Bridgeport Torq-Cut 30 Spindle Bearing Replacement or Rebuild Source

Thread: Bridgeport Torq-Cut 30 Spindle Bearing Replacement or Rebuild Source

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bridgeport Torq-Cut 30 Spindle Bearing Replacement or Rebuild Source

My Torq-Cut 30 with 6K RPM 2 Speed spindle started making a rough rubbing/squeaking noise this morning. I pulled the spindle cartridge and it seemed to have oil around the spindle cartridge when I pulled it so I don't think it ran dry, and it doesn't sound like a grind, more like a seal that has com apart. It definitely makes noise spinning it on the bench.

I opened the dust covers and am down to what appears to be a 3" dia. smooth nut with a pin hole for a spanner wrench to remove the preload on the bearing. It looks like the nut has an threaded set-screw hole in it that is currently unpopulated which seems a bit odd. I don't know what would keep it from backing off over time other than the friction of the threads and the preload. Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I want to go any deeper vs. sending it out to a rebuild shop. I don't have mechanical drawings or parts diagrams of the internals. My maintenance manual ends at the first page of chapter 13 "Parts Breakdown".

I'm looking to anyone who has replaced spindle bearings in one of these things before to offer any advice, where to get parts, or someone who can recommend a rebuild shop they've done business with. I'm located in northwest Ohio not too far from Ft. Wayne, Toledo, Detroit, Dayton. I'd prefer to be able to put this in a truck and drive it to its destination.

EDIT: Upon further inspection I'm thinking this must have some sort of hydraulic nut holding the everything together not a spanner nut. As I suspect, this will be outside of our skill set. I'm still looking for a honest and fair rebuild source to get me back up and running. I've called 2 different places found on the interwebs plus the guy I normally get parts from and none of them has called me back.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by jmullett; 08-19-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bridgeport Torq-Cut 30 Spindle Bearing Replacement or Rebuild Source

Spindles are rebuilt with high precision in a CLEAN ROOM. Bridgeport used to have one. I saw it.
    Spindles are greased with typically KLUBER grease and even that is a science. So many CCs here and there. Too much and you generate heat.
    The oil may be coming from the transmission above it. That has a sight glass. Check that.
    How does it spin on the bench? How does it feel? Believe there is a good spindle repair facility in Atlanta.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bridgeport Torq-Cut 30 Spindle Bearing Replacement or Rebuild Source

jmullett

Have you tried BPTParts,

A friend has a new Spindle, what do you need a BT or a Cat, most of the Spindles he has are BT

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I had Motor City Repair in Livonia, MI rebuild the spindle. I was able to see them take the spindle apart and diagnose. A simple bearing swap was required. No chroming and grinding was needed. However the inside hydraulic nut was put on backwards either by Bridgeport or by the previous rebuilder and had to be cut off and a new one made. They had a seperate room for assembly of the bearings and several test benches for balancing and run in. Its already done and I'm picking it up on Tuesday. I'll let you know how I make out after I get some hours on it.

The BPTParts folks forwarded my info to Gilman who does their spindle repairs. I've used their machine slides for years. It just took a little too long for the referral to reach me or I might have considered them. Its just nice to be able to drive it up to the repair place to check out their facilities toget a warm fuzzy about their operation.

Downloads
    Uploads

jmullett

That's good you found someone to repair it, if the repair is done right, you should be good for some time

The new Spindle is not to far from you as well, in Indiana close to the Ohio border, it could of been test run as well

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec54,

Would you or your friend also happen to have a line on a spare two speed transmission and perhaps a Parvex DC servo motor as well?