Newbie bridgeport boss 5 retrofit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bridgeport boss 5 retrofit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default bridgeport boss 5 retrofit

hi i recently picked up a series 1 boss 5 bridgeport mill. the price was right and it came with quite a bit of tooling. the mill was in use until august of 2016 when the previous owner passed away. i was told it had only been used to cut aluminum. i have several manual mills but this is the first cnc. im hoping to bring this machine up to a useable state with the modern software. this will be for hobby use and a learning tool. i know a little about electronics but definitely not enough at this point to dive into this thing. ive been reading everything i can about retrofits on these machines and it seems everyone does it a little different. the plug and play retrofit kits are way out of my price range. any advise would be great or better yet someone in the sacramento area willing to help with wiring and setup would be fantastic.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bridgeport boss 5 retrofit-imag4767-jpg   bridgeport boss 5 retrofit-00i0i_hkn7rrljzbx_1200x900-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: bridgeport boss 5 retrofit

As you say there are a lot of different ideas for retrofits. Those are nice machines, but from what I have heard the control system sucks. Part of how you approach this depends on your budget. Your options range from using the existing steppers and drives, to a full blown installation with new AC servos. Realistically you probably want something in between. The good news is that I see a stack of manuals sitting on the knee, that may be helpful. There are existing parts in the electrical cabinet and the operator panel that can be reused in the retrofit.

I would take a hard look at ClearPath motors. 750 Watt, NEMA 34 would be a good choice. Mach3/4 would be a good control software. There are other options also. Before you get too far into this, you need to decide what you want to spend on this project. That will pretty much dictate how you approach it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would also look at Centroid for control upgrade. They have a new step/direction control board coming out for a very reasonable price. I like that the motion control is done using the control board, no relying on Windows for actual machine movement. They're software looks to very capable.

I am doing the unthinkable and retrofitting my Bridgeport Series 1. I will be using DMM Dyn4 AC servos in conjunction with a Centroid Acorn board. You can see more info at: CENTROID CNC controls,CNC Milling Machines,CNC Lathes,CNC Routers,5 Axis CNC Cylinder Head Porting Machines,CNC Retrofits. Digitizing, Automatic Tool Changers, Probes, CNC Rotary Tables, Conversational Programming, Auto Tool Measurement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ok im looking to spend anywhere from $700-$1500 depending on what i find. saving for a wedding so funds are tight this year.

Downloads
    Uploads

Given your budget, I think the best way is to see if the wheels will turn as is. If you can make the axis motors work as they are, then should be able to add an ethernet controller and Mach3. The total cost should be <$500. That will get you going for now, and then after the wedding you can add more modern motors and drives.

I'm not exactly sure how to connect the ethernet board to the existing drives, but I'm sure there is somebody here that can help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MillNut View Post
    I would also look at Centroid for control upgrade. They have a new step/direction control board coming out for a very reasonable price. I like that the motion control is done using the control board, no relying on Windows for actual machine movement. They're software looks to very capable.

I am doing the unthinkable and retrofitting my Bridgeport Series 1. I will be using DMM Dyn4 AC servos in conjunction with a Centroid Acorn board. You can see more info at: CENTROID CNC controls,CNC Milling Machines,CNC Lathes,CNC Routers,5 Axis CNC Cylinder Head Porting Machines,CNC Retrofits. Digitizing, Automatic Tool Changers, Probes, CNC Rotary Tables, Conversational Programming, Auto Tool Measurement.

You are on the right track DMM servo system is the best choice

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    As you say there are a lot of different ideas for retrofits. Those are nice machines, but from what I have heard the control system sucks. Part of how you approach this depends on your budget. Your options range from using the existing steppers and drives, to a full blown installation with new AC servos. Realistically you probably want something in between. The good news is that I see a stack of manuals sitting on the knee, that may be helpful. There are existing parts in the electrical cabinet and the operator panel that can be reused in the retrofit.

I would take a hard look at ClearPath motors. 750 Watt, NEMA 34 would be a good choice. Mach3/4 would be a good control software. There are other options also. Before you get too far into this, you need to decide what you want to spend on this project. That will pretty much dictate how you approach it.
    ClearPath is a bad choice of servo for a machine like this they are expensive and have low resolution Encoders, just don't compare to Dmm servo system

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

The only drawback of the new Centroid controller is it does not have encoder feed back. However, comparing the capabilities and price of Leadshine 3phase steppers and DMM Dyn4 servos you can have servo performance for about the same price as the steppers.

If my budget allows I will step up from Acorn to the Oak board and gain full servo control. Once you price Acorn at $265 + $499 for Ultimate CNC and $100 for 1 hour of support I am halfway to an Oak board. Acorn looks attractive but for the work I want to do adding the encoder feed back may be worth the extra investment.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    ClearPath is a bad choice of servo for a machine like this they are expensive and have low resolution Encoders, just don't compare to Dmm servo system
    I just looked at the specs on the DMM servos, not bad I will be seriously looking at those for my next projects.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i see a lot of people running the original stepper motors. i have also herd that switching to servo is the way to go but isn't that a costly upgrade? here's a little more info on this machine. when i bought it i took it to my work where we have 3 phase power. we hooked it up and it did work. i was able to jog through all axis and run the spindle. i did get it to run some kind of program but i'm not sure how i got it to that point. the guy at the shop where i bought it said it would run for a bit and then lock up. there are also detailed notes inside the control box stating every repair made with part #s and dates. it seems to be fairly well kept. he had a computer hooked up to it but unfortunately it had been thrown out before i had arrived. the business was closing and they were in a hurry to get stuff cleaned out. this computer was hooked up through this port. (see pic) i have since relocated the mill to my garage at home where i only have single phase power. this brings up a question. now should i buy a phase converter? or just get a VFD to run the spindle with the new controls? i also have a laptop with the mach 3 demo and a cheap breakout board.

bridgeport boss 5 retrofit-imag4852-jpgbridgeport boss 5 retrofit-imag4851-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

That your steppers work is a good thing. In your second picture I see an instruction sheet for installation of the Hillbilly BOB, that would be as good as any. I would use a VFD to run the spindle, spend a little extra money and get a sensorless vector VFD. My prefered are the GS3 units from Automation Direct, not the cheapest, but great documentation and USA based support.

The connector in your first picture is probably the serial communication connector for loading programs to the machine.

The DMM servos referenced above seem to be relatively inexpensive.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i see they have complete kits on that site that offer pre made cords to connect everything. i like that! and around 1500 for the set up isn't bad. ill have to sell a couple things but that seems like the way to go. i had bought this cheap breakout board because i was hoping to get it to work with as little modification as possible. i had attempted to contact ashburn to purchase a hillbilly bob with no reply. i'm assuming they are not available anymore? im very excited to have this machine and i hope to get it going soon. ill contact DMM and see what they can set me up with thank you all

Downloads
    Uploads

The only drawback of the new Centroid controller is it does not have encoder feed back. However, comparing the capabilities and price of Leadshine 3phase steppers and DMM Dyn4 servos you can have servo performance for about the same price as the steppers.

If my budget allows I will step up from Acorn to the Oak board and gain full servo control. Once you price Acorn at $265 + $499 for Ultimate CNC and $100 for 1 hour of support I am halfway to an Oak board. Acorn looks attractive but for the work I want to do adding the encoder feed back may be worth the extra investment.

That is not needed , it's a miss conception that you need the controller to close the loop, both ways work just as well, closing the loop in the drive is better in some ways than using the control, why complicate it when it is not needed

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you mactec. I think the Acorn will be more than sufficient. This is my first CNC upgrade so I'm not always sure what is needed and what is just overkill. The Pro version of the software should be all I need for now.

As far as hardware goes I am just waiting for tax return to buy the Hiwin screw kit from H&W. I will also be buying 20TAC47 bearings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jknarfal View Post
    i see they have complete kits on that site that offer pre made cords to connect everything. i like that! and around 1500 for the set up isn't bad. ill have to sell a couple things but that seems like the way to go. i had bought this cheap breakout board because i was hoping to get it to work with as little modification as possible. i had attempted to contact ashburn to purchase a hillbilly bob with no reply. i'm assuming they are not available anymore? im very excited to have this machine and i hope to get it going soon. ill contact DMM and see what they can set me up with thank you all
    Your original BP motors, drives, and controller may have some value. Check Ebay for pricing. When I upgraded my machine, I sold my non-working Anilam M controller for $250 in about 30 minutes of listing. Obviously I priced it too low

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i can start pulling everything off. if anyone is interested in the origional controls just let me know. i have a couple spare circuit boards and the programming manuals also.

Downloads
    Uploads

The only drawback of the new Centroid controller is it does not have encoder feed back.
    According to all their ads, the Acorn board supports encoder feedback, both Mill & Lathe. Centroid Acorn CNC controller, Step and Direction 4 axis CNC Control board with ethernet communication Also there are 3 levels of software available: Free, Pro ($99) & and Ultimate ($499) I think the free version will do what I need but they told me an update can be added at any time for no additional fee.

Milton in Tennessee ya'll!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default bridgeport boss 5 retrofit

Sorry, meant no encoder feed back for the axial servos. There is one encoder port available for what I would assume to be for a spindle encoder.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

it appears that the complete kits from centroid are very expensive. i definatly dont have the knowledge to piece something together. i like the plug n play that the dmm set up offers. does centroid offer something similar that im not seeing on ther site? i can adapt the new motors but wiring is not my strong point.

Downloads
    Uploads

I built up a 1985 boss 5 just like yours several years back using the original steppers. The table did not have a scratch on it. I gutted the existing controls used Arturo's CNC4PC breakout board, and motor control board for the VFD plus he is very helpful with his products. Running Mach3 with Gecko drives at 45V. Its a little slow but I have no schedule to abide by. Retired toolmaker 65 years old and still learning new things everyday. Have fun thees mills are really built. Draw in Auto Cad, Mastercam X6 for the cad side Mach3 for the cam. Its really been a ride learning all this software. There were CNC machines where I worked but I guess I was more valuable to the boss on the bench.
    Some things can be made better by hand.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast