Newbie Looking at a Torq Cut 22

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at a Torq Cut 22

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking at a Torq Cut 22

First let me say thanks to all who have contributed information on these machines because without you guys I would have been totally in the dark on the parts supply problems when it came time to make repairs.

Machine has the usual DX32 controls but I'm not sure if the computer is a CIB yet, will know more when I see it. Supposedly it's in perfect functioning condition, includes tool changer, has latest "update", has been regularly maintained by a professional and needed very few parts replaced over the years. I don't have a lot to spend and this will be going in my garage for very low production and prototyping. I am pretty good with computer builds but the 486 stuff was about 8-10 years before my experience starts although I can probably swing it with some research. Few questions though.

I'm told it will fit my 6.8 - 6.9ft garage door(6.9 if I remove trim). I have seen others clear 7 foot doors but wanted to see if anyone has tips on one this low?

What would be the smallest rotary phase change capable of powering this machine and is it possible to wire it to run off of single phase? I will probably end up having to do a sub panel either way so if it's possible to save some money up front I can always go with a higher current breaker and plan on moving to 3 phase later on.

My backup machine would likely be a Milltronics Partner 1 which like the Bridgeport isn't the most sturdy mill out there but the linear rails would likely offer the precision in 6061 I am hoping to achieve. Speed isn't a major concern. Final option is to wait around for a decent deal on a Tormach PCNC 1100 but even used we are talking almost twice the price...if I can get to it before someone else does. I'm coming from a 1,200lb PM45 CNC Mill so really the Tormach is in the same category but probably much more suited for precision machining when compared to a clone of a clone Chinese converted mill.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking at a Torq Cut 22

I like the Torq-cuts. You will need a 15hp RPC and I am not sure you can get it under that door... at the very least you will need to remove z axis brake and likely roll it on several small diameter bar stock. with a garage door height so low, will you have enough ceiling height to run the machine? It will not run on single phase.

Richard

Downloads
    Uploads

Well the good news is I went ahead on the purchase of a 1996 Torq Cut 22 for $3,500 + $1,125 loaded and shipped from Ohio to Florida. Bad news is it will likely be a few weeks before I can recover from the purchase enough to look at rotary phase changes and the supplies needed to clean it up. Being in Florida rust is a major problem so it will need to be repainted in a few places first thing. I did confirm it has "A" manual and recovery disks.

I dont mind removing a few things from the machine to make it fit inside the garage just as long as it will eventually fit, lol. Once inside height shouldn't be a problem as I just measured and there is 98 inches (8.2 ft) of clearance. I am hoping the forklift I'm renting will fit inside the garage but if it doesn't I have some .5" aluminum stock I thought about rolling the machine in on.

Since I will be running a lot of small end mills/high RPM I'm thinking of going with well balanced CAT 40 holders balanced for 10,000-20,000 RPM & 0.0003" runout. Not sure if I should go with weldon style & set screw holders or ER20/32 collets.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking at a Torq Cut 22-pics1004-003-jpg   Looking at a Torq Cut 22-pics1004-004-jpg   Looking at a Torq Cut 22-pics1004-005-jpg   Looking at a Torq Cut 22-s-l1600-8-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Congratulations. The machine looks good for what you have into it. Being under power is a huge plus. My machine wasn't underpower and my computer didn't work when I got it. Ask if the seller to send you the pull studs... otherwise budget a few more bucks in tooling. I got a couple dozen just for asking.

If you haven't checked out my longish thread on my TC3 adventure it would be worth your time. I have some loading and unloading pictures. Make sure the air in your forklift tires are equal... ask me how I know. Take all the cabinet feet off until you have it in place... unless you want to straighten them later.
    New (to me) VMC

I use a variety of tool holders. I use weldon on the larger endmills and ER collets on smaller endmills. I have some 6" ER16 holders that are great for getting into deep tight spots.

Last edited by forhire; 11-03-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hax0red View Post
    First let me say thanks to all who have contributed information on these machines because without you guys I would have been totally in the dark on the parts supply problems when it came time to make repairs.

Machine has the usual DX32 controls but I'm not sure if the computer is a CIB yet, will know more when I see it. Supposedly it's in perfect functioning condition, includes tool changer, has latest "update", has been regularly maintained by a professional and needed very few parts replaced over the years. I don't have a lot to spend and this will be going in my garage for very low production and prototyping. I am pretty good with computer builds but the 486 stuff was about 8-10 years before my experience starts although I can probably swing it with some research. Few questions though.

I'm told it will fit my 6.8 - 6.9ft garage door(6.9 if I remove trim). I have seen others clear 7 foot doors but wanted to see if anyone has tips on one this low?

What would be the smallest rotary phase change capable of powering this machine and is it possible to wire it to run off of single phase? I will probably end up having to do a sub panel either way so if it's possible to save some money up front I can always go with a higher current breaker and plan on moving to 3 phase later on.

My backup machine would likely be a Milltronics Partner 1 which like the Bridgeport isn't the most sturdy mill out there but the linear rails would likely offer the precision in 6061 I am hoping to achieve. Speed isn't a major concern. Final option is to wait around for a decent deal on a Tormach PCNC 1100 but even used we are talking almost twice the price...if I can get to it before someone else does. I'm coming from a 1,200lb PM45 CNC Mill so really the Tormach is in the same category but probably much more suited for precision machining when compared to a clone of a clone Chinese converted mill.

Thanks!
    The Torq Cut 22 will run on 240v single phase no RPC needed, RPC on these machines if not connected correctly you will have a bad experience with this

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia View Post
    I like the Torq-cuts. You will need a 15hp RPC and I am not sure you can get it under that door... at the very least you will need to remove z axis brake and likely roll it on several small diameter bar stock. with a garage door height so low, will you have enough ceiling height to run the machine? It will not run on single phase.

Richard
    They will run on single Phase if you know what you are doing, there are many that are running on 240v single phase

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Well the good news is I went ahead on the purchase of a 1996 Torq Cut 22 for $3,500 + $1,125 loaded and shipped from Ohio to Florida. Bad news is it will likely be a few weeks before I can recover from the purchase enough to look at rotary phase changes and the supplies needed to clean it up. Being in Florida rust is a major problem so it will need to be repainted in a few places first thing. I did confirm it has "A" manual and recovery disks.

I dont mind removing a few things from the machine to make it fit inside the garage just as long as it will eventually fit, lol. Once inside height shouldn't be a problem as I just measured and there is 98 inches (8.2 ft) of clearance. I am hoping the forklift I'm renting will fit inside the garage but if it doesn't I have some .5" aluminum stock I thought about rolling the machine in on.

Since I will be running a lot of small end mills/high RPM I'm thinking of going with well balanced CAT 40 holders balanced for 10,000-20,000 RPM & 0.0003" runout. Not sure if I should go with weldon style & set screw holders or ER20/32 collets.
    You sure it is a CAT40 most are BT40 Cat40 was an option but it most likely is a BT40

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    Congratulations. The machine looks good for what you have into it. Being under power is a huge plus. My machine wasn't underpower and my computer didn't work when I got it. Ask if the seller to send you the pull studs... otherwise budget a few more bucks in tooling. I got a couple dozen just for asking.

If you haven't checked out my longish thread on my TC3 adventure it would be worth your time. I have some loading and unloading pictures. Make sure the air in your forklift tires are equal... ask me how I know. Take all the cabinet feet off until you have it in place... unless you want to straighten them later.
    New (to me) VMC

I use a variety of tool holders. I use weldon on the larger endmills and ER collets on smaller endmills. I have some 6" ER16 holders that are great for getting into deep tight spots.
    I actually found your thread during my research of the electronics and motherboard, once I get my machine I hope to detail some of my progress and the machines capabilities. I am hoping with a little TLC the mill will last me long enough to upgrade the controller and servo drivers possibly servos too if needed. My main concerns are electronics failing and backlash on the X & Y screws being over 0.0008".

I have a bunch of ER20 collets but I'm not sure how concentric they are so I may just pickup a 1/8, 3/8 and 1/2" holder set to get me off the ground. Does anyone have suggestions on a low runout/cost effective brand?

I did managed to get the shipping cost down to $990 which IMO seems great for 1,100 miles one way. The seller is loading the machine for me but I'll have to rent a forklift on my end for $480 per 24 hours including delivery/pickup. Cannot seem to find any riggers local to me.

The Torq Cut 22 will run on 240v single phase no RPC needed, RPC on these machines if not connected correctly you will have a bad experience with this
    Good to hear. I thought a manual I found mentioned something about single phase but I could be wrong. Any threads detailing the journey for single phase? 1.5hp was more than enough on my last mill for the aluminum cuts I was taking so I doubt this machine will hardly know its running.

You sure it is a CAT40 most are BT40 Cat40 was an option but it most likely is a BT40
    Yeah, I just confirmed its a CAT 40 version. Not sure if the holder design works any better or worse for tool changers but a quick glance seems to indicate the holder availability is good.

Downloads
    Uploads

I actually found your thread during my research of the electronics and motherboard, once I get my machine I hope to detail some of my progress and the machines capabilities. I am hoping with a little TLC the mill will last me long enough to upgrade the controller and servo drivers possibly servos too if needed. My main concerns are electronics failing and backlash on the X & Y screws being over 0.0008".

I have a bunch of ER20 collets but I'm not sure how concentric they are so I may just pickup a 1/8, 3/8 and 1/2" holder set to get me off the ground. Does anyone have suggestions on a low runout/cost effective brand?

I did managed to get the shipping cost down to $990 which IMO seems great for 1,100 miles one way. The seller is loading the machine for me but I'll have to rent a forklift on my end for $480 per 24 hours including delivery/pickup. Cannot seem to find any riggers local to me.

Good to hear. I thought a manual I found mentioned something about single phase but I could be wrong. Any threads detailing the journey for single phase? 1.5hp was more than enough on my last mill for the aluminum cuts I was taking so I doubt this machine will hardly know its running.

Yeah, I just confirmed its a CAT 40 version. Not sure if the holder design works any better or worse for tool changers but a quick glance seems to indicate the holder availability is good.
    CAT40 is standard for hundreds of machines, you will have to get the right Pull stud to suit your machine, that's all that is different with most machines

There are lots of parts still available for these machines

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I have searched google extensively for single phase Bridgeport/torq cut with no luck.

I did find a pdf of the manual that made some mention of the voltages, legs ect but its only a few pages that cuts short of going into more detail. I am attaching the pdf for reference. If anyone has an original manual with the next chapter I would appreciate a look. Not sure if the manual I have coming will detail the wiring, but I doubt it as its likely for programming.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking at a Torq Cut 22-bport-chap-4-power-dist-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

I have searched google extensively for single phase Bridgeport/torq cut with no luck.

I did find a pdf of the manual that made some mention of the voltages, legs ect but its only a few pages that cuts short of going into more detail. I am attaching the pdf for reference. If anyone has an original manual with the next chapter I would appreciate a look. Not sure if the manual I have coming will detail the wiring, but I doubt it as its likely for programming.
    It is very easy to do on this machine, study the snip below, and it will become very clear how to do this, 1L1 is Hot input 1L2 is Hot input Take T2 1L3 and connect to 1L1 and 1L2

Ground also must be connected

There may be some other connections to move, but this is the main ones to do, you will need at least a 60 Amp supply more is better

So what you are doing is supplying 240v single Phase to the Spindle Drive, L1 and L2 to R and S and to the T1 and T2 Transformers make sure you are on the right Transformer Taps for your voltage

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking at a Torq Cut 22-torq-cut-22-2-png  
    Last edited by mactec54; 11-13-2016 at 11:49 AM.
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

hax0red

This will help you as well, the coolant pump may be a problem

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking at a Torq Cut 22-torq-cut-22-dx32-schematic-2-pdf  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I found a thread by dbtoutfit that seems to indicate how to connect the mill for single phase so I will reference that. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/phase-...132-cnc-7.html

Thanks again.

Downloads
    Uploads

I found a thread by dbtoutfit that seems to indicate how to connect the mill for single phase so I will reference that. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/phase-...132-cnc-7.html

Thanks again.
    Yes this is the one I was looking for

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It is very easy to do on this machine, study the snip below, and it will become very clear how to do this, 1L1 is Hot input 1L2 is Hot input Take T2 1L3 and connect to 1L1 and 1L2

Ground also must be connected

There may be some other connections to move, but this is the main ones to do, you will need at least a 60 Amp supply more is better

So what you are doing is supplying 240v single Phase to the Spindle Drive, L1 and L2 to R and 2 and to the T1 and T2 Transformers make sure you are on the right Transformer Taps for your voltage
    Thanks mactec54. I guess your post popped up while I was typing. I will probably leave the coolant pump disconnected for the time being.

Machine arrives tomorrow. Hopefully I can take enough pictures to confirm my process without issue and help the next guy make sense of it without rehashing the subject.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks mactec54. I guess your post popped up while I was typing. I will probably leave the coolant pump disconnected for the time being.

Machine arrives tomorrow. Hopefully I can take enough pictures to confirm my process without issue and help the next guy make sense of it without rehashing the subject.
    Some have a 120v single phase coolant pump, so you will be ok if it has, the oil pump is another that you need to make sure it has power so this is just things to check

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't wait to hear your outcome. Mine JUST squeaked into my 84" garage door with the brake taken off the Z axis. I have the transmission, not sure if that adds a little height or not, cut sheets don't seem to imply that. I'm not so sure yours is gonna fit?
    Mine has a 120V Gusher coolant pump. Like Mactec says, it will run on single phase. One transformer is on L1 & L2 and the other, L2 & L3. I moved my L3 to L1 per the drawing and pulled the fuse on L3 at the disconnect BUT MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THOSE 2 TRANSFORMERS to make sure they are tapped correctly for 240V! Mine were tapped 208. Popped a couple of TVSS diodes, caused me some delay and about $20 in parts, Riggers moved mine in, had a forklift with LONG forks and of the proper capacity to move a VMC. I hope yours had proper capacity and forks. I hope you got it in and all went ok. Let us know!

Marty

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Escarcega View Post
    I can't wait to hear your outcome. Mine JUST squeaked into my 84" garage door with the brake taken off the Z axis. I have the transmission, not sure if that adds a little height or not, cut sheets don't seem to imply that. I'm not so sure yours is gonna fit?
    Mine has a 120V Gusher coolant pump. Like Mactec says, it will run on single phase. One transformer is on L1 & L2 and the other, L2 & L3. I moved my L3 to L1 per the drawing and pulled the fuse on L3 at the disconnect BUT MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THOSE 2 TRANSFORMERS to make sure they are tapped correctly for 240V! Mine were tapped 208. Popped a couple of TVSS diodes, caused me some delay and about $20 in parts, Riggers moved mine in, had a forklift with LONG forks and of the proper capacity to move a VMC. I hope yours had proper capacity and forks. I hope you got it in and all went ok. Let us know!

Marty

Mill arrived this morning and I am currently sitting on top of machine trying to get everything under the hat on top off. I've got the brake off fairly easily and cable chain pushed down far enough but the pulley attached tour the ballscrews isnt breaking loose, anyone know how to get this off?

Downloads
    Uploads

Boy, tough spot, I wished I could help you. Maybe Mactec can chime in soon to help!

Downloads
    Uploads

Mill arrived this morning and I am currently sitting on top of machine trying to get everything under the hat on top off. I've got the brake off fairly easily and cable chain pushed down far enough but the pulley attached tour the ballscrews isnt breaking loose, anyone know how to get this off?
    The Pulley is quite easy to take off, remove the screws it has a double taper lock, you just have to tap down on the pulley and it will beak loose

Taking this off though is not going to help you any, the height of the Ballscrew shaft, will still be there, and you don't want to mess with the top Ballscrew bearing mounting, or the Ballscrew

So taking the brake off is about it

Mactec54

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast