Newbie Connecting a Bridgeport 800/22 DX-32 to a computer

Thread: Connecting a Bridgeport 800/22 DX-32 to a computer

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Connecting a Bridgeport 800/22 DX-32 to a computer

Dear Sirs,

I am an IT guy and I was asked by a CNC operator on connecting the 800/22 to his computer.

I looked a fair bit in the manual and I searched the internet but I seriously do not understand where to start.

There is an LPT1 slot on the machine and I could connect it to his computer but how do they communicate? The CNC operator told me that Surfcam should be able to do it but I am worried about trying things which I don't know nothing about in a production environment.

Any help is tremendously appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Steven

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

LPT1 is a parallel port for a printer. It should have a DB25 labeled COM1.
    After so many years, It may have a different mother board and the com port may not even be hooked up. Check the mother board. Make sure the COM headers are plugged in. There should be a cable plugged into this going to COM1.
    I use a DOS version of procomm to talk to most machines. My Bridgeport R2E4 used 8 data bits, 2 stop bits, Xon Xoff enabled, no parity. Cable required pins 2 and 3 as transmit and receive, 7 as signal ground, jumper 4 to 5, and another jumper between 6 to 8 to 20.

George

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you. As a matter of fact - I did see a DB25 on the machine next to the LPT1 but it was labeled "A" for some reason.

I did find Procomm for Dos on some old sharewaresite and at work I'll be giving it a try (well - I see if I can start it (x64 at home - file is a no-go) and then make sense out of it.)

Thank you very much for the little bump in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    LPT1 is a parallel port for a printer. It should have a DB25 labeled COM1.
    After so many years, It may have a different mother board and the com port may not even be hooked up. Check the mother board. Make sure the COM headers are plugged in. There should be a cable plugged into this going to COM1.
    I use a DOS version of procomm to talk to most machines. My Bridgeport R2E4 used 8 data bits, 2 stop bits, Xon Xoff enabled, no parity. Cable required pins 2 and 3 as transmit and receive, 7 as signal ground, jumper 4 to 5, and another jumper between 6 to 8 to 20.

George