Need Help! Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors

Thread: Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors

Hello,

I am trying to get a Bridgeport Interact 720 H TNC 2500 running, It was working before being moved, but mostly sitting for the last 3 years.

Machine information, and I have attached some pictures.

The spindle driver has been replaced with a Fagor Power Supply and Spindle Driver (PS25B4/AXD25) which require +400 VAC, that is tied to the main power inputs.
    The transformers are configured X1 460 vac and X2 480 vac.
    The spindle motor is a "GE Fanuc model 10 a06b-0501-b202 #7000 ac servo motor", is this the stock 720 motor?

I did not have access to 480 VAC, so I wired a 480 vac to 208 vac transformer backwards making it a step up transformer, with 220 vac going in I measured 495 vac out unloaded on a 15 kv transformer. I am sure the voltage will drop some when loaded.

I next powered up the machine and was happy to only see the driver board with only the green led lit and the control panel screen comes to life.

The Fagor PS/SD still has a fault led lit on the PS. Not sure why?

Also, the machine still has a block of wood between the spindle and table.

Current problems...

When I turn on the air compressor it sounds like a air leak some where and the air pressure never gets over 60-70 lbs.I also hear a kind of gurgling sound like air passing through a liquid, I think it is coming from the black box in the lower left of air/lubrication panel. I don't see any movement when this is going on. Any ideas?

The air not working should not stop the controller right?

When the power is applied the control panel becomes active and does the following:

Memory Test
    Power Interrupted
    I press CE button and then it gives one of three errors
    Some thing about the Y axes out of position
    The ATC is too close
    And the last couple times, it showed FLASHING "Y-Measuring system defective B"

What I saw last on the screen.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    |____Y-Measuring system defective B <-- Flashing
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |_____ACTL. X + 0.0000 Y + 4.4934
    | __________ Z + 0.0000
    |
    |
    |________________________F0______M5/9
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    X and F above were inverse video

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors-20160902_131548_resized-large-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors-20160902_131525_resized-large-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors-bpi_0576a-large-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors-bpi_0537b-large-jpg  

Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors-bpi_0540-large-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors-bpi_0504-large-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors

Hi,
    I have a BP Torq Cut 2g, which looks similar at least.

If the air leak does not seem like anything is loose or broken, then it could be spindle cooling. Follow the leaky sounds.

I have had axis Errors and measuring system errors.
    Once a x-axis belt was broken, but then it tried to run the axis motor first.
    I get an error every now and then when coolant has leaked in the motor connector - just needs to be flushed with contact cleaner and dried and then it's okay for months.
    Start by checking the y-axis motor cables - maybe it's a short.

A word of caution - if you start messing with parameters instead, make sure you have a backup first.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Update,

FYI, The machine worked before the move, no coolant for 3 years.

The air leak, was what I though was a air line connector, but I found out it is air bleed off slider, and when in the up position does not leak air.

I tried the track the Y encoder line back to the driver, but lost it some where inside, I do know that it is a black wire leaving the encoder and a gray wire going to the driver. There must be a splice or connector in the cable path. If someone know where to look, it would be great!

I am not sure which connector on the driver board is the Y axis, so I just reseated all of them. They all looked clean. (No Change)

After the Memory Test, Power Interrupted, and before I press the CE button.
    The Y axis reading on the monitor is active and will change If push or pull in the Y direction.
    After pressing CE button and displaying the error it freezes.

I am getting the same error "Y-Measuring system defective B", but one time it also displayed "Pass over Y-reference mark"
    I can not get anything to move, and If I did I don't know where the Y reference mark is?

Will attach some more pictures, including the Y encoder which is not black like the X encoder.

Thanks,
    Bryan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors-20161222_145117-custom-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors-20161222_133633a-custom-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors-20161222_132844a-custom-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors-20161222_141037-custom-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Update,

I want to thank Harry for a copy of his machine parameters.

This last week I was given some more paper work on the 720 containing the parameters which show the controller is TNC 351/355 not a TNC 2500, is this good or bad? Maybe some who has knowledge of Heidenhain controller can let me know.

After turning the Y screw by hand the numbers on the screen would not change, the numbers just kept increasing on their own. When I first started the Y axis reading was ~4.5 now after having it on for a few hours the Y is +19 and still climbing. The screen error has changed to "Defective emergency stop switch". Is this because it is reading the difference between the front and rear encoders?

Is there a way to disable the front encoder for testing in the parameters?

Link to copy of service manual for controller: http://www.denfordata.com/bb/download/file.php?id=1142

If I can prove it is the front encoder, can I disconnect the cable from the controller and pull slack cable to allow the connector to be retrieved in the front of the casting?

I will attach the parameters pages.

Thanks, Bryan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors-ccf12302016_page_1-custom-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors-ccf12302016_page_2-custom-jpg  
    Last edited by num1bryanp; 01-01-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Update,

Now when I turn on the 720 and clear the starting errors, the display shows flashing EMERGENCY STOP DEFECTIVE, I am guessing I have a problem with the +24 volts?

We have the 720 to close to a wall to test the two 24 vdc supplies, does anyone know if the 24 vdc lines run to the main electrical cabinet and connect to terminal block?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Downloads
    Uploads

New question

Part found in the chips under the right side of the table, does any one know where it belongs? Is it even part of the mill?

It is about 2 inches long, image below.

Thanks,
    Bryan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridgeport Interact 720 H start up errors-extra-part-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello All,

Can the Bridgeport interact 720 H tap holes? ( G83 ) is it Rigid Tapping or Rapid Tapping?
    Was tapping a option for 720, or did it come standard in1989.

The programming manual talks about a tap holder with some vertical float in it to ensure break-free tapping. Is this some old form of Rigid Tapping? If not, can one still get this tool holder?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Downloads
    Uploads

Update,

I replaced power supply U1 and now the 720 comes up and completes axis reference. :-)

FYI, I do not have the air hooked up yet, and the machine has had the spindle driver and power supply changed to Fagor.

Then I went through the following step to test the spindle.

Manual operation
    Tool Call
    S2000
    ENT
    Cycle Start
    Stop
    M03
    ENT
    Cycle Start

I first tried 2000 rpm and that works! I can adjust the spindle percentage knob it displays a range of 1700 to 2400 rpm.

Then I tried 6000 rpm and it acts as if I put 2000 rpm again?

From what I have read about the Fagor Power Supply PS25B4 and Spindle Driver AXD25, it should have a greater range than 2400 rpm.

The spindle motor is a "GE Fanuc model 10 a06b-0501-b202 #7000 ac servo motor"

I am hoping this is just another operator error, any ideas?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Downloads
    Uploads

Update,

Yes, the slow spindle speed was a operator error, when I put in 4k for a speed it worked just fine. I did notice if I turn up the speed greater than 4k it gets a spindle error.

So the spindle works from 40 - 4k not the fastest... I guessing if I move slower I should still be able to still get a good finish?

New problem, I put in one of the tool holders that came with the machine and found it dose not lock up tight. I am guessing this is not normal?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

The toolholder should fit snug in the taper, less contact surface could lead to vibrations, poor tool life and surface quality.
    There still should be a gap between the collar and spindle, it doesn't go face to face.

4k can do a lot with the right feed per tooth. Depends on material and tool diameter.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Update and Corrections,

First, the big blunder on my part, I had the wrong spindle motor numbers.
    The correct spindle motor is: FM7-A055-S1C1-E01 Which is a match to the Fagor Spindle Driver AXD25 and power supply that is installed, this combination should be able to turn the motor 9k rpm.

Currently if I exceed 4k I get a "Spindle Error", can I alter the controller parameters to enable 6k rpm. (Is this possible?)

New problem, loose fitting tool holders:

I am currently at a loss as to what is causing the loose fitting tool holders. When I install a tool, it grabs the holder like I think it should but fails to pull it tight, it has ~0.15 wiggle. I looked in the head with a flash light and it is using a ball type retention system, and the balls were tight.

I am thinking it's one of two things:

1. Wrong pull studs on the tool holders that came with the mill. (Does anyone have the pull stud specs for the 720? I looked on the web and many sites match what I have.) This link shows what I have currently for pull studs: BT-40 Bridgeport Retention Knobs

2. The drawbar spring system is failing to retract the drawbar fully. (After removing the covers you can see the top of the drawbar is just short of touching the air cylinder piston rod which looks right to me, or should it be in compression with the piston?)

FYI, most of the the 720's cover screws were missing?

Does anyone have the procedure for removing / installing the drawbar on the 720?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Last edited by num1bryanp; 02-11-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Update,

I had the wrong pull studs, with the correct ones the tool holders lock up just like they should.

Next step, see if I can talk to controller via RS232.

Thanks,
    Bryan

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello All,

I am now trying to cut a simple circle to measure for accuracy.

Keep in mind this is the stripped down bridgeport TNC 351/355 without graphics which means no block form setup in lines 1 and 2.

Following is a test program I have downloaded off of the 720. When I full run, or single step the program it steps from line 9 to line 11 skipping line 10 and giving no errors, and completing all steps before and after line 10?

Any ideas? (I am sure, it is this operators fault)

Thanks,
    Bryan

0 BEGIN PGM 40 INCH
    1 TOOL DEF 1 L+2.0000 R+0.3125
    2 TOOL CALL 1 Z S 3800
    3 L R F0 M06
    4 L Z+0.1000 R F M
    5 L R F M
    6 L X-0.2165 Y+1.6202 R F M03
    7 L Z-0.1000 R F0 M
    8 L Z-0.2500 R F200 M
    9 CC X+1.2500 Y+1.2500