Uhh oh.... New Motherboard maybe?

Thread: Uhh oh.... New Motherboard maybe?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Uhh oh.... New Motherboard maybe?

It's been a while. I wanted to run some parts off so I cleaned up my machine and re-loaded the coolant tank and went to start her up... (Torqcut 22 1997)

She came up just fine, homed and everything I jogged the table around a bit and went to jog the head.

Then oddness started happening.... while I was looking away it seemed like the interface re-booted (if not the whole machine) and when it came back up I could not enable the drives. I could hit "7" to my hearts content but the "drives off" message wouldn't clear. No error messages or anything.

I did a full power down and when the interface started booting it bounced back to the c: prompt and said "floating point error:maths M6101"... or something close to that.....

Am I looking for a new motherboard?

I ordered an AT power supply off amazon thinking that it might be some fluctuation in the logic voltage. I pulled out the 2 spare mother boards that I salvaged when my brother and I scrapped a bunch of old computers only to find that they are too big (atx vs microatx)... Grrrrrr.

What do you guys think? I am going to give EMI a call in the morning but I thought I'd check here first.

Richard

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Uhh oh.... New Motherboard maybe?

Does your machine use an AT style motherboard or an ISA SBC? My TC-3 uses an SBC. I have a spare around someplace. If you use a motherboard, post up the model number or dimensions and I'll see if I have something.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    Does your machine use an AT style motherboard or an ISA SBC? My TC-3 uses an SBC. I have a spare around someplace. If you use a motherboard, post up the model number or dimensions and I'll see if I have something.

Mine uses the Baby AT style motherboard. I think a MicroATX board will fit too. Amazon says the new power supply should be here today.

Richard

EDT: EMI seems to think that it's a BDMC or a Motherboard

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia View Post
    EDT: EMI seems to think that it's a BDMC or a Motherboard
    A mother board is a lot cheaper. I'll look around and see if I have something small with ISA slots. I have a spare BDMC if it comes to that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well... I just finished putting in the new power supply and it seems to be working ok. I did a couple full power cycles and homing without error.... well except for the first time but that was just because I forgot to hook up the air.

As soon as it cools off a bit I will pull out the band saw and start cutting aluminum bar for a parts run that my customer is waiting for. I think it's going to be a hot sticky weekend (it's monsoon season here).

richard

Downloads
    Uploads

Well... I just finished putting in the new power supply and it seems to be working ok.
    Yeah a simple fix. The last power supply I put in my was a Frankenstein. Lots of soldering but I couldn't afford the down time either.

When it's hot out my machine tends to lockup on the jog screen at random. Every experienced this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's an interesting quirk I've had happen, but so far only twice since I bought the machine 2 years ago.

A couple days ago I turned my machine on (hadn't run in a few weeks). Everything booted up fine, homed the machine fine. No issues. Until I loaded a program and tried to verify with the built in graphics screen. Kept getting an overtravel alarm. Turns out all my work offsets and tool offsets had been reset to machine defaults, all on thier own. For quite some time I've had a G54 all setup for my vise and a G59 preset for an indexer, but had to "find" all of them again.

But this is only the 2nd time I remember it happening.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nlh View Post
    Here's an interesting quirk I've had happen, but so far only twice since I bought the machine 2 years ago.

A couple days ago I turned my machine on (hadn't run in a few weeks). Everything booted up fine, homed the machine fine. No issues. Until I loaded a program and tried to verify with the built in graphics screen. Kept getting an overtravel alarm. Turns out all my work offsets and tool offsets had been reset to machine defaults, all on thier own. For quite some time I've had a G54 all setup for my vise and a G59 preset for an indexer, but had to "find" all of them again.

But this is only the 2nd time I remember it happening.
    You should write the offsets to a file. I suspect the BMDC must have lost the settings over the extended off time. I know it reads it's own settings from a file on bootup it that's a clue.

Downloads
    Uploads

I started running off parts and it was working good most of the morning. towards the end I got a lost communication with BMDC and a toolchanger not safe. I think it had more to do with the 95+ degree heat and the 50-60% humidity. than any real malfunction. When I shut it down the cabinet felt rather warm.

Richard

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a vortex cold gun... I might plumb mine in for use in summer. When I was researching cabinet cooling I happened across this video.

Downloads
    Uploads

Let me know how well it works if you plumb it in.

Richard

Downloads
    Uploads

Let me know how well it works if you plumb it in.
    I bought a Hoffman VA251604X Vortex A/C Enclosure Cooler Nema 4X 2500 BTU off ebay. The seller has 10 more at $250 each. I'm going to dump the cold air right into the CIB to see if it will resolve my occasional computer lockup when on the jog screen. Not sure it it will help or now. It's only crashed while running a program once. I'll definitely keep you posted.
    Hoffman VA251604X Vortex A/C Enclosure Cooler Nema 4X 2500 BTU | eBay

Downloads
    Uploads

Alright. I installed the cooler today. I didn't take long. Used a 1.5" knockout in the top of the cabinet and it was in. The muffler works magic. Without it I could hear it outside... with it installed it was a faint whisper, like the spindle air. I'm going to have to see how the mufflers are made so I can make one for my portable cold gun. It definitely works. It was 90+ in the shop and even after only 10 minutes the temperature was 80 in the cabinet. When I opened the cabinet door it was like opening the refrigerator, I could feel the cold air flowing out. Now for the bad... in my quick ebay purchase... I looked at the cooling btu and such but didn't look at the CFM requirements. The 2500 requires 35 CFM! My poor compressor could barely keep up and my air dryer was definitely not keeping up. I will plumb in my second air compressor tomorrow and see how it does. Maybe I should have bought the smaller one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    Alright. I installed the cooler today. I didn't take long. Used a 1.5" knockout in the top of the cabinet and it was in. The muffler works magic. Without it I could hear it outside... with it installed it was a faint whisper, like the spindle air. I'm going to have to see how the mufflers are made so I can make one for my portable cold gun. It definitely works. It was 90+ in the shop and even after only 10 minutes the temperature was 80 in the cabinet. When I opened the cabinet door it was like opening the refrigerator, I could feel the cold air flowing out. Now for the bad... in my quick ebay purchase... I looked at the cooling btu and such but didn't look at the CFM requirements. The 2500 requires 35 CFM! My poor compressor could barely keep up and my air dryer was definitely not keeping up. I will plumb in my second air compressor tomorrow and see how it does. Maybe I should have bought the smaller one.
    I saw that... my 11cfm compressor would never keep up, even with a 60g tank. the smallest one was 400 btuh at 8cfm and I am not sure that it is enough cooling to be worth it.

Richard

Downloads
    Uploads

I saw that... my 11cfm compressor would never keep up, even with a 60g tank. the smallest one was 400 btuh at 8cfm and I am not sure that it is enough cooling to be worth it.
    I guess I shouldn't buy stuff when I'm on holiday.

I hooked up my second compressor and they would cycle on and off but I didn't have the pressure switches adjusted the same so one ran harder than the other. I ran for a bit today but ultimately it's simply way too inefficient. I could likely air condition the whole shop for less what this unit consumes.