Another bridgeport retrofit, need advise - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another bridgeport retrofit, need advise

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Another bridgeport retrofit, need advise

It looks like the galil controller will work with Cam Soft controller software?? Any ideas on what most consumers are using or what other options are available? Cam soft lists a hardware and software conversion price of $2850. Sounds like if the software is available separately it would be reasonably priced.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice setup.

You can get panel switches in just about any configuration. I would use a 2 position, maintained operator. Add as many contact blocks as needed.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...inated/GCX1300

How you configure everything is dependant on your hardware and software. Depends on how many unused I/O points your controller hardware has. I don't think you need ModBus to do this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sohcpwr View Post
    It looks like the galil controller will work with Cam Soft controller software?? Any ideas on what most consumers are using or what other options are available? Cam soft lists a hardware and software conversion price of $2850. Sounds like if the software is available separately it would be reasonably priced.
    Looks like it. Is that $2850 price for a 5 axis?

I don't know what others are using.

I don't push my software because I'm mostly here to provide information rather than try to sell something. On the other hand, I just give my software away for free, at least for now. It's only installed on 5 machines, and 3 of those are in my shop. I'm still trying to get some feedback from users to figure out how to better meet a machinists needs. You are welcome to try it out if you like.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes it was for a 5 axis. That's a very generous offer of you, if I go with the galil controller I will take you up on that. At least for a little bit while I save up for something else. No offense obviously, I'm guessing your software doesn't have all the crazy options of industrial controllers like probing?

About that switch, I'm trying to image how that will allow selection of 2 different inputs to a common out. Or said differently, one set of 5 wires is off when the other set is connected to the output contacts. If one side had 8 contacts and the other had 4 for output, it would connect all 8 wires to output when the switch is on. Thinking about that gave me an idea... I know some contacts can be purchased with both NO and NC pairs. If the panel was wired to NC and the spindle output from BOB or controller to NO, that would accomplish what I'm tryin to do?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Looks like it. Is that $2850 price for a 5 axis?

I don't know what others are using.

I don't push my software because I'm mostly here to provide information rather than try to sell something. On the other hand, I just give my software away for free, at least for now. It's only installed on 5 machines, and 3 of those are in my shop. I'm still trying to get some feedback from users to figure out how to better meet a machinists needs. You are welcome to try it out if you like.
    Hey Jim, I'd like to try your software.. How do I get it.
    I'm not looking forward to dismantling my little router, and I'd love to replace the last MACH install I have....

Automated Machinery Designer - PCNC1100 Series III upgrade, Graziano Sag 12 Lathe
    Solidworks 2016 (SW Certified), HSMWorks

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes it was for a 5 axis. That's a very generous offer of you, if I go with the galil controller I will take you up on that. At least for a little bit while I save up for something else. No offense obviously, I'm guessing your software doesn't have all the crazy options of industrial controllers like probing?
    It does accept probe inputs, but the full auto probe routine is not implemented yet. But if somebody wanted, it wouldn't take long to finish the probing module. I have a probe sitting on the bench and the input connector on the machine, I just need to write some code to finish the module. It has been my intention to add the full reverse engineering probing function where you define a 3 axis envelope, press Go, and come back a few hours later and have a detailed point cloud of a part.

Overall, my software has pretty much all of the functions of any full featured CNC software. MDI, MPG, vision system, on screen program editing, a ''teach'' function with G-code generator, tool changer, tool length comp, most of the standard G-code set, most of the standard M-code set, does not require a special post processor.

About that switch, I'm trying to image how that will allow selection of 2 different inputs to a common out. Or said differently, one set of 5 wires is off when the other set is connected to the output contacts. If one side had 8 contacts and the other had 4 for output, it would connect all 8 wires to output when the switch is on. Thinking about that gave me an idea... I know some contacts can be purchased with both NO and NC pairs. If the panel was wired to NC and the spindle output from BOB or controller to NO, that would accomplish what I'm tryin to do?
    Sorry, I'm a bit confused by your explanation. The switch I linked to above allows installation of additional contact blocks in any combination of NO or NC, up to 4 deep I think, for a total of 8 contacts. There is probably an easier way to do what you want. If you can supply a rough sketch, I may be able to offer a plan. If you are wanting to run spindle and coolant (and other functions) under G-code or manual control, that is already implemented in my program. Only requires 1 input on the controller.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPlaneDoc View Post
    Hey Jim, I'd like to try your software.. How do I get it.
    I'm not looking forward to dismantling my little router, and I'd love to replace the last MACH install I have....
    PM sent

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, the generation of part dimensions on the machine would be awesome. I got to play with a Faro arm at my old job and was super giddy thinking about all the cool stuff I could do with one at home.

Your software sounds legit, I'll have to get moving before you start charging $500 for it! Being somewhat of a cnc novice, I also would really like conversational programs for bolt hole patterns, pocket milling, and other basic stuff. Maybe I'm being too picky

After work I'll drawl up a schematic of what I mean by switching the spindle control input. A mechanical switch on the box is preferred so I can use the machine without powering up the cnc side at all. The switches in that box I posted the pic of have both NO and NC contacts on them. They are recycled Allen Bradley units but I'm sure cheaper import ones have this available as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, the generation of part dimensions on the machine would be awesome. I got to play with a Faro arm at my old job and was super giddy thinking about all the cool stuff I could do with one at home.
    I'll work on that module after I finish up the job I have in the shop right now.

Your software sounds legit, I'll have to get moving before you start charging $500 for it! Being somewhat of a cnc novice, I also would really like conversational programs for bolt hole patterns, pocket milling, and other basic stuff. Maybe I'm being too picky
    I do have a circular pocket/spiral generator function built in, but have only tested it, never actually used it. I have AutoCad and the CAM program on the machines so I find it faster just to draw what I want, run it through the CAM and spit out the G-code that way. For simple pockets, facing, and hole patterns it just takes a few minutes to do it that way. Faster the the conversational input method IMHO. And because of the way the software works, you can actually work in another program (or even surf the net) while a part is running. Try that with any other CNC software.

After work I'll drawl up a schematic of what I mean by switching the spindle control input. A mechanical switch on the box is preferred so I can use the machine without powering up the cnc side at all. The switches in that box I posted the pic of have both NO and NC contacts on them. They are recycled Allen Bradley units but I'm sure cheaper import ones have this available as well.
    Regarding Allen Bradley, we have a saying in the industry: '' You can buy better, but you can't pay more''

Automation Direct is my prefered vendor for most hardware.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Regarding Allen Bradley, we have a saying in the industry: '' You can buy better, but you can't pay more''

Heard that! Thats why I threw the recycled in there, I got most of the hardware from some equipment my old job decommissioned. Funny story about that, I had to get 1 more switch and went to the local electrical supply house where the guys behind the counter try to make all the customers that arent electricians feel like idiots. I tell the turd im looking for a 2 pole 2 position switch. "maintained?" he says in the grumbly ass attitude filled voice. I didnt know what that meant so he looks to the guys left and right of him and starts this sarcastic laugh with all of em. Eventually we figure it out and he tells me its $285, so I kept asking him if it was a regular switch not one with programmed relays or something in it. Cause I just couldnt even believe a switch cost that much, he then tells me "motor control guy, that **** 'aint cheap." I know that was prob the highlight of their day

So don't be like him and knock me for my lack of electrical schematic skills. I def dont know all the correct symbols or if this is even a workable configuration. Its just what was in my head how I thought it would work:

Another bridgeport retrofit, need advise-img_0973-jpg

Been looking at a bunch of Galil controllers when I get a few minutes here and there. Which board do you have? Its hard for me to find documentation on some of the used ones on ebay. They seem to be older models or something. I would really like an Ethernet one cause I want to use my laptop initially. Do all of them have encoder input?

Regarding your software, I guess its really just bolt circle pattern that I use all the time. You cant tell me its faster to drawl it in cad and program the toolpath in cam than just entering 8 on 6.5" or whatever right? Maybe for the pros, Im a total newb. Might have to make a persuasive donation

Downloads
    Uploads

Now you see why I buy from Automation Direct, that switch is about $10, and it's high quality.

To simplify things a bit why not use a couple of relays. Then you can just use a single contact block on the switch. I have a drawing for exactly this application around here somewhere, I'll have to look to see how I did it. You drawing is not too bad, I can read it. When you get to that point, I'll help you sort it all out.

I have 4 axis DMC-1846 PCI cards in my mill and router. In the Shizuoka we installed a 8 axis DMC-4080 ethernet controller. Picked that one up off of Ebay for $900, maybe I should say we stole it. You can buy a new 5 axis DMC-2153, with opto isolated I/O for $1685. I'll take a look at Ebay and maybe I can make a recommendation. You really have to watch what you buy, some of the stuff on Ebay is ancient.

All of the Galil cards have dual encoder inputs for all axes.

I'll have to look into a bolt circle routine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What do you think of this board? GALIL MOTION CONTROL DMC-1040 REV. C DMC1040

I also just realized looking at that drawling, I'm showing spindle output from the motion controller. Does galil support the modified signal to run a vfd? Or would I still need a breakout board that has that built in?

Speaking of, what are you using to connect everything to the galil? Maybe a pic of your cabinet would help figure things out without so many questions.

Downloads
    Uploads

That Galil board would work if you have a old 486 computer with an ISA bus running on DOS. That is about a 1990 or earlier board. The boards you want to look at are 18x0, 18x2, 18x6, 22x0, 21x3, 40x0, 41x3, where x = the number of axes.

You can make the spindle VFD an axis and run it from the Galil board. The Galil will supply the 0 to 10 volt signal to control the spindle speed. If you have a variable speed head on your mill, you can set the VFD at 60Hz and then control the spindle speed by running the crank with a stepper motor. But this is a bit more complex system, I'm running the Shizuoka spindle this way.

Here is a picture of my mill cabinet, the green Phoenix Contact MD100 connection block is the main connection point (center). It is connected to the Galil card with a 100 pin cable. The row of white/red things above it are opto-coupled relays to isolate the Galil board from the world, and above that on the top is a 16 point I/O rack for future expansion if needed. This picture was taken prior to adding the Z and 4th axis. There is a lot more stuff in the panel now.

Another bridgeport retrofit, need advise-img_0103-jpg

Here is a picture of the Shizuoka controller cabinet. On the left is the Galil 4080, on the right are the breakout boards for the cables. We are currently using 6 of the 8 axes on this machine.

Another bridgeport retrofit, need advise-img_0208-jpg

and a better view of the breakouts. We are using about 60 I/O points, in addition to the normal axis connections on this machine. It has a lot of stuff to connect to.

Another bridgeport retrofit, need advise-img_0203-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jim, I sent you a PM with a few more questions

I found this too on ebay, I wanted to avoid the PCI style boards and spending this much on just the controller but it sounds like a good deal. Might even be able to knock off a few more bucks with the best offer: GALIL MOTION CONTROL DMC-1886 PCI 8-axis Accelera REV E | eBay

Starting to think about motor selection again now that I'm pretty close to selecting a motion controller. Can anyone comment on what operating a machine manually is like with stepper motors? Are you going to feel the detents like an audio knob everytime I crank the handles manually? That would probably bother me if it is real noticeable

Downloads
    Uploads

The deal is OK. But it's missing the cable/connector for the 5 - 8 axis connector. The 5 - 8 axis cards have two 100 pin connectors.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just found this too about the power for the DMC 2183:

"Note:The AMP-205x0 and DMC-21x3-DC24 or -DC48
    are configured to accept their operating voltages
    from a single DC supply. If you want to operate the
    AMP and DMC from two separate supplies, you must
    remove J98 (10-pin header) on the DMC-21x3 controller.Galil
    will remove this header upon request if
    you specify “-no J98”on your DMC-21x3 order."

Downloads
    Uploads

I just found this too about the power for the DMC 2183:

"Note:The AMP-205x0 and DMC-21x3-DC24 or -DC48
    are configured to accept their operating voltages
    from a single DC supply. If you want to operate the
    AMP and DMC from two separate supplies, you must
    remove J98 (10-pin header) on the DMC-21x3 controller.Galil
    will remove this header upon request if
    you specify “-no J98”on your DMC-21x3 order."
    OK that makes sense. I have never worked with the 2183 boards so I need to get up to speed on them.

Downloads
    Uploads

I was playing around this morning and came up with this, just showing the layout, not actually working yet

What am I missing here?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another bridgeport retrofit, need advise-frm_boltcirc-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well that was quick! I wouldn't say your missing anything... Again I'm pretty new to G code but isn't there is one for deep hole drilling where it will retract all the way out? Maybe that's what your thinkin of?

Downloads
    Uploads

G73 only retracts a small amount to break chips, rather than clearing the hole

G81 just drills through

G83 retracts out of the hole to clear chips, then goes in and makes another peck depth move.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast