Need Help! BobARt emboss Z heights

Thread: BobARt emboss Z heights

Downloads
    Uploads

Default BobARt emboss Z heights

Two things. How does Bobart interpret colors to Z height. If I say emboss .1" then Black is .1 and white is 0" or is it something else. I would like to control the depth little better by changing colors with photoshop.

2nd, BA places the bottom of image at Z zero. I tried to translate it down but image is not selectable. How can I manipulate the image

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: BobARt emboss Z heights

This video should help.

Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Al, but maybe I missed something. I’m working with raster image and all the same color, I need to recess an certain area. The only way I know is to change the colors in photoshop. Of course I have to learn how to do that.

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by artracing View Post
    Thanks Al, but maybe I missed something. I’m working with raster image and all the same color, I need to recess an certain area. The only way I know is to change the colors in photoshop. Of course I have to learn how to do that.

Rob

Should be greyscale gradient artracing.

Not super familier with photoshop, but it should be something like convert image to greyscale, then use a lighten and darken brush to manipulate hieghts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Should be greyscale gradient artracing.

Not super familier with photoshop, but it should be something like convert image to greyscale, then use a lighten and darken brush to manipulate hieghts.
    Yes, your right. I'm in the process of figuring that out. I need to change the darkness of that area without altering the texture. More education. I changed the darkness but it altered the texture but that does work. Just need to back pedal and not change surface texure.
    Thanks

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

And on the second question, you can use the bobart stock edit to set the entire emboss down in z....

Some of the emboss dialogues have a "base hieght" setting also for that.

Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up changing the surface color in photoshop and it gave me the depth I needed.
    .I wonder is I set boss depth to 1 inch for black and use 90 percent opaque black would the depth be point .9 inches?

Downloads
    Uploads

.I wonder is I set boss depth to 1 inch for black and use 90 percent opaque black would the depth be point .9 inches?
    No, i dont think so. I think it will be the "1" you set, and everything gradients down from that.....so, the highest point ("pixel") will be 1 inch.....

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I said that wrong. If I set depth to 1 inch, black will be one inch deep.
    If I add another color that is 90% Black. will that go to .9 inch’s and continue the gradient to white will I see the tool ramp to zero?
    Working in gray scale with raster image it seems to be working this way.
    I never educated myself in pixel/byte, values on how it all works in the digital world.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I said that wrong. If I set depth to 1 inch, black will be one inch deep.
    If I add another color that is 90% Black. will that go to .9 inch’s and continue the gradient to white will I see the tool ramp to zero?
    Working in gray scale with raster image it seems to be working this way.
    I never educated myself in pixel/byte, values on how it all works in the digital world.
    Yes, thats mostly how it works... the darkest pixel will be the 1 inch, whether pure black, or whatever it is..

But pretty sure the "levels" are a 255 grey scale. So doing a "90 %" wont get you to exacting depths like you are describing.

You will want to look at 255 as "a whole" then do your division and set a color value with the number...

Downloads
    Uploads

So a test would be to use the "90% mod" on your color, then use the color picker to check the new color value, and see how close to 90% of the original color you got.

When usimg the global type modifiers, 90% can be something different, because there are other parameters to the particular tools that can make "90% of a tool that mods at 45%" kind of situation.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Yes, thats mostly how it works... the darkest pixel will be the 1 inch, whether pure black, or whatever it is..

But pretty sure the "levels" are a 255 grey scale. So doing a "90 %" wont get you to exacting depths like you are describing.

You will want to look at 255 as "a whole" then do your division and set a color value with the number...
    I’ll have to do some experiments. Would be handy if it was that easy.
    Set the the most down level to pure black and percentage for all others.
    Photoshop uses percentage opaque. So 90% should equal 230 at the bytel level if that’s how it works.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a grey scale I use in Bobart to make heraldric items and here is what Bobart gives me. I set the material to 24X24x1. I make them large as I save as stl and use them in other programs.These are not the same but should give you an Idea what Bobart can do

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BobARt emboss Z heights-template-003-jpg   BobARt emboss Z heights-final-jpg  
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Gallchobhair View Post
    Here is a grey scale I use in Bobart to make heraldric items and here is what Bobart gives me. I set the material to 24X24x1. I make them large as I save as stl and use them in other programs.These are not the same but should give you an Idea what Bobart can do
    That's righteous!

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work Don

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the kind words. I would suggest to the OP go to youtube and look at all the videos on Bobart.
    I learned from those videos. there are quite a few.

The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.