Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help with angled pocket on BobCad

This is what I get...

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

I would think you would get a rough bottom finish (scallop) unless using very small dia cutter with very small step over

Might be faster to set body at 1 degree angle and cut neck pocket then lay flat and cut body contour

Sustain Sustain

Just a thought

Checked your last post looks pretty good to me from my calcs

.250 cutter at .100 step over @ 1deg = .0002 scallop
    .250 cutter at .100 step over @ 3deg = .0007 scallop
    .250 cutter at .100 step over @ 5deg = .0011 scallop

Last edited by RAF.; 07-23-2017 at 02:21 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

To get a .0002 scallop with a 1/4 Ball,,,,,you need a .01414 step-over, which is about a RA 67 finish,,Maybe a hair of a fraction less due to the 1 degree,,,,what math are you using RAF?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    To get a .0002 scallop with a 1/4 Ball,,,,,you need a .01414 step-over, which is about a RA 67 finish,,Maybe a hair of a fraction less due to the 1 degree,,,,what math are you using RAF?
    looking at SaintBlues tool call he is using a .250 flat which I can under stand if bottom corner radius is not wanted
    my calcs are based off using a flat EM I think my calcs are correct

most guitar neck pockets with bolt on necks have a 90 deg corner just like my 1960 stratocaster

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Saint,

Your build is the issue. You will need to contact the support department at 727-489-0003 to update to the newer build. That file was created in V29. It will be the same general steps I gave to create the pocket I gave you, but instead of rotating the plane 3 degrees, you need to rotate it 1 degree. As far as toolpath, if you are just using 3x standard, you will be limited by what is possible, due to the defined shape you are doing, You can try maybe using slice radial to machine the bottom angle.

Downloads
    Uploads

What I can see is the vertical wall of the pocket towards the pups have a scallop which I think can be solved by copy and paste your existing and change the pattern to 0 deg. and lead in would be set at plunge

If Standard offers 3axis Wire Frame I would think it could be cleaned up with it and would not require the second copied feature.

These are just my thoughts

Looks like its going to be a nice Guitar
    Good Luck

Last edited by RAF.; 07-23-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Good thread,
    Here is how i solved it on 3axis with a fixture and tooling balls,
    This makes the neck AND pickup pockets true to the 1959 print.
    Basic sine plate and part locating fixture
    This plate indexes all body top/bottom parts both sides and locates for final 4 deg cuts after glue-up.
    Fixture plate does all the routine 3axis sculpting also.
    Cheap production tooling on a run of ten bodies of very expensive wood. custom sculpted top curves

I hope this offers an old school alternative from before my time.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help with angled pocket on BobCad-unkown-misc-077-jpg   Need help with angled pocket on BobCad-neck-1-bottom-jpg   Need help with angled pocket on BobCad-imag0322-2-jpg   Need help with angled pocket on BobCad-angled-fixture-1-jpg  

Need help with angled pocket on BobCad-angled-fixture-2-jpg   Need help with angled pocket on BobCad-angled-fixture-3-jpg  
    Been doing this too long

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, I am reading all of this. First, I am a newbie. I have only messed with CAD/ CAM for about 3 months. My real question is can BobCad create a tool path for an open pocket with an angled bottom. Also, if it can, how is it done. I am sure I can build a fixture so I would not have to learn 3X milling, but I want to learn how to use this function. I have already successfully milled the rest of the instrument, it is only the neck pocket that I need. So how do I use the wizard in BobCad to get the toolpath correct. Thank you, This discussion and forum have already helped me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, just like your strat but a 91 degree corner on the x to z axis

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SaintBlues View Post
    Okay, I am reading all of this. First, I am a newbie. I have only messed with CAD/ CAM for about 3 months. My real question is can BobCad create a tool path for an open pocket with an angled bottom. Also, if it can, how is it done. I am sure I can build a fixture so I would not have to learn 3X milling, but I want to learn how to use this function. I have already successfully milled the rest of the instrument, it is only the neck pocket that I need. So how do I use the wizard in BobCad to get the toolpath correct. Thank you, This discussion and forum have already helped me.
    For being at it for 3 months nice work
    As for a good answer to your question even a wizard might not be able to help answer.
    From my experience in 3d work even with the pro version scallop is always your enemy. As I true to show in earlier post more angle increased the scallop. A smaller tool Dia and closer step over will give better finishes on can take hours to run. For a Les Paul top big ball mill and small step over for smoother surface finish.

I think my reply would have to be some trial and error.

Good luck
    RAF

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Luckily time is not a problem. So I will experiment with a smaller bit and step over. I will post an update probably tomorrow or Tuesday.

Downloads
    Uploads

You have been given a few ways,,,I can include another,but you need Pro,,,,HOWEVER,,,there is no way to do it %100 perfect with a 3 axis machine,when you need sharp corners at the bottom of the pocket with an angle...Scallops will occur,albeit minimal if done right.Sand out a little....I know you are looking for a smoking gun to do this perfectly,,,,well,,if that is the case,,,you have 2 choices,,,,
    1st do what a Machinist would do,,as the kind gentleman suggested and that looks like he has dealt with that exact situation.Although I am curious if it is acceptable for the perpindicular wall,opposite of the opening to also have a 1 degree angle??
    Build a fixture,if you need more/different ideas for fixturing,,,just ask,,,
    2nd choice would buy a 4th axis or better 5 axis machine

It really does not matter who's 3 axis software you buy,,,,you going to end up with scallops...albeit small,,,but nevertheless not picture perfect,,,,impossible

I know ,hard wrap your head around it,I understand,,,,Best way to learn is keep on trying different methods,,,,you will get it soon.

Now if a radius corner was allowed on the bottom of the pocket,,,things change,,,a little
    either way,,you still won't be perfect,,,but close
    To make it perfect,you got to tilt the guitar with a jig,, or have a machine capable of doing the tilting for you

Downloads
    Uploads

PS,I only have V29 as Demo

Maybe someone with 29 can show you with a video ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    PS,I only have V29 as Demo

Maybe someone with 29 can show you with a video ?
    I appreciate all the help. I am still working on it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I appreciate all the help. I am still working on it.

Sorry about the type-o errors in last post Typing on phone at the lake is like playing guitars with a small nut
    with my fat fingers

Some samples
    Done in v27 using standard type features and from what info I had to check the standard version 29 does
    include 3D Wire Frame (yea)

All of the bottoms are at a 5 deg slant which multiplies that enemy (scallop)
    I used Planar and then a 3D Wire Frame cut (using the single line bottom geom of the slanted bottom/cut to
    option for wall clean up.

One thing to note is that all of the walls will be at vertical 90Deg ( it may be possible to use a 1 deg tapered
    EM (end mill) for 3D wire frame cut if a draft on the pocket is desired.

Again these are only my thoughts but may give some ideas on experimenting

RAF

sample 1 ----- 5deg .250 ball EM .250 @ .100 step over/.250 flat EM 3D wire frame

sample 2 ----- 5deg .250 flat EM @ .100 step over/.250 flat EM 3D wire frame

sample 3 ----- 5deg .125 ball EM @ .05 step over/ .125flat EM 3D wire frame

sample 4 ----- 5deg .125 flat EM @ .05 step over/ .125flat EM 3D wire frame

3D wire frame

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help with angled pocket on BobCad-sample-1-5deg-250-ball-em-250-a   Need help with angled pocket on BobCad-sample-2-5deg-250-flat-em-100-a   Need help with angled pocket on BobCad-sample-3-5deg-125-ball-em-05-a   Need help with angled pocket on BobCad-sample-4-5deg-125-flat-em-05-a  

Need help with angled pocket on BobCad-3d-wire-frame-jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12