Bridgeport Mill - Anilam Series 1100 Controller Help

Thread: Bridgeport Mill - Anilam Series 1100 Controller Help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bridgeport Mill - Anilam Series 1100 Controller Help

I recently purchased a Bridgeport 3 axis cnc with an old Anilam 1100 controller.

Im looking for some help to either get it up and running as is or update the controller.

The computer powers up and all three axis lock, but I have not had any luck turning the spindle on or moving anything. The controller will accept commands, readouts are working, etc. I have no experience with anilam so this could be something very simple. The machine supposedly was in working condition when removed from service.

Any idea what this connector is for?

Nevermind the motor wiring in the cabinet....I have been running the mill manually. The controller is all powered by the 110V Circuit.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bridgeport Mill - Anilam Series 1100 Controller Help

Are you able to jog the axis? Press the ''hand'' key to toggle through the jog speeds, maybe set for ''jog rapid'', then press +X and see what happens.

In order to run the spindle you may have to set a spindle speed first, I didn't go through all of the manual and it's been a long time since I've had my hands on one of these.

The loose cable might be for the coolant pump or something judging from the connection on the other end of it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Are you able to jog the axis? Press the ''hand'' key to toggle through the jog speeds, maybe set for ''jog rapid'', then press +X and see what happens.

In order to run the spindle you may have to set a spindle speed first, I didn't go through all of the manual and it's been a long time since I've had my hands on one of these.

The loose cable might be for the coolant pump or something judging from the connection on the other end of it.
    No, After I reset the servos and they activate/lock....I cannot get anything to jog or execute.

I have not found anywhere on the machine/coolant pump/ or anywhere that plug could go.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you can't get it to do anything by pushing buttons, then maybe there is an electrical problem. The fact that the drives enable is a good sign, but maybe you have lost the +/- 15 volt power supply. Maybe go through and check the fuses on everything. My mill came with several packages of fuses in the bottom of the cabinet My main computer power supply ultimately failed and I just upgraded the controls in mine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dustin,

- In 2006 I purchased a (slightly larger than a Bridgeport) SuperMax YCM-30 CNC milling machine - with a working Anilam controller. I had nothing but a lot of problems with it until I converted it to modern servo drivers, slaved it to a PC, and was able to run Mach3 on it.
    - It has worked flawlessly ever since, and run very large G-code files.
    - Total conversion cost was approx. $1500-$2000 in 2009/2010 - and a lot of work.
    - You can read about the conversion here: CNC-Joe's WorkShop: CNC Projects - Annies Upgrade:
    - Send me a personal email if you have questions: JoeComunale <at symbol> Comcast.net - with no spaces and an "@" sign, of course.

- Make sure you put "Anilam Conversion" in the subject line - so that I can fish it out of the junk mail.

Good luck!

Joe

[url]www.CNC-Joe.com[/url]
    CNC Is Not Just My Passion.. It's My Addiction !!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Please put up some pictures of the screen. When you get into the control software, what messages does it give? When you hit "Servo RESET" and attempt to move the handles, you cant? But then when you go to jog the axis, they wont move? If you press an axis direction button and then get no movement, you should get an error code.

Does this machine require you to home it? Are the axis in the center of movement? If one of the limit switches is stuck, it will not allow you to move the axis or jog them.

Jon
    H&W Machine Repair

Jonathan Bass
    H&W Machine Repair and Rebuilding Inc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree the drives are enabled so that should somewhat narrow things down. I have checked all the fuses I could find. Really curious what the loose connector is for....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Limit switches are all working and each axis is off the switches. Servo Reset will lock handles and then nothing moves. I can zero axis and input information, but jog functions do not move anything. Also, simple commands do not yield any movement. There are no error messages when attempting to move/jog. Unsure if it requires a "home". I get no error messages. There is a "Servo Delay please wait" message after servo reset is pressed.... And then the servos activate.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't really tell in the pictures what it is connected to. Having that answer would be helpful. How many pins in it?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Joe View Post
    Hi Dustin,

- In 2006 I purchased a (slightly larger than a Bridgeport) SuperMax YCM-30 CNC milling machine - with a working Anilam controller. I had nothing but a lot of problems with it until I converted it to modern servo drivers, slaved it to a PC, and was able to run Mach3 on it.
    - It has worked flawlessly ever since, and run very large G-code files.
    - Total conversion cost was approx. $1500-$2000 in 2009/2010 - and a lot of work.
    - You can read about the conversion here: CNC-Joe's WorkShop: CNC Projects - Annies Upgrade:
    - Send me a personal email if you have questions: JoeComunale <at symbol> Comcast.net - with no spaces and an "@" sign, of course.

- Make sure you put "Anilam Conversion" in the subject line - so that I can fish it out of the junk mail.

Good luck!

Joe
    Thanks Joe,

I had already read your write up. I dont intend to spend any money on this anilam. If its a simple inexpensive fix I would love to run it as is for a while, but it will get converted at some point I have no doubt. Considering that my servos are powering up, what would be the easiest most affordable way to add a PC based controller?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I can't really tell in the pictures what it is connected to. Having that answer would be helpful. How many pins in it?
    4 pins...I'll track the wiring on it later.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok stupid question... what is the feed rate at?

If you go into the motion testing and start the gain routine, do the axis move? If thats a 2 cabinet 1100 system, that bottom connector is the Z axis motor cable if I remember correctly.

Jon
    H&W Machine Repair

Jonathan Bass

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by photog1098 View Post
    Ok stupid question... what is the feed rate at?

If you go into the motion testing and start the gain routine, do the axis move? If thats a 2 cabinet 1100 system, that bottom connector is the Z axis motor cable if I remember correctly.

Jon
    H&W Machine Repair
    Motion testing/gain routine??? Lost me...

Feed rate is 0. When I enter a feedrate and save....It doesnt change on screen. The feedrate knob does nothing. Default feed is 10. Oddly enough...the feedrate 0.0 flickers on screen.(not blinking)

Sorry, I marked the z cable cabinet connector in the photo by mistake. The other is a 4 pin connector I will put another photo up of what it connects to.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Near the feed rate there should be a Feed Rate %. My first thought is that the % is at zero percent, so you wont be getting any movement. But it is just a thought.

When you first power on the machine, itll come up with a screen about Anilams contact information and you gotta hit clear or F10 to get passed it. Then you get to the next screen with 3 choices: control software, setup, and motion testing... I just wonder if you got into the motion testing and started the gain testing to see if the table moves, that would tell us more.

Jon

Jonathan Bass

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That connector with 4 pins is most likely for an indexer output... if servos are on and you have torque on servo motors the feed override is probably at zero, or you are getting a feed hold ... maybe the keyboard has a stuck key for feed hold... had this happen on mine..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That connector which is going to pins P4-8, P4-9, P4-10(+24VDC) is the remote start stop option and if the control is configured with this option will not run unless P4-9 is connected to +24VDC (P4-10) as that would be a normally closed contact for feed hold.
    You can disable this in the setup and not worry about trying to jumper the wires.
    Bridgeport Mill - Anilam Series 1100 Controller Help-remote_start_feedhold-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is what I needed! I am positive that 4 pin plug is for a missing start stop station.

However, My wiring is a bit different than what is shown in that diagram.

Also, I disabled in setup and didnt gain anything.

I think this got me moving in the right direction though! Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alright...

If I disable the external Start/Stop in setup and connect the external keyboard I get some functions.

Alt + (Key) commands will operate.
    The machine will Rapid to manually entered coords.
    Programs will run correctly
    I am not aware of anyway to Jog or adjust Jog settings from the ext keyboard???

If I disconnect the ext keyboard I cant get anything to move. If I enter a coord and cycle start I get ( *halted ). Im starting to think this controller may be bad...

Last edited by dustin_phillips; 11-12-2017 at 08:40 PM.