Need Help! Replacing bridgeport DX 32 drive capacitors

Thread: Replacing bridgeport DX 32 drive capacitors

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Replacing bridgeport DX 32 drive capacitors

Working on bringing a Torq Cut 22 back to full operation by troubleshooting and repairing the A axis drive card. The card was originally driving the X axis when it had problems and the A drive card was moved to X. That solved the X's problems and confirmed the card was bad.

I just bought the machine, which is in otherwise good operating condition (paint sucks)and while I'm setting it up I thought I would take a look at the board. One of the two capacitors on the board has broken loose from the traces and is definitely a problem. The traces look to be in acceptable shape and before I just check it with a meter and then reinstall, I thought it would probably be best just to replace all the caps on all the drive boards.. 1996 was a long time ago ( for a machine, not me )

Here is a picture I took of the cap. My google fu has failed me and I can't find a same size cap in my searching...

Can anyone suggest a replacement and source? I have attached a picture of the caps to this post...

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacing bridgeport DX 32 drive capacitors-caps1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Replacing bridgeport DX 32 drive capacitors

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Watkins View Post
    Here is a picture I took of the cap. My google fu has failed me and I can't find a same size cap in my searching...

Can anyone suggest a replacement and source? I have attached a picture of the caps to this post...
    It's a Sprague 673D series. According to the Vishay/Sprague replacement table: https://www.vishay.com/docs/28398/al...placements.pdf The no longer offer a substitution.
    MATURED SERIES DESIGN REMARK REPLACEMENT SERIES
    673D / U673D Radial General purpose, 105 °C No replacement

Based on the replacement table it appears to be a general purpose aluminum electrolytic capacitor. I would plug in the important values into Digikey's capacitor search and find something comparable. It is 180uF, 105 degrees, 250V. You should also measure the diameter, height, and lead spacing, so you can find one with similar physical characteristic. Being general purpose I suspect +/- 20% on the tolerance.

Digikey had about 50 that meet the basic specs but I do not know the physical size the the sprague.

The UCC were Sprague's low esr series... I think.

Last edited by forhire; 08-02-2017 at 06:47 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help... Should be able to find something now!

Downloads
    Uploads

I went ahead and removed the loose cap and tested it... Rated at 180, tested 197...

I'm going to have to repair the pads and one trace but it's not too bad...

I did find one area of the board where a component had been removed and the solder left sloppily on the board. I pulled the x and y boards that are working and found that the component looks to have never been installed on those boards, holes looked factory soldered. Glad I don't have to track down something else!

Downloads
    Uploads

I repaired the pad and reinstalled the old cap. Put the card back in and so far it seems to be working fine... I did find a part number for a cap that is rated the same and almost the same physical size, just a little smaller. For now I'm just going to leave it alone until it acts up again...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Watkins View Post
    I repaired the pad and reinstalled the old cap. Put the card back in and so far it seems to be working fine... I did find a part number for a cap that is rated the same and almost the same physical size, just a little smaller. For now I'm just going to leave it alone until it acts up again...
    Congratulations!

Downloads
    Uploads

For anyone looking for these caps here are the ones I'm ordering from mouser... EKXJ251ELL181MM25S United Chemi-Con | Mouser