Pencil feature lockup

Thread: Pencil feature lockup

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pencil feature lockup

I have a surface feature to machine in V4 3axis pro and for some reason it gets to 100% done and hangs there for at least an hour until I canceled it and it crashes Solidworks. There are 8 areas in which to clean out and if I select only those surfaces one at a time it will do them but still hangs for a while on 100% before showing the toolpath. Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks, Forrest

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pencil feature lockup

I do not have V4,,but I did take your model and applied some tool paths to it successfully.
    I cannot see your CAM,as I do not have V4.What tool paths are you trying.
    And,Btw,,that is a pretty big model.Do you have enough computer for the task at hand ????

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My computer is more than up to the task but just in case here are the specs:
    Dell Precision 6 core boost to 4.43GHz
    12 GB ram
    SSD 256 dual
    Quadro 2000 1GB GDDR5
    Windows 7 pro

The model is large in physical dimensions but I've done much larger and more complex models before so I don't think that is the issue. This is one of the first time I've used the pencil feature to clean out so many areas at once. My model consist of a Z-level rough with 3/4" tool, Advance planer with a 3/4" BN, Flatlands with a 3/8" tool and a few profile cuts to clean up vertical edges. There are a total of 8 areas that get the pencil feature with an 1/8" BN set to .03" stepover and 6 passes. They are pretty straight forward in that the toolpath is in a straight line. All the other toolpaths generate in under a minute total. Each individual pencil path takes about 3 minutes. If I try to select the entire model and let it do all 8 areas it hangs up for more than an hour and I get impatient and shut it down.

Thanks, Forrest

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest C View Post
    The model is large in physical dimensions but I've done much larger and more complex models before so I don't think that is the issue. This is one of the first time I've used the pencil feature to clean out so many areas at once. My model consist of a Z-level rough with 3/4" tool, Advance planer with a 3/4" BN, Flatlands with a 3/8" tool and a few profile cuts to clean up vertical edges. There are a total of 8 areas that get the pencil feature with an 1/8" BN set to .03" stepover and 6 passes. They are pretty straight forward in that the toolpath is in a straight line. All the other toolpaths generate in under a minute total. Each individual pencil path takes about 3 minutes. If I try to select the entire model and let it do all 8 areas it hangs up for more than an hour and I get impatient and shut it down.

Thanks, Forrest
    Hi Forrest. I have an idea about it and created a file for you to test if you would like to take the time... I have made some changes to the model with BobCad, so we can discuss that if you confirm that this particular model will work better on the calcs that are giving you troubles...

Here is the file saved in a SAT format.. If you would replace the geometry in your file with this one (Of course save out a version for the testing purposes so we don't mess with what you already have...) Then just reselect geometry for your features and try to re-compute... Be sure this file in the SAT format loads into your solidworks cleanly... If you have any issues with it, let me know and I will upload a couple different formats until we get it in cleanly...

Get back to me if it has made any difference....

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

So I got home and ran a test on your file:

Pencil feature lockup-pencil-jpg

Here's some info... I don't think it was a geometry fixup like the model I posted, with a small caveat. This model which I got toolpathed with a 1/8 ball and 6 steps with a .03 stepover is a model which I completely rebuilt the geometry for my testing, so I don't know the result on your original model, but I suspect it will be the same....

The testing went like this. Single pencil with no steps = pretty quick. Adding ANY amount of multiple passes would have it sit at the toolpath calculation 100% mark.. It was never "Locked up or frozen" as it was still calculating...

Without waiting I played with several options to see if there was a change. (feature settings, geometry, boundries etc....) No change....

Took the model down to just the 2d profile and rebuilt all the entities to be very dense (looking to see if it was a lack of definition problem)....

The calc sat at 100% again... Walked away for somewhere between 3-5 hours and the path was calculated....

to confirm, I will have to do it again on your original model, to be sure it didn't have anything to do with the rebuilding... With that said:

It was a very heavy calculation, but I don't see why... I also have a pretty heavy workstation, which allows me to complete things others cant...

I will do the test on the original model to be sure, then submit the model (with your permission) to BobCad to have them take a look at it... It doesn't seem like it should take that long, but I don't know all the ins and outs as in, if I setup the feature correctly....

So the only answer cuirrently, is, if you can let it run, it will finish.... (Start the calc at the end of the day and go home... Should be done when you get in the next day...) You have a decent enough computer, but it's not as beefy as mine, and that may compound the time, so 4 hours could turn into 20........

Needless to say, a 20 hour calc seems like something wrong on such a simplistic model.....

Let me know if I can use your model for a submission....

And like JR, sorry, I don't have a file with toolpath to give you or I would. I don't have the solidworks V4, but the standalone V27... But I don't think it is anything different between the 2 either...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Burr, I took your model (not sure what is different from mine) and ran a test on it. After a few hours I came back and it was done. What I don't understand is if I select each surface area separately it only takes 2-3 minutes to compute. Times that by 8 areas and you get 25 minutes tops. So what is going on here BobCad?

Forrest

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest C View Post
    Burr, I took your model (not sure what is different from mine) and ran a test on it.
    Your original model has some very small tangential issues in the smallest little arcs and also had some very small surfaces created where those were that didn't need to be there.... I cleaned those out to see if that was causing the toolpath to "think" too much for such a simple cut. As I posted though, I don't think that was a cause/reason for this....

What I don't understand is if I select each surface area separately it only takes 2-3 minutes to compute. Times that by 8 areas and you get 25 minutes tops.
    Yeah, which seems like it should be the case for the model. Selecting the individual surfaces just allows the toolpath to violate the intent of the model though, so that should be a no go...

So what is going on here BobCad?
    I reported the model and issue to BobCad... Hopefully it is something that can be addressed either on our end, or theirs.