work, they provide what is drawn to the limit of their capacity, beyond that they over heat and release their smoke.

I don't recall who used the globe logo but it's a generic power supply.

Downloads
    Uploads

230 watt on Amazon for ~30, a little bigger is fine. Replaced a lot of them over the years, never been an issue. Check the Molex connectors on the control though, was pretty common to burn the pins after years of use.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with you, the circuit only draws what it needs, but you can see my concern, as these old boards, if they blow, cost upwards of 385.00, any one of them. Maybe some day, I will get brave enough to a later system, but for now, I am stuck with this old one. What I did, is I bought an older power supply from ebay and had the person check the voltage outputs, no load, and they were ok, but I also bought the newer 300 watt, so if the old one doesn't fix it, I will put in the newer one and I thank you guys for your help, really appreciate it. Bob.

Downloads
    Uploads

Bob, when the power supply died on my TC-3 I used a power supply from an old zenith pc I had laying around. Unfortunately the configuration of the cables were all wrong... so I swapped the board. It took about an hour but I was back up making chips the same day.
    New (to me) VMC - Page 11

Glad you have it sorted. Keeping these old machine running can be a challenge.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Forhire. I hope I don't have to revive my soldering skills, which weren't that good from the start. I have several options with the AT type power supply, so I should be OK. Surprisingly enough, there are many AT power supply's on the market with the correct plugs etc. pretty standard in it's day, so I think that I will be OK. I will let you know when I get the power supply's from Ebay, and if nothing works, believe me, you will be hearing from me. I would like a modern day pc based machine, but it is expensive and lots of work. I finished building a 4x4 servo based cnc router, so I know how much work it can be. Thanks, Bob.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, problem solved. I reloaded the Anilam program and it booted all of the way through, complete screens, and the problem was solved. I personally think that the weak power supply had something to do with corrupting the files, so with a new power supply and the reloading of the program, it is up and running. Bob. PS- thanks for all of your help. One other thing, the first time that I tried to load the program, I had formatted the floppy disc to fat 32, didn't work, came back and formatted to fat, and it fed into the machine fine. Bob.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machining fool View Post
    One other thing, the first time that I tried to load the program, I had formatted the floppy disc to fat 32, didn't work, came back and formatted to fat, and it fed into the machine fine. Bob.
    Dos 6.2 only supports FAT16. This limits your partitions size to 2 gigs also.

FAT32 was introduced with MS-DOS 7.1 under Windows 95 OSR2 in 1996.

Are you using floppies or a USB to floppy converter drive?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just ordered a floppy emulator for a usb drive. What should I look out for as far as setting up the emulator? Sounds like you know more about dos than I do. I can remember working with it many years ago, but I have for gotten all that I am supposed to know. Bob.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have another question. Should I limit the usb drive to be no more than 2GB? Bob.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machining fool View Post
    I have another question. Should I limit the usb drive to be no more than 2GB? Bob.
    If you end up with larger usb drives you will still be limited to 2 gigs once formatted. I'd just pick up smaller ones as they will be dirt cheap.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you very much, you have been very helpful, Bob.