New Machine Build Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF

Thread: Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF

This is our new training project for some of our engineers. Picked it up a few weeks ago and not a bad little machine. We will be manufacturing the new motor mounts for it with the existing Heidenhain TNC 151 control before tearing it down and installing the new control and drive hardware. We will post info on the progress as we go on. If anyone has a set of the old electrical diagrams for this type of machine, it would be much appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF-image-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF-image-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF-image-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF

Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF-image-jpg
    Machined the 3 adapter plates for the new Fanuc motors and as soon as the Fanuc kit comes in, we will start the tear down

Downloads
    Uploads

Started the tear down of the machine this last week and removed all of the sheet metal to get to the castings. When we inspected the X table, we found that the Turcite has fallen away from the table. We pulled the table only to reveal that the backside lube metering units for the way had failed and we had a pile of rust for a way. Ordered up new metering units for the entire machine as we have heard that the Bijur units can be cleaned but most of the time will not work properly so they are out. The table will be sent to have the Turcite replaced and looking through several pics of other machines, this seems to be a familiar problem.

Decided that the machine needs a lot more work on the slides so the saddle, XY ballscrews, and the pulleys have all been removed. The ballscrews and the thrust bearings all seem to be in good shape as this machine cut pretty accurately before so just a good cleaning and re-greasing for the bearings and we will reuse them.

The electrical is also going to be removed and readied for the new controls and drives.

While waiting for the new lube fittings and hose, we will start getting the casting ready for repaint. Just a few pics of the project.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF-2016-12-21-15-31-43-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF-2016-12-27-10-55-29-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I did same machine to a linuxcnc machine now the servos die so I now also have to change the servos - we have the handbook which has drawings inside which are 90%. Accurate to our machine

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by microtrol View Post
    Started the tear down of the machine this last week and removed all of the sheet metal to get to the castings. When we inspected the X table, we found that the Turcite has fallen away from the table. We pulled the table only to reveal that the backside lube metering units for the way had failed and we had a pile of rust for a way. Ordered up new metering units for the entire machine as we have heard that the Bijur units can be cleaned but most of the time will not work properly so they are out. The table will be sent to have the Turcite replaced and looking through several pics of other machines, this seems to be a familiar problem.

Decided that the machine needs a lot more work on the slides so the saddle, XY ballscrews, and the pulleys have all been removed. The ballscrews and the thrust bearings all seem to be in good shape as this machine cut pretty accurately before so just a good cleaning and re-greasing for the bearings and we will reuse them.

The electrical is also going to be removed and readied for the new controls and drives.

While waiting for the new lube fittings and hose, we will start getting the casting ready for repaint. Just a few pics of the project.
    Wow it looks like a lot of work. Thanks for sharing !! I want to follow your progress.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

What do you plan on doing with the Heidenhain control you are removing?

Mick

Downloads
    Uploads

Mick,
    The control is currently on eBay along with the drives and motors
    Brandt

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally got some time to finish cleaning the main casting and prep it for priming and then paint. I'm going with the Rustoleum 7400 series red proof primer and then 7400 Gray paint to match the original painting for the machine. Its nice to see the machine getting back to what it looked like 30 years ago with the coolant,oil, and rust removed.

The table will be picked up Monday to have the Tucite replaced. You can see in the picture the missing and loose pieces.

The new Bijur metering units and hose came in today and after the saddle is painted, i'll Install them and then test out the lubrication system.

Brandt

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF-dsc_0048-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF-dsc_0044-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF-dsc_0043-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good so far. I have a Torq Cut 22 in fairly good working condition and would love to restore it to it's original glory but for now I have to see it run for awhile. To be honest it's surprising you don't see them being refurbished more often considering the replacement costs...$40k doesn't buy much iron-wise although the electronics have come along way. I've heard Turcite can be pretty expensive, what's the resurfacing going to run(if you don't mind me asking)?

Btw, I have the same compressor, great value but not quite sufficient for my machine. Depending on timing after a tool change or two I get an error indicating low air pressure since it doesn't kick on till it hits around 90 PSI although it could probably be modified to start back up at 100 or so.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think with the advent of machine tools like Haas, most people would rather invest in a new higher speed machine as my machine has only a 6k spindle and the original box way servos cannot move as fast as a linear way machine can. Saying that though, this machine is pretty much very accurate for a 30 year old machine as a Haas will never be after 30 years.
    I purchased this machine for only 2800 dollars and it is going to be used primarily as a retrofit gaining machine for my CNC engineers. I'm working with them on the mechanical disassembly as well as working on it is better than reading a book.
    The company that will be replacing the Turcite is doing it for the cost of the materials only. I have worked with them on serveral machine rebuilds and it's more of a favor from them. Usually the cost of doing a small machine like this is not as bad as you would think and I'll ask him Monday what the cost would be if it was a regular job.
    The machine regulators on the machine are set for 80 psi so the compressor usually keeps up but this machine really doesn't run a lot of production

Brandt

Downloads
    Uploads

After a thorough cleaning and prep, we started priming the saddle and the main bed using Rustoleum's 7400 series red damp proof primer. I had read several places on the web that the alkyd enamel products suffered from drying and hardening problem but a friend told me that you can't paint several coats at a time because you have to let the moisture get pushed out by the primer and paint. we are just doing one coat a day and letting it set up over 24 hours. The test paint before and the results are very nice for a brushed on job. It's starting to look better everyday so off to the control pendant.

Brandt

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF-dsc_0001-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF-dsc_0007-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF-dsc_0006-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Started modifying the original control enclosure to fit the new Fanuc controls. We had a new operator bezel plate made by Front Panel Express and will assemble everything when the painting has been finished.
    The paint on the machine base has been finished and we are happy with the results as it cured very hard.
    Lastly, installed the new lube metering units to replace the clogged ones that caused so mush damage to the back way. The pic here is the unit under pressure test for the saddle.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF-dsc_0020-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF-dsc_0005-2-jpg   Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit to Fanuc 0i-MF-dsc_0008-2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any updates on this? Finish work, reassembly, etc? I just purchased a 412 in very good condition for $5k. I'm going to run it as is for a bit but it was also attractive because I thought it would be a good refit candidate eventually. After looking at Tormach, Grizzley conversions, etc I heard a lot of advice being given about finding one of these older machines in good shape instead. I looked at a lot of dumpers before finding this one.