Changing part orientation/origin

Thread: Changing part orientation/origin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Changing part orientation/origin

Can you move the origin and orientation of a part?

Example: I draw a 3D model in SolidWorks. Then open it in BCC v21 and pick a surface I want to do a 2D profile on. If this happens to be a surface in the X,Z orientation for instance, then I need to change it to be X,Y to produce the G-code. Can you do that in BCC v21? Or do I need to do it in SW first? And if so .. how??

Also, if the model happens to have it's origin somewhere other than a corner, can I then move the origin, or somehow reference to another point? In other words, can I select my X0,Y0 point on the part, before creating the G-code, making it easier to locate the part on the machine.

SVM

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Changing part orientation and location

Highlight the part in BCC v21, then use Change. In the submenu you can translate and rotate the part.

Bob Parks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SVM View Post
    Can you move the origin and orientation of a part?

Example: I draw a 3D model in SolidWorks. Then open it in BCC v21 and pick a surface I want to do a 2D profile on. If this happens to be a surface in the X,Z orientation for instance, then I need to change it to be X,Y to produce the G-code. Can you do that in BCC v21? Or do I need to do it in SW first? And if so .. how??

Also, if the model happens to have it's origin somewhere other than a corner, can I then move the origin, or somehow reference to another point? In other words, can I select my X0,Y0 point on the part, before creating the G-code, making it easier to locate the part on the machine.

SVM
    Why not set an Origin in Solidworks before Importing into BobCad?????

This is easy to do in BobCAD though.

Select Solid Model>Extract Geometry
    Unselect All
    Point Menu> at intersection or Center of circle> and place your point where you want the origin.

Then Select All>Change Menu> Snap> No Copies> select the point you created then the X0Y0Z0 at the center of the drawing screen.

Done

Hope this helps

Cheers!!!

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I draw my parts in Alibre and hardly ever do I have it origined where it will needs machined.

Very easy to do in the rotate and the translate menus.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the suggestions, all were helpful.

Toby, If for instance the part is 3D, with machining required on several sides, then the origin on the SW part will not be in the right place for more than 1 operation at best. But that aside, how do you move the origin in SW??

I could not make the "Point Menu> at intersection or Center of circle> " thing work. I ended up placing a point as close to an end of a line as I could, but could not make it automatically select the endpoint, circle center or other feature. Ideas?

Bob, the rotate was what I needed for that, thanks.

After having rotated and moved the 2D part, I could not figure out how to make the tool path. I had that working before the rotate, but not after.
    I will play some more with it tomorrow.

Downloads
    Uploads

Steen
    You need to have the snap points enabled.
    File: Environment: Snap Points

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Set a new origin in Solid Works

I have never worked in BobCad, but do firmly agree with setting your origin in SolidWorks. Not only does that let you export correctly, but then you can print out 3D views for setups and get measurements that match the numbers on the machine.
    The easiest way I have found to do it is, ALWAYs use the Assembly Mode in SW, even if it is only a single part. Once you have your assy or part, bring it into a new SW assy file, for each set up on the machine. Then you can align it to the three basic Datum Planes and best of all, if your machine setup is not exactly like you expected you just go into that file and adjust the References to the as is condition for the set up. You now have your new numbers for that exact set up (very useful if you have often have to re-machine holding fixtures.)

Tom G

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The easiest way I have found to move parts and origins in SW is to use the Move/Copy feature.

Go to Insert, Features, Move/Copy and you can move or rotate the part to anywhere you want.

Sean

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default changing origin

There is a way in Solidworks where you can create part origin. Once you draw the part in SW go to drop down menu under Insert>Reference Geometry>Coordinate System or if you have it already as I do in my tool bar. Menu opens in feature tree and asks for origin position and next three asks direction reference for XYZ . Once you create your new Cordinate System and say OK you can rename it in the feature tree.
    When you save it as a file format (iges,step,parasolid,etc) under file>save as>their is an option tap-click that and the export options box comes up. At the bottom of box their is a drop down menu next to the words Output coordinate Sytem. Their you have a choice first saying default(which is the SW default) next you should see Coord System 1 or the new name you changed it to. Now except all so now when you import to your cam sytem it will have the orientation and part origin you want in that plane (XY,YZ,ZX). Hope that helps and that I understood you.
    good luck

JC

I use Surfcam and if I leave it as is from SW and bring it in it will be the frontview plane not the top.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, Played a little more yesterday and today. Trying to get some work done at the same time.

Arthur, Snap points were enabled, so something else went wrong.
    Good to "see you" btw! Coming your way again beginning of October.

I worked some with JC's suggestion of adding a new coordinate system and that works pretty good. Only negative is that it then has to be saved as an iges file instead of a regular SW file.
    Doing it this way, it would be fairly easy to save a number of different versions, all with different coordinate systems and origins to be used for machining different sides of the object. I think that will work well.

Sean, I could not figure out how to do the move/copy you mentioned! I am running an old version lf SW, 2003, so maybe its not an option?

Tom, I see your point with the assy files, but unfortunately BCC does not open SW assy files, so thats a no-go.

Steen

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SVM View Post
    Toby, If for instance the part is 3D, with machining required on several sides, then the origin on the SW part will not be in the right place for more than 1 operation at best. But that aside, how do you move the origin in SW??
    I have no idea how to do that in SW.

I use BCC for everything including Solid Modeling. Usually when I get a file from someone it is way out in space as if it were one part of a huge assembly. I use the Translate options first, then the Rotate. Being that 99.9% of these parts require multiple operations sometimes it is best to copy the original and save as each different rotational position for each operation. It helps to simplify programming for complicated parts.

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

SW should be able to export assembly files to either a step or iges format.

As for the move it works the same as all the previous versions.

Go to the cadcam trainer forum and sign up. You will get access to several V21 videos and you should see how it is done.

www.cadcamtrainer.com/forums/index.php

Otherwise the help files show you exactly how to do it!