Torq Cut Questions-ATC homing, Air manifold, default passwords

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torq Cut Questions-ATC homing, Air manifold, default passwords

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Torq Cut Questions-ATC homing, Air manifold, default passwords

Well my machine is up and running. I have a few questions
    Default passwords: Anyone know what they are?

ATC Homing: For some reason, my ATC homes to tool 10. It is reflected in the side status bar too. Wondering if the previous owner changed a parameter. I noted the plastic fingers in tool 5 are broken. I have not figured out yet whether I have a BT machine or a CAT machine. When you home the machine, is it SUPPOSED to home the ATC as well? I can change tools properly in MDI

Pneumatic manifold: Lower left exhaust port constantly is venting air. Transmission shifts, ATC works, power drawbar works. Suggestions on what to check to see why it is leaking?

On Torq Cuts, when the spindle is running especially at high speeds, is a high pitched whine typical? I've never heard a torque cut spindle so am unsure.

P.S. Machine seems to run fine on single phase (no load so far)

Thanks in advance!
    Marty

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Torq Cut Questions-ATC homing, Air manifold, default passwords

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Escarcega View Post
    Maintpg is: 111257 and tool changer setup is: PASSWORD

You will always hear air through the spindle even when the machine is off. I unplug my air hose at night to give the compressor a rest.

My spindle use to whine bad. I ended up changing the bearings in my spindle drive motor, and replacing the pinion. That quieted it down a lot. I also swapped my gear box but most of the noise was due to the spindle motor. When I pulled the motor I could feel the bearing issue. If you turn the spindle by hand you may be able to feel it.

Glad to hear you have it running on single phase.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the default passwords, and info on your experience with the spindle. I'll check it out.

I am aware of the spindle air bleed. That is normal.
    What I don't think is right is the constant air coming out of the lower left pneumatic manifold exhaust port.

Downloads
    Uploads

My 6000 RPM spindle has a pretty good whine to it before and after new spindle bearings were put in.

Tool carousel also homes when the axii are homed. It is normal for it to index to the last tool that was in use. That way if you leave a tool in the spindle or the power goes out mid cut it will always be in the right pocket to do a tool change upon recovery. Try changing to a different tool then homing again.

You can issue tool change commands in the MDI MODE, but there is a convenient menu selection <F1> S_T_M_ also I think <6> S_T_M while in JOG MODE that does it for you.
    Just fill in the blanks for what you want to do (i.e. S:___ T02 M06 then hit + to send the proper MDI command automatically).

I think your manifold is leaking. The left most valve is the high low gear selector. It most definitely should not be constantly pissing out air. There is a molded gasket underneath the valve that could be mucked up if the previous owner was not careful with it.

My CAT40 plastic tool fingers have ANSI molded right into the part that engages into the tool holder key/drive lug. I'd bet dollars for donuts the BT40 have JIS, ISO or BT40 molded right into it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bridgeport-BP.../dp/B00KIV2K40 is a picture. I recommend getting them from BPTparts.com though $40 a piece

You should also see the service bulletin for the proper pull stud if it does turn out to be BT40

The service bulletin was mentioned in a previous thread. You can find it attached toward the bottom of the thread. It includes dimensionals.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...957-forum.html

I'm not sure what you mean by running on single phase, but most assuredly the 7.5 hp VFD inverter drive will not generate the proper DC bus voltage without the third leg. If you mean on a properly sized rotary phase converter being powered by single phase I see no reason it won't work just fine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another quick way to check if your spindle is CAT or BT is to look upside the spindle taper with a flashlight, if you see a cup with 4 balls on the end, you have a BT drawbar. If you see claws or grippers, your machine will use CAT.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well my machine is up and running. I have a few questions

ATC Homing: For some reason, my ATC homes to tool 10. It is reflected in the side status bar too. Wondering if the previous owner changed a parameter. I noted the plastic fingers in tool 5 are broken. I have not figured out yet whether I have a BT machine or a CAT machine. When you home the machine, is it SUPPOSED to home the ATC as well? I can change tools properly in MDI

Pneumatic manifold: Lower left exhaust port constantly is venting air. Transmission shifts, ATC works, power drawbar works. Suggestions on what to check to see why it is leaking?

On Torq Cuts, when the spindle is running especially at high speeds, is a high pitched whine typical? I've never heard a torque cut spindle so am unsure.

P.S. Machine seems to run fine on single phase (no load so far)

Thanks in advance!
    Marty
    The Pneumatic leak is an easy fix, you can take the valve apart and put new orings and that should solve that problem

The ATC should be Homing when the machine homes, you are missing a sub routine macro file

The high speed whine is normal for a Gearbox machine

Password I was not going to go there as you can mess things up real bad, so you should not go there if all your machine function's are correct, which it seems they are, except for the tool change, and you don't need any parameter changes to fix that

First make a backup of your machine parameters, this is quite easy to do, you need to have a formatted floppy, you insert this in the C drive and do a backup, you should always have at least 2 backup of the system

If you don't have the machine software disc you will need one, to reinstall the missing tool change file

Last edited by mactec54; 11-21-2016 at 08:50 PM.
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jmullett View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by running on single phase, but most assuredly the 7.5 hp VFD inverter drive will not generate the proper DC bus voltage without the third leg. If you mean on a properly sized rotary phase converter being powered by single phase I see no reason it won't work just fine.
    They run perfectly fine on 240v Single phase, he has a gear box so will never notice and loss in spindle performance,RPC have killed more BMDC boards than you would ever want to think about, RPC are a bad idea for any CNC machine, if someone does need 3Ph power, then they should use/buy a Phase Perfect phase converter

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info. I am actually quite savvy with DOS. Can you tell me what the name of the tool change file is? I can search for it on the disk.

Should the ATC be homing to tool 1 or like a previous reader said it may stay on the last tool position? The machine loads the last program run.

As far as the backup, I'm sure you meant the A drive. I assume in the software there is an option to backup the parameter file? I was going to do an entire disk back up.
    Thanks for the info on the pneumatic manifold. Its a Versa. I assume its fairly straight forward to remove and disassemble?

Do you by chance have any handles for the side Lexan window/guards? My machine was missing one of them. I assume Lexan is as good as any?

In the door of the machine was a hard copy of the parameters, a parameter disk and another disk, not an original Bridgeport disk. I'll have to look at it to see what is on it.

What was the last version of software for these machines? My software version is BPC-MC V4.79.22/6.89.57

Marty

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nlh View Post
    Another quick way to check if your spindle is CAT or BT is to look upside the spindle taper with a flashlight, if you see a cup with 4 balls on the end, you have a BT drawbar. If you see claws or grippers, your machine will use CAT.
    Thanks, I will look up there with a mirror and flashlight tomorrow.

Downloads
    Uploads

My 6000 RPM spindle has a pretty good whine to it before and after new spindle bearings were put in.

Tool carousel also homes when the axii are homed. It is normal for it to index to the last tool that was in use. That way if you leave a tool in the spindle or the power goes out mid cut it will always be in the right pocket to do a tool change upon recovery. Try changing to a different tool then homing again.

You can issue tool change commands in the MDI MODE, but there is a convenient menu selection <F1> S_T_M_ also I think <6> S_T_M while in JOG MODE that does it for you.
    Just fill in the blanks for what you want to do (i.e. S:___ T02 M06 then hit + to send the proper MDI command automatically).

I think your manifold is leaking. The left most valve is the high low gear selector. It most definitely should not be constantly pissing out air. There is a molded gasket underneath the valve that could be mucked up if the previous owner was not careful with it.

My CAT40 plastic tool fingers have ANSI molded right into the part that engages into the tool holder key/drive lug. I'd bet dollars for donuts the BT40 have JIS, ISO or BT40 molded right into it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bridgeport-BP.../dp/B00KIV2K40 is a picture. I recommend getting them from BPTparts.com though $40 a piece

You should also see the service bulletin for the proper pull stud if it does turn out to be BT40

The service bulletin was mentioned in a previous thread. You can find it attached toward the bottom of the thread. It includes dimensionals.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...957-forum.html

Thanks for all the great info!
    I will do the as you suggested with respect to the ATC homing. So far, everytime I start the machine, and after homing it appears to load the last run program. I assume this is normal?

I took a look at the manifold. Looks like a bit of a job to take it off the machine to pull it apart. Mactec mentioned O-rings, but you mention a molded gasket. Its leaking air out of the lower exhaust port on the left side of the manifold.

I read the Operator's manual cover to cover today. Need to do it again. Found the S_T_M_ section and understand it. What is its practical use?
    Thanks again!
    Marty

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the great info!
    I will do the as you suggested with respect to the ATC homing. So far, everytime I start the machine, and after homing it appears to load the last run program. I assume this is normal?

I took a look at the manifold. Looks like a bit of a job to take it off the machine to pull it apart. Mactec mentioned O-rings, but you mention a molded gasket. Its leaking air out of the lower exhaust port on the left side of the manifold.

I read the Operator's manual cover to cover today. Need to do it again. Found the S_T_M_ section and understand it. What is its practical use?
    Thanks again!
    Marty
    If the valves are red then you will have orings, there where some other types used depending what year of manufacture

The Homing yes it will go to #1 then to the last tool that was used, this is the standard procedure

It's hard to separate the tool change macro, but can be done, if you have the machine disc, then you just load that disc, and it will replace the missing files, but do a system Back up before you do this, just in case, something goes wrong

Handles we got rid of most of the parts that where just taking up space, but we may still have some of the handles, will look as soon as we can

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

In regards to the software version, 6.89.57 is the latest version that EMI sells. However, my machine (`00 TC1g) came with revision 6.89.60. I have never had any luck finding any info as to what the difference from .57 is. Even EMI had never heard of this version before I called and asked them about it. I have used both 57 and 60 back to back, but honestly can't see any obvious difference.

Downloads
    Uploads

In regards to the software version, 6.89.57 is the latest version that EMI sells. However, my machine (`00 TC1g) came with revision 6.89.60. I have never had any luck finding any info as to what the difference from .57 is. Even EMI had never heard of this version before I called and asked them about it. I have used both 57 and 60 back to back, but honestly can't see any obvious difference.
    You have the new generation control, which has different software, we have one of the last controls made with the NG software, I will see if the # matches yours, or is different

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah mine attempts to load the last program that was run after homing. However my floppy to USB emulator resets to partition 000 on start up, and often times I forget to change it back the last partition I used it will result in some type of file not found/ disk read error. An ESC key will clear the error though.

I was thinking that the air leak was the gasket between the valve and the manifold. If it is coming out of the exhaust port, perhaps it is a bad o-ring/seal on the spools in one of the valves. Mine are the red Versa Valves. My valves come off the manifold with 3 socket head cap screws. Perhaps you could remove them one at a time (with the air off of course) and inspect for debris or a cracked o-ring/seal on the spool. I imagine you could order new valves from Versa it also looks like they offer repair kits . Maybe a little cleanup or desperation wipe with some vasoline to try and seal her up.

Link to Versa C Series catalog http://www.versa-valves.com/sites/de...C-USA_2016.pdf

S_T_M_ function is handy for switching tool to tool while in jog mode when setting Tool Length Offsets also if you want to turn the spindle on to take a quick pass to face some stock off by hand turning the jog wheel or jog buttons with the feed-rate override turned down to an acceptable feed-rate.

I am still having trouble how the VFD of 7.5 HP is capable of running on single phase. I understand some small and fractional HP VFD drives do this but never seen a larger one have this capability baked in. I would think some sort of phase loss protection would prevent the drive from working at all. Either way wouldn't the wiring fusing, and the drive itself have to be up-sized to handle the increased current on just two legs?

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok did some checking on your different 60 software, you may have custom software, that has some added functions, can you take a clear photo of inside your cabinet, and do you have the original system disc

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I am still having trouble how the VFD of 7.5 HP is capable of running on single phase. I understand some small and fractional HP VFD drives do this but never seen a larger one have this capability baked in. I would think some sort of phase loss protection would prevent the drive from working at all. Either way wouldn't the wiring fusing, and the drive itself have to be up-sized to handle the increased current on just two legs?
    Even the fractional Hp VFD drives most are built for 3 ph input, you should always use a VFD Drive 2Hp plus bigger, than what the motor HP is when using single phase

The wiring is more than up to the task, the fuses won't give any trouble either unless there is a short or fault somewhere

Some of the older VFD do not have phase loss protection, and won't know the difference as to having a 3ph or single phase connected, even if it did there are ways to over come this, you can do up to 15Hp motor on single phase with a 3 ph VFD Drive you would need a 20Hp drive to do this for a 15 Hp motor, this would also depend on your single phase power supply that you have is up to the task, and have enough amps

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If the valves are red then you will have orings, there where some other types used depending what year of manufacture

The Homing yes it will go to #1 then to the last tool that was used, this is the standard procedure

It's hard to separate the tool change macro, but can be done, if you have the machine disc, then you just load that disc, and it will replace the missing files, but do a system Back up before you do this, just in case, something goes wrong

Handles we got rid of most of the parts that where just taking up space, but we may still have some of the handles, will look as soon as we can
    Thanks for the info. I will have to pay more attention to the homing sequence.
    Let me know if you find a handle.
    Marty

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah mine attempts to load the last program that was run after homing. However my floppy to USB emulator resets to partition 000 on start up, and often times I forget to change it back the last partition I used it will result in some type of file not found/ disk read error. An ESC key will clear the error though.

I was thinking that the air leak was the gasket between the valve and the manifold. If it is coming out of the exhaust port, perhaps it is a bad o-ring/seal on the spools in one of the valves. Mine are the red Versa Valves. My valves come off the manifold with 3 socket head cap screws. Perhaps you could remove them one at a time (with the air off of course) and inspect for debris or a cracked o-ring/seal on the spool. I imagine you could order new valves from Versa it also looks like they offer repair kits . Maybe a little cleanup or desperation wipe with some vasoline to try and seal her up.

Link to Versa C Series catalog http://www.versa-valves.com/sites/de...C-USA_2016.pdf

S_T_M_ function is handy for switching tool to tool while in jog mode when setting Tool Length Offsets also if you want to turn the spindle on to take a quick pass to face some stock off by hand turning the jog wheel or jog buttons with the feed-rate override turned down to an acceptable feed-rate.

Great! Thanks for the info. I have Versa Valves. I will see about pulling the valves off and checking the o rings.

Downloads
    Uploads

@mactec54

I'll defer to your past experience with this particular machine, but electrically speaking, holding motor Hp and supply voltage constant, single phase current load would be 1.73 times larger than a three phase load. Seems to me that fusing, wiring, drive transistors & capacitors would necessarily be 1.73 times larger to support single phase operation. Granted, even I seldom see sustained spindle load meter screen display of more than 50% even when running a 4 inch face mill (in low gear). I just would not want to do anything that would risk my six or seven thousand dollar spindle drive. It is expensive to replace the magic smoke inside of electronics.

Downloads
    Uploads

@mactec54

I'll defer to your past experience with this particular machine, but electrically speaking, holding motor Hp and supply voltage constant, single phase current load would be 1.73 times larger than a three phase load. Seems to me that fusing, wiring, drive transistors & capacitors would necessarily be 1.73 times larger to support single phase operation. Granted, even I seldom see sustained spindle load meter screen display of more than 50% even when running a 4 inch face mill (in low gear). I just would not want to do anything that would risk my six or seven thousand dollar spindle drive. It is expensive to replace the magic smoke inside of electronics.
    You have need a 60A single phase supply the wiring that is in the machine is more than enough to support this, the VFD Drive is over rated for this machine, and is a very robust Drive, these where a special built VFD Drive to suit the spindle motors, they are not just a regular General purpose VFD Drive, they are closer to a Servo Drive and program the same way as a Servo Drive, like everything they have a life cycle, and will fail over time, no matter how they are used

Your spindle drive will fault out if there was a problem, before you will have any fuse or wiring problem, your spindle drive is as much as you want to pay for one, I would love to be able to get 6 or 7 thousand for one of these spindle drives, I have about fifty of them new in the box, I had so many of them I was selling them at a very low price at one time

Cap's in the Drives Yaskawa recommends there replacement every 2 years, but nobody does, when they do go most of the time they damage the boards making them not repairable if too badly damaged

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

If you are ever looking to liquidate of one or two of those Yaskawa drives, PM me a price. I have a 7.5HP lathe I'd like to put it on, plus a spare for the TC would be handy to have just in case. My MPG has developed an irritating squeal when I turn the plastic wheel too. Haven't looked at it yet, but I bet the encoder bearings are worn out. I think maybe you were the guy who had a line on spare 2 speed gearboxes. I'd like to send mine out for rebuild a back-up would be handy.

Thanks for the banter anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast