Need Help! Getting Bridgeport Series II Interact 2/Heidenhain TNC 151 running

Thread: Getting Bridgeport Series II Interact 2/Heidenhain TNC 151 running

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Getting Bridgeport Series II Interact 2/Heidenhain TNC 151 running

I recently bought a 1982 Bridgeport Series II Interact 2 with Heidenhain 151 controller. The previous owner claimed that it worked fine up until he stopped using it 6 years ago. It was not powered when I bought it so I got it for a reasonable price.

I've hooked up 240V single phase in the cabinet to lines 100 and 101. I've noticed the transformer T3 is missing - am I correct in assuming that it is for external accessories only so I can run without it? If that is the case, it appears that hooking up single phase to lines 100 and 101 should run the machine other than the spindle, which I plan to power directly with a VFD (haven't gotten that running yet).

I replaced the oil in the oil tank with Mobil Vactra #2 and filled it up to within about 3/4" from the top. I also noticed the coolant system has been removed. For the moment that is OK, I will add one soon.

When I hooked up my air supply to the connection on the back of the machine I noticed I had 2 leaks - an open port on the manifold which I would assume is associated with the mist coolant and an unconnected plastic line on the bottom of the water trap. I assume that this open line is a drain but the water trap should not be leaking air out of it.

I powered on the machine and the controller displayed "MEMORY TEST" and then "RELAY EXT-DC VOLTAGE MISSING". From the manual it sounds like this is normal. I pressed CE then and reset the emergency stop buttons and it shows a screen for

MANUAL OPERATION

PASS OVER Z-REFERENCE MARK

PASS OVER Y-REFERENCE MARK

PASS OVER X-REFERENCE MARK

NOML. X + 14.9562 Y + 7.1982
    Z + 1.0000

At this point I can't get it to do anything. I can enter a number for Z but I cannot use the joysticks to move axes. I have hit the yellow button and hear the click of a relay and I hear what sounds like a relay clicking when I move the Z joystick to the up or down position but I don't see any movement. How should I proceed from here to get through this sequence?

Also I tried switching the spindle brake from "AUTO" to "OFF" and the solenoid on the ram just started venting air continuously. I assume that means that the solenoid needs a seal replaced - is that typical?

I have PDF manuals for the Heidenhain controller ("Conversational Programming", "Installation Instructions", "Interfaces" and "Service Instructions") but I haven't found any of them to be much help with the situation. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When you get to pass over reference marks press cycle start and it should pass over the first ref mark.
    Make sure the feed overide is not turned down.
    If any of the pass over ref messages are in reverse video it will move away from the ref then ref the next time you press cycle start.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sure enough, that works. Thank you! That would have been my first guess too, had I been able to see a marking for a cycle start button on the controller. This thing is so old that the text around that button is gone.

Any tips on the water trap or the brake valve? Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Getting Bridgeport Series II Interact 2/Heidenhain TNC 151 running

Hello All,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a similar problem. I start up the machine, run through the homing cycle. If I call up a program, cant get it to run. I hit the start cycle and nothing. If I try and do a canned cycle, wont program. Is there a way to go into program mode type in G0 X2.0. and have the X axis move 2 inches? Not sure where to go from here to run a canned cycle or input a short program. Can some one give me an example of a short program to run a test. I have a small mill at my house but it will not do any large items. So I am interested in getting the Interact running. Thanks Mike B.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BooherCNC View Post
    I have a similar problem. I start up the machine, run through the homing cycle. If I call up a program, cant get it to run. I hit the start cycle and nothing. If I try and do a canned cycle, wont program. Is there a way to go into program mode type in G0 X2.0. and have the X axis move 2 inches? Not sure where to go from here to run a canned cycle or input a short program. Can some one give me an example of a short program to run a test. I have a small mill at my house but it will not do any large items. So I am interested in getting the Interact running. Thanks Mike B.
    Dear did you get any solution to this problem?? i am still lost in this problem.