Need Help! V29 slow to save

Thread: V29 slow to save

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy V29 slow to save

I have recently made a 3D shape and it takes a very long time to save and recalculate changes etc., 30 minutes or more. Is there any way to speed this up?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: V29 slow to save

Calum

First thing to do would be to check in the folder where you saved the file and see what the file size is

If it isn`t a very big file then that would suggest a PC issue, ie not powerful enough, V29 does require quite a lot of computer resources.

If it is a very big file that would suggest that you have used many operations to create the 3D model, have a look at your "CAM Tree" on the left, the more operations in there then the larger the file will be.

If you are happy with the final Model then one way to reduce the file size quite dramatically is to copy and paste just the solid model into a new document and save that under a different name.
    This way you don`t carry over all the operations in your "CAM Tree" so a much smaller file

You can then save the original if you want at the end of the day or work period just leaving the PC to save the original while you drive home, but if you are happy with the saved smaller file then you can just delete the original !!

If you have generated a lot of 3D toolpaths with very small DOC and Stepovers that will also make for a larger file, if need be do several files with fewer features in each file.
    When working with 3D models the number of faces really bumps up the file size, for example creating threads or multiple grooves in a Model will greatly increase the file size, nice to show actual threads but if they are not needed for actual machining then they don`t need to be shown unless it is for presentation for the customer etc

Hope that helps a little
    Regards
    Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the suggestions.

The File is around 86MB, is this large? I have tried saving as an STL seemed to help a bit, file size is 59MB. My PC is an I& 6 core running at 3.3 GHz with 16 G RAM a 256G flash and 4 t HDD raid. I'll have a look at the CAM tree if/when v29 finishes its save.

Cheers
    Calum

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    Hi Rob,

The File is around 86MB, is this large? I have tried saving as an STL seemed to help a bit, file size is 59MB. My PC is an I& 6 core running at 3.3 GHz with 16 G RAM a 256G flash and 4 t HDD raid. I'll have a look at the CAM tree if/when v29 finishes its save.

Cheers
    Calum
    I think rob may be refering to the CAD tree operations.

If the toolpath is a very heavy path, there wont be much way to speed that up. I've seen people with 6 foot long, .005 stepovers! Lol

Downloads
    Uploads

Also, did you do something like open an older version file and go to work on it?

My brother hates this part, but i force him to work in only like versions. Since we stay "current", this forces him to jump through that hoop.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Also, did you do something like open an older version file and go to work on it?

My brother hates this part, but i force him to work in only like versions. Since we stay "current", this forces him to jump through that hoop.

Big 10-4 there,,

Another thing I have found,since I am so good at solids (ha,ha),,once I finally get to where I want ,,,start over in a brand new file and draw from scratch

It is like 10X faster the next time,,,you also aren't constantly editing/deleting/and doing stupid stuff,like I do,,,,it's like somehow,,,something,somewhere is keeping track of all the unnecessary moves that you took to get to the finish line..All adds up to baggage in the end

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks BurrMan,

Yeah I looked at the CAD tree, there's no too much there. Saves were slow without tool path. My part is 1 metre long with a 5 mm DOC and 1.5 mm stepover.

No I don't use the older versions of BC so this shouldn't be the problem.

Cheers
    Calum

Downloads
    Uploads

So roughly 36 inches with .05 stepover. If the doc adds any, that compounds. I would say thats alot of toolpath. But it shouldnt be 30 minutes worth.

You can use task manager with the performance monitor to look at whats happening. You can either attch the file so we xan look at it, or we can drudge through looking at whats running on your computer etc.

Just the other day, my friends computer wouldnt do anything anymore. He had 2 virus softwares (a big no no) and 4 "help me with spams" installed. Took him down to his base virus software and voila, he thinks i'm genious! Lol

Downloads
    Uploads

you are a genius in some of our minds

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rob,

Cheers
    Calum
    Hi Calum

That is a fairly large file, however it still shouldn`t be taking 30 + minutes to save, I can only assume it is a pretty complicated shape. Can you post a screen grab image? I don`t think you will be able to upload the file even Zipped up it will probably be too large for the Forum allowances.

Re the PC, sounds reasonable enough, only thing I can see that would slow it down would be the RAID setup, I dumped mine years ago for just that reason, other thing might be the HDDs, if they are standard disc type drives then they will be slow, if that is the case and you are able to I recommend you replace with SSD (Solid State Drive) type, the difference in speed is amazing and well worth the money as long as you buy quality ones.

Burr is right, I was referring to the CAD tree, typo

Don`t save it out as an STL, you won`t be able to work on it again in BobCAD, always save out as the native BobCAD file for yourself, if you need to save out for a customer or an outside machine shop then save as a .STEP or a .IGES file.

As jrmach rightly says, everything you do is saved in the bowels of the file from the CAD Tree (Got it right this time ) so by copying just the solid into a new BobCAD document will leave the CAD Tree behind and make for a much smaller file

Regards
    Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Task manager and Resource Monitor is no help just says BC is not responding with CPU staying about the same all the time, the memory used by BC is around 3GB and no disk activity.

Not sure about viruses but my anti-virus and malware are up to date.

Downloads
    Uploads

Task manager and Resource Monitor is no help just says BC is not responding with CPU staying about the same all the time, the memory used by BC is around 3GB and no disk activity.

Not sure about viruses but my anti-virus and malware are up to date.
    Start by going into your antivirus software and excluding the 2 bobcad folders from its monitoring.

Be sure you dont have "2 antivirus softwares" loaded.

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: V29 slow to save

Thanks BurrMan that seems to have fixed things you are a hero.

Cheers
    Calum

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks BurrMan that seems to have fixed things you are a hero.

Cheers
    Calum
    Wow.... talk about luck! Lol.

Hope it sticks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Use the merge feature under the file pulldown menu, be just all your work is complete because it shortens the cam tree immensely. Merge into a new file and save it as such. Peace

The end result is directly connected to the effort applied

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: V29 slow to save

I think the my problem was the fact that I captured a curve with a probe and this made a lot of short lines which may not have been a smooth curve. The solid I made using this curve had a few strange facets. I fixed this by using the best fit spline to trace the curve then used this to build my model, everything then worked fine including save time etc.