Need Help! Z Level Rough

Thread: Z Level Rough

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Z Level Rough

I want to use the Z Level Rough 3 Axis toolpath to rough out a small part. I need to start with a 3mm end mill and rough the pocket and then switch to a 2mm and a 1mm.

Question: How do I avoid machining material which may have been removed by the previous tools?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Use a top and bottom of job setting. Be careful to note that the z level rough is looking at the "material to remove" and not the surfaces being machined. The toolpath will not make an extra step at a "lessor than step down value" to reach the "bottom of job" setting, so the next tool may have a bit more than the defined step down, unless you set the tops and bottoms to match the step down increment amount. Some imported 3d solids will carry "bounds data", somethiong like .002, so this has to be accounted for when setting your tops and bottoms correctly on the first passes.....

Also, rule #2.... Dont mention Z-level rough anymore. Use advanced rough.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been trying to create an Advanced Rough toolpath but it keeps ignoring the solid model and removing parts of the model I need to keep??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

fidia, if you can post your program ... "They" will be better able to help... or get a clear picture.... I can't quite picture what your doing... But I have found with a few parts... Even if they are solids.. extract the edges and machine as if they are 2d

Using CNC Masters Supra Knee Mill, 4 Axis vari speed. Bob Cad V-23, V26, Bob Art

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fidia View Post
    I have been trying to create an Advanced Rough toolpath but it keeps ignoring the solid model and removing parts of the model I need to keep??
    Be sure to select the entire model for the toolpath and constrain it with boundries. You cant just select some surfaces. It wont know where the other surfaces are.....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fidia can your provide a part to review. If you can't post it on the forum, you can PM me and I will take a look at it.