4 axis helical but

Thread: 4 axis helical but

Default 4 axis helical but

let me start by saying that I do not know much about programming 4 axis at all, I am trying to teach myself and find that there is not very much out there for tutorials or help. in fact I bought the training DVD's and there is nothing in there for 4 axis or lathe, which I purchased both modules. Makes paying for the DVD's a bit worthless....

what I'm trying to do is program a simple (well, I think it should be simple at least) helical cut with a ball mill as shown in the attached picture. Seems to me that you should be able to pick the centerline of the helix and be able to use that to drive your tool tip and give it multiple passes to get to the desired depth (again, at least that's my logic..)

I'm using Solidworks 2015 & Bobcam for Solidworks V4 with 4 axis standard. From what little I did find online one person had a youtube video showing exactly what I am looking to do, but said that he also purchased 4 axis standard only to find out that he needed to upgrade to 4 axis pro just to do this. Hopefully this is not the case

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Kyle

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4 axis helical but-4th-axis-helical-cut-jpg  

Default Re: 4 axis helical but

just thought I'd update. it's possible, just need to use the unwrap and wrapping features to do this

Downloads
    Uploads

This was programed in V27 with Standard 4th Axis. I don't know if a spiral on a taper can be cut with unwrap.

In V27 Bob added spiral in 4th Axis standard Maybe Its the same in V4

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4 axis helical but-cone-spiral-jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by RAF. View Post
    This was programed in V27 with Standard 4th Axis. I don't know if a spiral on a taper can be cut with unwrap.

In V27 Bob added spiral in 4th Axis standard Maybe Its the same in V4
    yes V4 has the spiral rotary feature but I assumed that I would have to calculate a lot of variables , pitch, rotational speed, diameter and feed rate,but maybe I'm wrong. I will have to look into this. tech support said that the wrapping feature would absolutely work but it;s just a bit cumbersome compared to using 4 axis pro,. Hopefully i'll get a little break in work soon and be able to give both of these a try

Did you just pick a helical curve and were able to give it a spiral path and it worked? also, did you actually cut it or just simulate it?

Downloads
    Uploads

I just simulated it

I just laid a cone on its side saved as a stl for stock, scaled cone down in size, ran a 4 axis spiral on it. From what I have found it seems like with spiral its a continuous path and with wrap the tool picks up and re-enters from my testing.