Need Help! Bobcad V26 bug when dragging

Thread: Bobcad V26 bug when dragging

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bobcad V26 bug when dragging

I posted this on the bobcam site forum. 2 days later it is not there. I should expect their site to work has half ass a the program.

Guess what, to discuss a bug with their tech support, you must PAY THEM to get access to talk about the bug.

So here is the bug. Over the past year I have noticed many times that lines and arcs have been ending up on different z planes than 0. I never work other than z0. I have many many hours going in a moving lines and arcs back up to z0, not knowing how they got to weird places like z ,0007, Z-.0015 etc then finally a few days ago I caught the bug in action. On some parts when I drag them to a new location they go to a different z plane. In the examples you can see a part in one place at z0, then I drag it over just a little and the z changes to .0007. The bug is not cumulative, I can drag it more times and it stays at .0007. All the lines and arcs start at z0. Strangely, many parts can be dragged and will stay on z0. I cannot find a reason why some will change. But, this it a real pain in the butt and has cost me tons of time over the part year having to go back in and move parts in z back to where they belong. One other thing is that when you drag a part and it changes z plane, then start connecting those parts to other parts on z0 the madness begins as you have lines and arcs created between parts on z0 and z? Those are infuriating to go in a fix as it is not a simple and taking the parts and modify the begin and end z.

I really wish I were not so entrenched in bobcad with my designs, I'd love to change. I like lots of things about it, but it costs me lots of times with the weird bugs. How do I know that spending money on V29 will fix the issue?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bobcad V26 bug when dragging-2-jpg   Bobcad V26 bug when dragging-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bobcad V26 bug when dragging

I have no answer WHY?
    But I have on occasion had it happen a few times
    Not an answer,but a suggestion,,,when you done drawng,,, do planar and project curves to surfaces,,,however that ain't a good answer really
    I don't have it happen too much,,,I also have a feeling when you "sometimes" do an Entity summary and you notice some stuff off by a few tenths,,,,sometimes yes and sometimes NO,,,actually Entity summary is what you call "Bounds" data and it don't always tell you exactly the place in space...I really don't know how to explain it,,,but I know some do,,,hopefully they chime in

Downloads
    Uploads

I am sure you have your CAD tolerance set to .0001,,,right ?

I have found if you can chain select,,,usually good to go,,,but I really have no answer to that happening

Downloads
    Uploads

A sample file would help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After Burrman asked for a sample I went to a larger file and grabbed a part that was plaguing me and made a small sample file. To demonstrate how to create the bug I think I solved the mystery.

What I discovered is, if you have a group of items you want to drag, and all items are on z0, then if you take any one line and modify it to be on z -.01 ( see the before move image), so that now ONLY ONE line only is at z-.01 then do the drag tool, select all items in one mouse swipe, drag anywhere. The result is that now ALL the lines and arcs are now at .005! It does some strange averaging to change the one line that was - .01 to -.005 but it also took all the other items and moved them to -.005.

Strangely, I don't know how any of my items are EVER getting above or below z0 because I never work with z above or below 0 except in rare cases. Now that I see how the effect is happening it will help understand the issue, but will not really solve it as I don't know how to stop items getting off z0.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bobcad V26 bug when dragging-move-jpg   Bobcad V26 bug when dragging-move-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No need for a sample file. I can create a blank file, add several lines, modify one line to somewhere below z0 and drag all, then they all drift away from z0 in some averaging scheme.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tchapman1000 View Post
    No need for a sample file. I can create a blank file, add several lines, modify one line to somewhere below z0 and drag all, then they all drift away from z0 in some averaging scheme.
    Well, bobcad being primarily a cam package most definitely works out of UCS's. If you have an arc at z 6 inches and use translate it will be working at ZERO unless you use a proper pick pick, or pick enter method. No bug there.

The idea that you have multiple plane levels being "averaged" between an arbitrary "drag zero" doesnt sound too odd to me.

Maybe take a look at the sketch/enter option to help yoirself out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sketch/Enter will definitely work properly, but wouldn't we also expect that a click in space (drag from) to a click in space (drag to) would default to current UCS (Z value)? Maybe I'm missing something. Incidentally, this anomaly happens in V27 and V28 as well. I drew four lines in the TOP UCS and changed the z-start and z-end of one line, then translated with drag, I would expect my left clicks (from/to) in space to both have z values of 0 (zero), therefore no translation should occur in the z-axis. Just my thoughts.

Steve
    V28/29 4x Pro, Haas VF-3SSYT, Haas SL-30

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Alf0412 View Post
    Sketch/Enter will definitely work properly, but wouldn't we also expect that a click in space (drag from) to a click in space (drag to) would default to current UCS (Z value)? Maybe I'm missing something. Incidentally, this anomaly happens in V27 and V28 as well. I drew four lines in the TOP UCS and changed the z-start and z-end of one line, then translated with drag, I would expect my left clicks (from/to) in space to both have z values of 0 (zero), therefore no translation should occur in the z-axis. Just my thoughts.
    You are expecting your click "In space" to be returning a specific value? Ok.

But, what you are "expecting" is that the CAD space uses something called "Projection planes" (Which BobCad as a Primarily CAM package, DOESNT have or use). So the expectation is off a bit.

It could have been a "request" for V26, but that's kindof moot now, as we look forward to V30! They've been upgrading the CAD side a bit more lately than in the past!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I see that sketch enter is an alternative, I never used it that way to move parts incrementally but I can get used to it. My opinion is this is a bug and dragging items from any point to another should retain their z plane for any parts.

Incidentally, bobcad's forum seems absolutely pointless. I posted there about this, it was there then it was gone. They deserve their reputation. With the same time and energy and money they spend calling people non stop to try to sell them stuff they could have improved their product and service and made happier clients.

Downloads
    Uploads

One point only,,,,,,,,,BoB never calls me non-stop trying to sell me anything,,,,wth?????????Matter of fact,I downloaded V29,finally a month ago,only because I wanted to help someone with a problem on this forum and that is what they were using,,,,to this day I have not received 1 call to my knowledge,to upgrade from V28,,,Weird ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

tchapman1000,

Give us a call tomorrow and we can go over this with. Just let the receptionist know that I sent you from the forums.