Need Help! Tool path for multiple bosses

Thread: Tool path for multiple bosses

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool path for multiple bosses

Hello...one thing I really struggle with is a 2-axis tool path with multiple bosses to cut around.

BC always wants to cut off half of the bosses when I have to use side roughing to clear the area surrounding...even when using a tool too wide to even go through the gap.

Images shows two rough profile paths (1/2" and 1/8") with side roughing. Still not clearing the surface but cutting into both bosses....or raised letters in this case.

Any thoughts?

Thank you...
    Chuck

V:28 Mill Standard

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool path for multiple bosses-capture-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tool path for multiple bosses

There's other guys that are real experts, but I'll see if I can help a little. I can't see your cam tree, and my software is different (pro). Start by making the outer profile line a dashed line. Then be sure that your geometry is all connected and trimmed, so you can chain select the bosses/islands completely.- as a chain. Then I'd use a pocketing command. I chain select the outside profile first, then select each of the bosses/islands. Then be go through the rest of menu. My apologies if you know and have done this already.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you...I always draw a solid object to what I want and then program from that. Perhaps that is wrong and I should work off sketched lines. I am aware of the dashed line allowing cut through but doesn't work with solids.. So from the solid I do select all Z to get the full chain...or work off surfaces and on this I tried both...same luck.
    I tried both pocketing and profile and had best luck with profile.
    As I was re-sketching the borders of my solid to try your suggestion BC locked up so will be starting from scratch. (dummy didn't save yet). I will try without the solid and use sketches only to see how that goes.

Thanks for the feedback...it gives me direction. Cheers....

Downloads
    Uploads

draw in 2 D,dashed lines on perimeter of stock,machine with advance pocketing,,,look in help menu for more

Downloads
    Uploads

If you are looking for a zig zag pattern its in standard pocketing. Offset perimeter one tool dia. Select step over and lace angle

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    draw in 2 D,dashed lines on perimeter of stock,machine with advance pocketing,,,look in help menu for more
    Perfect plan Sir! Thank you very much!

Thank you all for looking and offering support.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool path for multiple bosses-capture-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Truth be told my solid part lines were not perfect either so reworking those in 2D and following your guys help...got it!