Need Help! v21 on win10 keeps crashing

Thread: v21 on win10 keeps crashing

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default v21 on win10 keeps crashing

Very consistently when I try to use the parallel line function with small increments bobcad will crash. Here lately it has begun crashing if I try to make a parallel line at 1.5mm. I had been making lines at larger increments such as 12mm, 20mm, with no issues. It seems to mostly crash with smaller increments, and mostly always when using parallel line function. Often it will crash right at startup, sometimes 3 or 4 times in a row, then it will work properly . It dosent always crash, but I can expect crashes if I try to use bobcad for several hours a couple days in a row.

I know its an old version of bobcad, but I paid for it, and would expect it to continue working. I have tried running in compatibility mode, and that seemed to work very briefly, but at another start up it is crashing again. Surely there is a way to make it work in win10.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: v21 on win10 keeps crashing

BobCAD V21 is quite old and will be a 32 bit application and it is probable that the install you have of Win 10 is a 64 bit one and that could possibly be your problem, only a guess mind you

P.S. I run V21 on a Win XP Pro PC and it runs perfectly, I have tried Win 10 on my other PC for BobCAD V28 and it is a problem with that, Win 10 is still in the "junk" stage from what i can see, it maybe OK for most stuff but for CAD-CAM software not for me, I went back to Win 7 Pro ! ! ! !

Regards
    Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Has anybody done the free upgrade that Micro offered Windows 7 to Windows 10 and then find problems as the OP has.
    From what I had heard from some that did the upgrade, switch back to Windows 7 wasn't so easy.
    Would it require reloading and older program say like V20 or V21 and have to call Bob for the unlock code which may be a problem on older versions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RAF. View Post
    Has anybody done the free upgrade that Micro offered Windows 7 to Windows 10 and then find problems as the OP has.
    From what I had heard from some that did the upgrade, switch back to Windows 7 wasn't so easy.
    Would it require reloading and older program say like V20 or V21 and have to call Bob for the unlock code which may be a problem on older versions.
    I doubt very much that BC will supply a new unlock code for older unsupported (That`s the key word "unsupported") software, others have tried without success.

To move forward with an older not so good PC to a newer one I have found the safest way is to "clone" the old Hard Drive on to a new SSD (Solid State Drive) or get it done for you at a decent Computer shop, so that you have exactly the same programs etc as before but in a new PC with a much faster SSD drive, faster processor (Big Dual Core as older BC doesn`t/can`t use multiple Quad etc cores), a lot more RAM and a much better/faster Graphics card all of which will be great on a new up to date Motherboard.

You still have the original OS but that is usually a good thing as all your software worked on it OK but not as quick as desired but should be much, much better with new hardware as above, worked fine for me with older softwares that won`t run on my 64 Bit Win 7 Pro PC, they are fine on XP Pro with better hardware

Just keep it as a "stand alone" not connected to the Internet for safety

P.S. Yes, I did try Win 10 but I had done an "image" of my drive with Win7 Pro before I installed the Win 10 upgrade, very, very glad I did as it was super easy to get back to Win 7 Pro when I found out how bad that particular version of Win 10 was, buying the latest version of Win 10 might now be OK but the upgrade one back then was "junk" ! ! !

Regards
    Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

I know this is "Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted" but it may help others who come later.

Once you have your CAD/CAM system running in a stable fashion do not bugger it about in any way, shape or form, it's a really good idea to:

1. Use the PC in question only for CAD/CAM
    2. Disable internet connectivity (You can do this and maintain local network connectivity)
    3. Avoid updates, upgrades and other OS changes unless you really need them and are sure they will not stuff your system

I know some people like it but at the moment Windows 10 is, in my opinion, a complete sack of Doo-Dah, aimed at "Gamers", "Surfers" and "Makers", it will probably be OK in a couple of years once they've listened to some serious productivity users and fixed it enough times, but personally at the moment I wouldn't touch it with yours! ;-)

- Nick

I seem to have taken long enough to finally submit this that Rob has covered the subject fully.

I quite like targeted ads if they're not intensely annoying so I'll enable ads when your advertisers stop using annoying sounds, annoying slideshows and annoying animations

Downloads
    Uploads

still in the dark ages with windows 7 here also

not a problem at all

Downloads
    Uploads

Stick to 32 bit win7 in and slightly older computer. Too much crap happening in win10.

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the input. I will see about running another OS on this computer. Unfortunately, its all I have. Actually my cnc computer is a win7 tower, but its in the garage, and I like to do cad work in doors. Yes, this laptop is running a 64 bit OS. OK,, so with some help from my kids,, this might be fixable. Separate os for the cad 32 bit if thats possible.