Torq Cut 22 Hard Drive question.

Thread: Torq Cut 22 Hard Drive question.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Torq Cut 22 Hard Drive question.

Sold my Boss 5 and moved on to a Torq Cut 22 mainly because I need a full enclosure and tool changer.

Moved a working 1996 machine from a shop that had it since 2001 so I have a good history on the machine and it's repairs. Right now everything is working with the exception of the A axis drive card, which I think may be down because of capacitors.

This machine has had a motherboard replacement, they can't remember the exact reason but it may have been for a memory upgrade.

The old board was a standard motherboard that might have been installed in a regular desktop back in the day. The new motherboard has a back plane board with the all on one board inserted.

The battery was dead on the motherboard and has been for a long time. The computer boots up and then you have to load the defaults to continue. It works that way and they have used that procedure for a long time.

The Battery is just a standard 2032 button battery and has a holder like a regular motherboard so that is an easy fix.

I looked around for the hard drive and could not find a standard IDEA or Dom drive... Last night I pulled the mother board and found it had a 512 mb flash drive card holder right on the motherboard! Never seen that before .

I really want to back up that flash drive and I'm asking for help doing so..

It is as simple as buying a USB flash card reader and a new flash card, using another computer to copy everything to the new card and plugging it in?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Torq Cut 22 Hard Drive question.

Here is a picture of the motherboard.

The Bios is reporting that I have 126 megs of memory and 512 of hard disk... Much more than I expected from this old of a machine

And it looks like four of the caps on the left side of the board need replacing soon.

Just now looking at the cap picture I noticed an open plug that looks like it could be for another hard drive ribbon cable. I wonder if I could insert another hard drive there also?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torq Cut 22 Hard Drive question.-20170804_015030_resized-jpg   Torq Cut 22 Hard Drive question.-20170804_014701_resized-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Watkins View Post
    I looked around for the hard drive and could not find a standard IDEA or Dom drive... Last night I pulled the mother board and found it had a 512 mb flash drive card holder right on the motherboard! Never seen that before .

I really want to back up that flash drive and I'm asking for help doing so..

It is as simple as buying a USB flash card reader and a new flash card, using another computer to copy everything to the new card and plugging it in?
    My machine uses a DOM. My SBC also has a compact flash slot which I populated with a 2 gig card. I use the compact flash to store all my cut files. If your SBC has USB ports then I'd definitely recommend making an image of your hard drive. I created a bootable Clonezilla usb drive and imaged the drive to it. Alternatively you could pull the drive and clone it on another PC.

Also, I pulled a USB cable up through my arm and put a USB port on the operator control so I can load files from USB thumb drive. No more floppies.

The only issue with USB in DOS is that it isn't hot swap-able. You have to reboot anytime you swap thumb drives. I have since run Ethernet to my machine and pull the files off my FTP server. Most of these details are on my longish thread over on WW.
    New (to me) VMC

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a picture of the motherboard.

The Bios is reporting that I have 126 megs of memory and 512 of hard disk... Much more than I expected from this old of a machine

And it looks like four of the caps on the left side of the board need replacing soon.

Just now looking at the cap picture I noticed an open plug that looks like it could be for another hard drive ribbon cable. I wonder if I could insert another hard drive there also?
    I was going to mention the 4 caps looked like they were a bit swelled in the photo. That will teach me for looking at the photos before reading.

Each IDE channel should support a master and slave hard drive. Most boards have two IDE channels, supporting a total of 4 drives.

I have a Centroid based machine that runs off compact flash rather than a hard drive. Kinda nice, when I perform an upgrade I simply image the compact flash to a new one and upgrade the new card. I then slip the old compact flash into schematic tray in the cabinet in case I ever need to revert. Compact flash is dirt cheap. Not super fast, but most of the stuff your doing is in memory anyway. If I recall I ordered an "industrial" compact flash card that was suppose to have longer life and was faster.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    My machine uses a DOM. My SBC also has a compact flash slot which I populated with a 2 gig card. I use the compact flash to store all my cut files. If your SBC has USB ports then I'd definitely recommend making an image of your hard drive. I created a bootable Clonezilla usb drive and imaged the drive to it. Alternatively you could pull the drive and clone it on another PC.

Also, I pulled a USB cable up through my arm and put a USB port on the operator control so I can load files from USB thumb drive. No more floppies.

The only issue with USB in DOS is that it isn't hot swap-able. You have to reboot anytime you swap thumb drives. I have since run Ethernet to my machine and pull the files off my FTP server. Most of these details are on my longish thread over on WW.
    New (to me) VMC
    Hi,

I 've been reading your thread in fact I'm reading it for the second time

I was looking for a DOM but so far I've not found one. In your experiences where would one be hiding? Could this machine be running entirely from the compact flash?

I think I'm going to change out the floppy drive to one of the USB units that fit into that space. Found one on Amazon that comes with a small thumb drive, I ordered it last night and it arrived this afternoon!

Downloads
    Uploads

The DOM would be in the IDE plug.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

DOM

Downloads
    Uploads

Nothing there for me... I guess they are using the flash as the hard drive.

I have found a few flash cards that look exactly like the one on the board, from the front. I think when I replace the caps I'll unseat that card and see what is written on the back.. I might even have an old machine around here that can read the card

Still trying to locate some caps for my A drive card.. One is broken free of the board and I thought if I have to take it off I might as well replace those too.. Hopefully that is the reason the a card will not work...

While I have a 20 HP RPC, runs my metal planer, reading all the warnings about running the bridgeport off of a RPC led me to running it on single phase,,, Got the spindle working tonight

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine is running on single phase.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I 've been reading your thread in fact I'm reading it for the second time

I was looking for a DOM but so far I've not found one. In your experiences where would one be hiding? Could this machine be running entirely from the compact flash?

I think I'm going to change out the floppy drive to one of the USB units that fit into that space. Found one on Amazon that comes with a small thumb drive, I ordered it last night and it arrived this afternoon!
    I suspect you are running off the compact flash. I'd be interest to find out how you like the USB interface. I looked at those originally but decide I didn't like the partitioning scheme. It makes your flash appear like a bunch of floppies.

I have three phase but my understanding is that these can be run off single phase with very few changes. You might be wise to get the details from cooperjm.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    I have three phase but my understanding is that these can be run off single phase with very few changes. You might be wise to get the details from cooperjm.
    I found the information on this forum It's a little scattered out and you have to read through a lot of post to find the correct answers as people made mistakes and latter corrected them... There is not just one BIG RED POST that has a simple explanation that everyone agrees works. Or at least that I trusted enough to try without read all of them..... Maybe a sticky post would be helpful?

In the end it was, at least for my machine, a simple matter of installing one jumper and taping up a few disconnected wires..

Downloads
    Uploads

Same here, I could have one swapped over in no time now. mine was originally 208V machine so I had to change the trails on the transformers also.

I have pictures if you need them. OP, do you have the manuals?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I have the Manuals. Just need to study them more....

I have a question on homing the machine... Today I turned it on, started the drives and then homed it. The Z started going towards the table, stopped about 4 inches off of it and then went up and stopped fully raised. The Y and then the x homed normally. This is the first time I saw the Z go down instead of up when homing. Is this normal for your machine?

Also had a Z over travel alarm this afternoon. Don't remember why it happened just that it did and killed the drives and would not let me restart them until I rebooted. After a reboot it started normally and I was able to jog of the limits . We are cleaning the motor area and I'm wondering if my helper cleaned the limit switches too well.... Are they optical or proximity and would a coating of oil affect them?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I've had good luck with the IPCAS 1.40i software. The Floppy/USB Emulator drives on Ebay seem to be mostly bundled with Chinese language software, but the hardware works great on my TorqCut.