Video 4 Axis Wrapping Group

Thread: 4 Axis Wrapping Group

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 4 Axis Wrapping Group

This video walks through the steps of setting up and using a wrapping group to engrave, drill, pocket and 3D surface machine with your 4th axis.

Similar Threads:
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 4 Axis Wrapping Group

Little confused about origin at top of part vs. center of rotation vs. geometry's Z dimention. Seems like there are three different Z 0.0 dimensions. Wouldn't it be better for origin and center of rotation to be the same and the geom Z0.0 set at G54 plus stock radius?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 4 Axis Wrapping Group

The drawing zero and the work offset zero do not need to be the same location. The work offset zero has to match the zero you set on the machine for the part.

When it comes to the wrapping group if you set the machine setup zero in any other position other then the center of rotation of the part you'll have to use the shift values to tell the software where the axis of rotation is.

There are reasons why programmers choose to set the machine setup on the axis of rotation of the part, and there are reason why shops will set the machine setup location on the OD of the part. I can't tell you which way is best for you, other then try both methods and see which one you like better.

Maybe someone else will chime in on why they like one method better than the other.

Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Downloads
    Uploads

Aldepoalo, I'm trying to follow the video as well as the helical gear you made using the wrapping group method. I know this is an old thread.

Now that V29+ have wrapped geometry as an option, can those same 3D surfaces be machined without unwrapping? I have not been successful in following wrapped 3D geometry like the cone and the helical gear. Maybe a redo of the cone and helical gear samples using the wrapped geometry approach, will enlighten the power of this wrapped geometry feature Bobcad offers. I just can't seem to find anything that does a wrapped geometry using wrapping group. s