Bridgeport Manual to CNC Conversion... - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bridgeport Manual to CNC Conversion...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bridgeport Manual to CNC Conversion...

You will get full torque across most of the RPM range of operation. HP is a measure of work based on Torque X rpm / 5252.

A full blown servo would be the Cats meow BUT you can also get full torque with an invertor rated AC motor and a good VFD

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

You will get full torque across most of the RPM range of operation. HP is a measure of work based on Torque X rpm / 5252.

A full blown servo would be the Cats meow BUT you can also get full torque with an invertor rated AC motor and a good VFD

3k is really too slow for productive alum work you need to get to at least 5K and 6K would be better BUT you will start making heat in the Spindle at that point unless you replace teh bearings with high quality bearings and Grease.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks TP,

I was looking at something like this...

Aliexpress.com : Buy New Servo system kit 6N.M 1.8KW 3000RPM 110ST AC Servo Motor 110ST M06030 + Matched Servo Driver from Reliable motor skateboard suppliers on BST AUTOMATION

On this machine I have never needed more than 3000, now i have the smaller spindle for high speed stuff, probably never will.

A new inverter rated motor and good vfd will be more ££ than the servo system.

Bending bits of metal in Hertfordshire - https://ddmetalproducts.co.uk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by davek0974 View Post
    Eventful morning....

Did some paying jobs, then started messing with the BP, it turns out I have the 1.5Hp / 1450rpm motor and top speed is 3500rpm although the vari-speed won't turn past 3000 or below 500 so I'm guessing something is wrong inside the head for a start.

I tweaked the VFD a bit, luckily the front panel pot was still programmed as speed source - it was just set at 50Hz.

After a few tests I finally set max to 100Hz and min to 15Hz, it was on default 25-75Hz.
    Your motor is 50Hz your minimum can only be around 40Hz or your motor will overheat, and in your case 100Hz is your max, now you can lower the Hz only if you have a better cooling system, check the photo I posted it has a fan that keeps the motor cool, and the original, fan is removed, it has a constant air flow when the motor is running this fan is controlled by the VFD relay

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by davek0974 View Post
    Thanks TP,

I was looking at something like this...

Aliexpress.com : Buy New Servo system kit 6N.M 1.8KW 3000RPM 110ST AC Servo Motor 110ST M06030 + Matched Servo Driver from Reliable motor skateboard suppliers on BST AUTOMATION

On this machine I have never needed more than 3000, now i have the smaller spindle for high speed stuff, probably never will.

A new inverter rated motor and good vfd will be more ££ than the servo system.
    The best AC motors to get are the Baldor washdown duty they run up to 6,000 RPM 3Hp or 5Hp

For servos you don't get the RPMs needed with the larger Hp servo motors

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by eman5oh View Post
    It has a braking transistor, it does work but will trip if I set the decel to less than 5 seconds and have the spindle spun up to 4200 rpm. I am hoping once I remove the vari drive parts and put in fixed pulley it will have less inertia and the braking will work better.
    Yes that should help, the vari speed pulleys have a lot of inertia, even if you had a bigger VFD Drive with a external Braking Resistor, you still may not get below 5 seconds and have the Vari-drive in place

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

For servo RPM you run a larger motor and do a 1: 1.66 ratio on teh pulleys. 3k rpm turns into 5Krpm .

Here running a Series 1 Boss 2hpVS with a GS2 VFD with a large braking resistor and a small amount of DC braking added in I can semi rigid tap at 500-1000 rpm and have a 1-2 sec stop time. The motor is the stock BP 3P motor.

Another solution is to run a 3hp DC motor for the spindle and take OUT teh VS unit. A UC400eth UCcnc controller does rigid tapping with encoder support . The Dc motor assy has a LOT less inertia to deal with BUT it also has MORE maintanance to deal with(brushes).

There are many ways this can be done it just depends on how big your wallet is (;-).

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Dave - dunno if you found your ballscrews yet but I managed to get X and Y sets (2505 with double ball nuts) for my manual BP conversion through AliExpress for a very decent price. I paid something like an extra fiver to have all the ends finished to my own drawings including shoulders, keyways, threads etc. I can give you their details and my drawings if they would be helpful. Made a very nice job of them and they fitted right in. Imagine trying to finish off the ends of your X screw yourself.

Mine's a 42" table and I made room on the ends of each leadscrew for a toothed belt drive, with 400W 48V DMM servos and 2.5:1 reduction.

I got a 1604 for the Z-axis and you may have seen my post on Mactec's thread - I used a very similar approach, fitting the ballscrew where the feed stop used to be - it drops right in. I used a pinch yoke so that I can loosen the ballnut and operate the quill manually - I'll tell you if that was a success when I have it finished....

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes i got my screws, its all fitted and i hope to be running some basic motion tests on X&Y this weekend. The screws were imperial and 1-1/4" (32mmm) X 0.2" (5.08mm) size - very big items.

Of course i ordered the wrong size - i ordered a kit for a 9x48 machine but the Y axis has to be ordered in travel not table size and my travel is 12" so that had to be sent back and changed - this takes a while as they came from the states !

Z axis is not sorted yet, i want to get X&Y going first.

Downloads
    Uploads

Short update, project nearly finished now, pictures below, final testing soon and then some jobs to put on it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridgeport Manual to CNC Conversion...-img_1498-jpg   Bridgeport Manual to CNC Conversion...-img_1503-jpg   Bridgeport Manual to CNC Conversion...-img_1504-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work

Downloads
    Uploads

Project just about done now, she's making chips too

Couple of pics of the panel and user controls.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridgeport Manual to CNC Conversion...-img_1512-jpg   Bridgeport Manual to CNC Conversion...-img_1496-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dave, great project, I'm just starting out looking for a donor machine. I think I might have to go for Muzzers Aliexpress ballscrews as I cant afford a commercial kit and I'm only doing hobby work. Can I ask what you used for the Yoke ? was this made or a kit part. The DeLorean keyboard looks fantastic. Nice.

Last edited by Beautifulsmall; 04-19-2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: misspelled yoke

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

The yoke came with the ball-screw kit, i still have my old yoke, was going to eBay it

The keyboard is good but now i see why most commercial ones are vertical - they get covered in chips very quickly

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    Dave - dunno if you found your ballscrews yet but I managed to get X and Y sets (2505 with double ball nuts) for my manual BP conversion through AliExpress for a very decent price. I paid something like an extra fiver to have all the ends finished to my own drawings including shoulders, keyways, threads etc. I can give you their details and my drawings if they would be helpful. Made a very nice job of them and they fitted right in. Imagine trying to finish off the ends of your X screw yourself.

Mine's a 42" table and I made room on the ends of each leadscrew for a toothed belt drive, with 400W 48V DMM servos and 2.5:1 reduction.

I got a 1604 for the Z-axis and you may have seen my post on Mactec's thread - I used a very similar approach, fitting the ballscrew where the feed stop used to be - it drops right in. I used a pinch yoke so that I can loosen the ballnut and operate the quill manually - I'll tell you if that was a success when I have it finished....
    I would be very interested if you could post these drawings, AliExpress has various rolled C5 ballscrews in my price range. Can I ask which you went for and do you rate them. Much appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

all my aliexpress stuff came from this guy - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/314742

really helpful guy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, Beautifulsmall, I haven't been on here for a while and only just saw this.

I used Aliexpress store "Machine parts store", Mike Zhang. I bought them in May 2014 when I was living in Canada. Including machining and shipping it cost me $207 Canadian. Even in US dollars that would have been pretty good and even with inflation, today's price would still be pretty good I suspect. Here are the drawings I used to get them ordered and machined. The reference to "DMM" is because they are the servos motors and drives I bought for it but the pulleys are standard parts of course.

One other thing to note is that this is for a metric (Taiwanese) machine and it has the 42" table.

Bridgeport Manual to CNC Conversion...-x-axis-drawing-jpg
    Bridgeport Manual to CNC Conversion...-y-axis-drawing-jpg

I designed my X and Y axes to retain the original table brackets, bearings, handwheel and keyways. I've attached a couple of CAD views to show what mean. I lengthened each of the ballscrews to accommodate a toothed belt pulley but otherwise they are the same as the originals. They are DFU2505 ie double ballnuts, 25mm diameter, 5mm pitch. The double ballnuts allow you to shim them apart to control backlash.

Bridgeport Manual to CNC Conversion...-knee-assembly-dmm-view-jpg
    Bridgeport Manual to CNC Conversion...-handwheel-assembly-cnc-dmm-view-jpg

One thing to be aware of is that the yoke will need to be machined to accept the ballscrews. I forget the exact dimensions but IIRC, the yoke has a bore of 38mm and the ballnuts are 40mm. My lathe is big enough to fit the yoke on the faceplate.

They arrived pretty sharpish (something like a week!) and I checked the bearings, keyway, handle and were a good fit. The length was spot on too. I have to point out that I have yet to fit them for real. Not long after I got all the parts for the conversion, we moved back to the UK and I was without a workshop for 2 years. I can't describe what that was like but I think it was partly (largely) responsible for a serious accident I had with a mouse about 8 months ago when browsing ebay that resulted in a 3 tonne Shizuoka CNC milling machine arriving at the house before I'd actually built the workshop to take it. Anyway, nobody died and the thing is pretty much working now. The later / ongoing parts of that saga is to be seen at www.murraye.com

I will be fitting the ballscrews to the Blidgeport when I have got used to the Shizuoka, if only because the existing leadscrews are pretty much buggered and I have all the servos, electronics etc to do it.

Murray

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridgeport Manual to CNC Conversion...-handwheel-assembly-section-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

25mm screws may be a bit light, the official ones are 32mm or 1-1/4" IIRC
    It should be ok though as these machines never see production work, just thought i'd mention.

Downloads
    Uploads

The original steel-bronze leadscrew set was 32mm and when you look at the specs for these vs ballscrews, I suspect a 25mm ballscrew is more than good enough. You'll also struggle to fit the ballnut in the yoke unless you are prepared to add a couple of zeros to the price for something more compact.

Many of these DIY conversions have compts (eg stepper motors) that are OTT because it isn't easy to calculate / specify the correct sizes. For a machine like a manual BP, there's not a whole lot of rigidity there to start with so you are limited in what you can do. For comparison, my Shizuoka has 32mm ballscrews and is "somewhat" larger - and was designed as a proper CNC machine from the outset.

Murray

Downloads
    Uploads

Of course, the kit i had came with a custom yoke so it all fitted ok.
    I mentioned it just to keep the details in the thread for future.

25mm screws have an awesome spec so would be just as good, would not go smaller though

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast