clattering kwik switch?

Thread: clattering kwik switch?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default clattering kwik switch?

When my machine is cutting sometimes it emits a sort of clattering noise. The noise definetely comes from around the cutter but doesn't really sound like the usual noises cutters make. It only happens every once in a while... certain speeds/feeds it will start clattering

If I put my hand on the quill when this noise is happening I can't feel it. The bearings in the machine seem fine by all the methods I know (no runout or play... don't run overly hot). My theory is that the quick switch nut is clattering back and forth. When the machine is stopped and the break is on I can rotate the end of the spindle a small amount (maybe 5 degrees). Has anyone else heard of this happening? I was wondering if there was something I should tighten up that is loosening... or maybe I should just ignore it. Machine is R2E4 series 2.

james

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

On my Excello the brake is before the spline drive so you could have a bit of wear on the spline and maybe to sourch of noise?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Most likely the drive spline is wearing out in the drive pulley and on the spindle of your machine. I had to rebuild mine once, to cure the same problem. The pulley most likely has the most wear, so replacing/repairing that might remove most of the slack.

Or, regrind the spline teeth on the spindle just a whisker, to straighten them up, and then make a new pulley spline to match.

Some of these cast in place compounds might work to repair the pulley spline, too. You want as close a fit as possible.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default spline fit

Does anyone have a spec on what the fit should be on the spline?

I think I grossly overestimated the movement I could feel... I put an indicator on it and it looks like the outside of the nut moves .008, or about .4 degrees. Does this sound like a normal amount? Also this movement seems pretty constant throughout the quill travel... if it was worn I would think there would be a wide variation across the splines...

james

Downloads
    Uploads

That would indicate that most of the wear is in the pulley, which is good news, because then you only have to fix one part

The specification is a close slide fit. Zero clearance would be good if it will never seize up from a gnat's whisker falling in

In a mill, the shock of the cutter loading and unloading every time it take a chip, causes the spindle to react and actually vibrate back and forth between both sides of the spline teeth. This slapping effect creates the noise. The wider the gap, the more acceleration happens on the rebound, and the louder the slap or reverberation as it bounces back and forth.

Possibly, there could also be some sypathetic vibrations coming from the backgears, too. Even when they are not being used, I think they are still rotating, and vibrations from the spindle housing could cause them to rattle a bit. That is why they usually have a 'noise killer' plastic or fiber gear in the train.

Edit: you do give the Kwik Switch nut a small bump with the wrench to tighten it up, do you?

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Please remember that on the BPTs the drive of the spindle is done by the splined gear hub, which has the bull gear attached to it and has on top the clutch teeth for the hi gear range.

George